DayZ (Mod for ARMA II) - Page 2

DayZ (Mod for ARMA II)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: DayZ (Mod for ARMA II)

Post by rattle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF2TGJtGhOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-tW8F-Lhk

here's some ingame footage that reflects actual gameplay.
gajop

Post by gajop »

i see that's how you attach models onto units: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Lhk#t=299s
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

So its basically counterrstrike plus survival horror?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

And the horror is other people.
knorke

Post by knorke »

the horror is you. :shock:
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I cant wait for the first zombie farmers, running in circles, with them zombies on there tails, suicide running towards players with good equipment, killing them simply by there trail. Now make that a bot, and you know where all the zombies went.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

the horror is people executing scripts that put you mid air
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

DayZ, DayZ
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

SinbadEV wrote:DayZ, DayZ
Ahah, that's effin hilarious. But honestly though, that's how much fun DayZ can be sometimes.
WombatReturns

Post by WombatReturns »

Watched bunch of gameplay vids and no matter where did i skip, dude was always running forward in the middle of nowhere, lol... I can also guess playing it without mic is pointless?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

The problem is.. it doesent really supply the whole arsenal of human interaction. You cant held people hostage. You cant make them drug addicts. You cant really fall in luv or have a baby with someone. All this crazy shit that you see in zombie apocalypse movies cant happen yet. And you dont really get benefits for cooperation, because everybody is equally skilled yet.. world would be completely diffrent if weapos could be manufactured.. suddenly cooperativas would hold the arrow market..

Or just imagine you could shepard zombies..take some meet and drag it on a rope.. and you cant become infected unbeknown to you. That would be the coolest thing.. if you never know it.. and have just turned.. and if you see a zombie, and you shoot on it, you are actually a zombie yourself, and might be biting your best friend at that very moment...
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

WombatReturns wrote:Watched bunch of gameplay vids and no matter where did i skip, dude was always running forward in the middle of nowhere, lol... I can also guess playing it without mic is pointless?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYgP_fRKXRo - Gameplay featuring the biggest city of the mod.
The reason why people mostly roam into forests and stay there is simply that it's less likely to get killed by another player, out of sights. And it can be exciting as well, just that most of the time you just tend to roam around without any real destination.

Playing with a group is recommended yes, playing alone can be fun as well but you have to look over your shoulder a lot more and you don't really want to explore any of the big cities.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I think it's interesting to note that humans, devoid of consequence, are willing to kill each other for the best stuff... that's probably why we have religion I guess.
gajop

Post by gajop »

SinbadEV wrote:I think it's interesting to note that humans, devoid of consequence, are willing to kill each other for the best stuff... that's probably why we have religion I guess.
No, that's why we have the rule of law, otherwise I'd happily sacrifice you to Cthulhu.
Just wait, depending on the way it works, you might just see some sort of "rule of law", just like you had that in certain EVE sectors - http://www.cva-eve.org/index.php?page=o ... eliverance
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Establishing the rule of law:

Stage one, someone get's really strong and figures out it's safer and more profitable to threaten people into doing things for them then just to kill them and take their stuff.

Stage two, the oppressed masses start working together because they fear reprisal.

Stage three, eventually the oppressed masses are collectively stronger than the "leader" and stage a rebellion.

The rebel leaders takes the place of the old leader and this cycle continues until there are enough leaders to create a bureaucracy at which point people no longer blame the leaders for their oppression but their fellow oppressed people and laws are crafted to control the behaviour of their neighbours.

I bet it wouldn't take long for a group of committed players playing regularly for a government to be established on a server.

That said... the "religion" option... provided it works... bypasses all the first three stages and skips right to the establishment of laws... but unless the creators of the game are willing to put a hell in there for player-killing players to go to when they are player-killed (or maybe they are reincarnated as a lesser being)... it's not going to happen in video games... in real life no-one can empirically prove where we go when we die so the fear of the unknown is sufficient. in a video game you know you just re-spawn just as well as a good guy or a bad-guy.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

last night was bad. the server i play on was wiped, so i no longer have my tent or my truck or my fleet of ATVs or my trusty, rusty bicycle (greenie i will miss you most of all)

and then i got thunderdomed, so no more heatscoped autosniper

sinbad i don't think you understand this game, maybe you should buy it and play it
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

KaiserJ wrote: sinbad i don't think you understand this game, maybe you should buy it and play it
Pretty sure he was joking...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
KaiserJ wrote: sinbad i don't think you understand this game, maybe you should buy it and play it
Pretty sure he was joking...
Joking... and I don't have a computer that meets the minimum requirements... I can barely play Facebook games these days.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i understand what you're saying in your post; playing the game puts you in a sandbox to experiment, in order to provide verification for these hypothetical situations you are wondering about. it's a lot more fun to actually TRY the strategies and ideas that you have about the end of the world albeit in an unrealistic environment, which i firmly believe is the overall appeal of this game beyond exploring and PvP

i would take your bet, and collect my dues in sardines and blood
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

KaiserJ wrote:i understand what you're saying in your post; playing the game puts you in a sandbox to experiment, in order to provide verification for these hypothetical situations you are wondering about
One of my points is that it is not an adequate sandbox if there is no reason to behave like a "human"

Perhaps I'm just going to be the first person to get shot when the revolution or apocalypse comes but it seems to me that there is some reason... aside from those practical and self-serving... for people to not kill one another.

My other point is that if you get enough people who are willing to not kill each other and make sure that anyone who does kill someone suffers for it... you have the fundamental framework of a government. If these servers were left on long enough I feel like the natural outcome would invariably be a few people in a position of power over the majority.

(again, said from only here-say knowledge of the game)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”