Diablo III - Page 2

Diablo III

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Diablo III

Post by smoth »

All of zwzsg's points. I agree with them.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I think the most interesting thing to happen with Diablo 3's release is that the genre is going to shift from "Diablo clones" to "action RPGs". That is, Diablo's fumbled with the community and theres a good selection of other titles on the horizon.

Randomization, as a feature, is great. And frankly I feel the escapist guy just uses whatever he can to create an "entertaining" rant. And if not, he's not the kind of person I want to hang around.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

There was a bit of variety but nothing major, certainly nothing on par with the crazy shit you get in an EDF game.
smoth

Post by smoth »

was the pc one any good?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Not really. It has a butchered difficulty balance, crap weapon variety (basically they just recycle every weapon like 5 times for different gear levels), bullet-spongy enemies and nerfs the loot element to hell by level gating all of it. Oh and it has grind for the level ups. There are some upsides (online play, multiple player classes) but overall it's a crappy game. They don't even have the decency of letting you fight the alien mothership.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

KDR_11k wrote:
rattle wrote:I've played Boringlands for as much as 48 hours for two playthroughs. Terrible game, terrible game! Once you've seen it all there isn't really anything to pull you back into it.
It even has the same feeling of "I don't like playing this but I don't have anything better to do either". I suppose that's the effect of basic conditioning as MMOs usually use it. I mean, I like loot games but I want to actually feel like a piece of loot is something new, not just a barely perceptible stat change. Hellgate had tons of interesting loot and allowed you a lot of tuning potential to really get the guns you want but Boringlands or Diablo 3 just give you numbers that you can't really feel and sometimes gives you stuff with bigger numbers that still feels the same.
In Diablo 3 you will eventually have a character that can kill the bosses within minutes and one shots everything else (see this Athene guy). Once you are at this point there is very little left that will keep you at it. You will know all the skill combinations to get through the game the quickest way and it boils down to pressing a couple of buttons, kinda like an arcade game. The way is the goal but if the goal you are working towards to is so obvious and bland how much fun can you have... maybe I'm just a pessimist and realist but for me it is like this:

Often even before the point of seen it all you can expect what is left there to see and what you are very likely to to see is basically what you have been seeing in past games but in a new dress. So the excitement never really kicks in (for me). I wish I was 12 again not so biased due to past experiences.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I wouldn't compare it to an arcade game, those are usually short and varied.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Diablo 3 is a pay to win game...
I cant imagine how they will manage to keep this element out of the pvp when its released.
I bought D3.
I have 2 level 60 characters(max level) and I have finished it on all difficulty levels and every single step is just a gear check.
All you need to do is farm/buy gold and you can destroy any mob or boss without any skills except the ability to click a mouse button.
This game requires no skill and if you do have a bit more brains and reflexes than the average player those small extra maneuverings and micro wont be able to boost your actual game performance because of the constant lags.

It is really a 7-7.5/10 game and only because all the visuals and sound are nicely polished and feel endearing.
This is not Lost Vikings or Warcraft 1 or 3...
Do not buy this game.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

[Stop being a dick - mod]

-0.5/10? that makes sense
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

7-7.5/10

In other words, a 7 to 7.5 out of 10. Stop trolling.
smoth

Post by smoth »

He was not trolling it was just a play on how that would have been mathematically resolved.
gajop

Post by gajop »

so basically 6.25?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I think I get it now. Rattle wasn't taking a stab at Rumpelstiltskin, he was making a joke on Rumpelstiltskin's post saying that it came out to -0.5/10, and saying that that makes sense, because the game sucks (in his opinion).

I understand it now. That isn't how it reads at all though.

Rattle you should be more careful how you punctuate (or lack thereof in this case) your sentences, so that they don't get misunderstood.
Turpentine

Post by Turpentine »

better be carefull there youngsters else you make admin mad with jokes he does not understand
seen it happen in many forums :) :D :!:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

[Stop being a mod - dick]

stop issuing moderator warnings or I may get banned and I'll tell my mom then and she'll kick you in the balls
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

>> implying the mods are not allready into that, and not allready had that experience with your mum

[that should do the trick you sick-]
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

So apparently some linux users have been getting perma-banned for running with WINE. Not cheating, just trying to run a single-player game on a linux distro. Something to do with wine appearing to modify the game somehow, but they've been pretty unapologetic to players who have reported the problem to them.

Epic drama thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022

If there is anything simultaneuously more hilarious and enraging than Blizzard's handling of the problem, its the comments from some of the other players.

Here is a taste:
thats what u get for using a horrible OS, nerd

So the problem is you are using linux for gaming and you are having issues? Really??

Linux isn't supported. I looked up sys req and mac and windows only. How do you expect ANY support for something unsupported? Why would you play thru linux when it says clearly you need windows or mac software??

Grab your D3 box, and tell me where it says Linux Supported Im glad you got banned, one less IDIOT around. 0/10 for another tween crying on the forums

Secondly, Blizzard announced / stated BEFORE release that LINUX IS NOT ALLOWED.

Linux is not supported. Get over yourself.
One of my favorites:
haha cheater, you got banned

BY THE WAY, LESSON LEARNED THERE PENGUIN F*****!

WHEN THE BOX SAYS ``WINDOWS REQUIRED``

THAT MEANS ........ YOU HAVE TO ? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM READ ?
Solid Gold
gajop

Post by gajop »

luckywaldo7 wrote:CRAPPY FUD
Please don't do that here.
You're posting random internet trolling and OS wars and attaching that to Blizzard.
In my past experience, Blizzard games have worked nearly flawlessly on linux in wine: wc3, sc1, wow. I would be surprised if they haven't at least tested it in wine, even if they're not offering official support for it.

Basically, wow had Warden too, yet I and many other linux users never got banned for playing it - mostly because we didn't think linux would magically protect us from cheating.

There probably aren't even linux users, they are just fools masquerading as linux users to try and get out of a ban.

READ COMMENTS HERE: http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/07/0 ... ii-servers
You'll see many references to what I've mentioned being supported, and that's about as pro-linux & open source as you can go.

PS: You can hate Diablo 3 all you want, since imo, it's a shitty, easy grind, but don't attach linux hate to that.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Cool your jets, pilot. I know, I play SC2 with WINE just fine. I'm not anti-Blizzard trolling, perhaps I should have been clearer that I know it wasn't intentionally anti-linux, but was more noting how hilarious some of the comments were.

Although I doubt that having their games work on linux is because of any special love for linux. It just happens that they make their games work on opengl also to run on mac. Running on linux just kind of happens ofter that.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm not gonna claim it's an amazing game... but I seem to be reading people saying the game gets easier the further into it you go, where as from everything I've seen, it's the opposite. The game is PAINFULLY easy for the entire first play through (before you are forced to the next difficulty level) and then it doesn't really start to get fun until it's too late to care about the story.

I'm down with hatred of the auction house just as much as the next guy at the end of the day. So I'm not really complaining either way.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”