Unreal Engine 4....

Unreal Engine 4....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Unreal Engine 4....

Post by Karl »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ZrK_AFlrx8

Do you see those particle system? I am jealous about it right now...

I wish we had this on Spring engine too...
SinbadEV

Re: Unreal Engine 4....

Post by SinbadEV »

Back in teh day there was a "Unreal Annihilation" project.
Huh... I wonder if those models could be harvested for BAR...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Then make a better alternative Karl.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

I actually had the unreal annihilation models and textures, and when I started converting them, I started to realize it was very muddy and the same low poly models. So no, they cannot be harvested and the licenses involved... I'm not sure if I could find the creator of the models.

Too long to read? Unreal Models: No.

Also, hai guiyz.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Das Bruce wrote:
What was that run on?
Something unreal. Hurr

Anyway, I can say now after working with UE3 for a bit, that the biggest and probably most useful thing about UE4 will be dynamic bounce lighting. (At least for me.) Baked lighting can be sort of a pain after a while, even though it looks a lot better than dynamic lighting. Lighting is really the name of the game for engine innovation as of late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8

That's probably a more realistic video of what will be feasible with it, with current high end specs.

The realtime cinematics they do are always a bit rigged. (See Samaritan tech demo for UE3.) The reason they have so much detail in the game space at a time is because that's the only game space in the demo.

--

As far as those particle systems are concerned (flow fields and whatnot) it'd be pretty useless for an rts. Sprites work fine provided you know how to make sed sprites.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Isn't that the same video?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Oh my bad. I thought he posted this one for some reason. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9CPqSKjTU
aegis

Post by aegis »

All of the Unreal demos are run on 1-3 GTX 680s iirc. The original demo with the guy on the roof with a cigarette was originally run on 3x 480s, and now on a single 680.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Is this true for the env demo for UE3 as well? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XahF-3 ... re=related

If so that's way overkill. They released that demo with UDK downloads as a showcase and I ran it with a single Radeon 6850 at 60-70fps.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote:Then make a better alternative Karl.
If you mean about how CEG should be handled then I already did but apparently no pucks has been given for it and that 2x... Well Knorke gaved a pucks about it
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl wrote:
If you mean about how CEG should be handled then I already did but apparently no pucks has been given for it and that 2x... Well Knorke gaved a pucks about it
I don't recall you doing any code no.
gajop

Post by gajop »

smoth wrote:
Karl wrote:
I don't recall you doing any code no.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 7&p=519873
smoth

Post by smoth »

That has nothing to do with HOW CEGs should be handled to be "better." It is just using CEGs.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Mr. Bob wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:
What was that run on?
Something unreal. Hurr

Anyway, I can say now after working with UE3 for a bit, that the biggest and probably most useful thing about UE4 will be dynamic bounce lighting. (At least for me.) Baked lighting can be sort of a pain after a while, even though it looks a lot better than dynamic lighting. Lighting is really the name of the game for engine innovation as of late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8

That's probably a more realistic video of what will be feasible with it, with current high end specs.

The realtime cinematics they do are always a bit rigged. (See Samaritan tech demo for UE3.) The reason they have so much detail in the game space at a time is because that's the only game space in the demo.

--

As far as those particle systems are concerned (flow fields and whatnot) it'd be pretty useless for an rts. Sprites work fine provided you know how to make sed sprites.
I was most impressed by the particle/light interaction. There are potential game play ramifications of being able to see light sources through volumetric fog. Especially for horror games. With some playing it should be able to do flamethrowers/napalm that isn't totally unrealistic crud.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”