Building a rig - Page 2

Building a rig

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Building a rig

Post by Forboding Angel »

PSU wattage has nothing to do with it. Quality of the part is what matters. Moreover, the power that you get form a wall outlet fluctuates wildly, and as a result, your computer can be fried just as a result from being plugged in (although that isn't common - but it can cause stability issues).

To alleviate this, get a battery backup with avs. Basically, at that point, your computer is powered by the battery which is dc so the current is even at all times, and the wall outlet simply charges the battery.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Forboding Angel wrote:PSU wattage has nothing to do with it. Quality of the part is what matters. Moreover, the power that you get form a wall outlet fluctuates wildly, and as a result, your computer can be fried just as a result from being plugged in (although that isn't common - but it can cause stability issues).

To alleviate this, get a battery backup with avs. Basically, at that point, your computer is powered by the battery which is dc so the current is even at all times, and the wall outlet simply charges the battery.
While this is true, battery backups are expensive for the type that can reasonably sustain a modern PC. As long as you're running through a surge protector you're reasonably covered. Never leave a desktop plugged in direct by kettle lead to a wall socket for prolonged periods of time though.

[edit] Also, agreed in full with the PSU stuff. Buy the $100 600-700ish watt PSU. Don't cheap out and get a no name brand half price PSU. I've lost a few computers to shitty inbuilt PSUs that came with a budget case pack. I'll never trust a small brand PSU again. But in the last 10 or so years every machine I've built has a higher end PSU, and I haven't lost one to PSU failure yet.

You don't need an 800 watt PSU. You just need a PSU that isn't built using cheap unreliable parts. I believe 600 Watt is enough for any modern single GPU PC.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Too late for me to change it now but I think I still made the right decision.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-6 ... 017&sr=8-1
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Jazcash wrote:Too late for me to change it now but I think I still made the right decision.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-6 ... 017&sr=8-1
Yup. That one shouldn't give you any problems :)
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Best page for PSU reviews is
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/power
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/awards

This is the only page that really checks the PSU (efficiency, max load, ...), all other pages write only stupid text about the optics and the count of cables.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

CPU: No need to get K series if not overclocking and/or not using the integrated graphics.

Memory: No need to get high performance RAM unless you want 1% performance gain. Instead get a reliable RAM.

SSD: SSD differ in price because each manufacturer uses different nand flash, controller, cache, etc. when assembling the SSD. I currently have 256GB Samsung SSD and it gets almost the twice the write speed compared to 256GB Crucial SSDs, and it was the fastest 256GB SSD out there.

Case: Get one that is quiet with no side fans. Side fan would most likely disrupt the good front to back airflow. Corsair power supply for example block out half of the fan just to maintain the good front to back airflow.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Got it all up and running smoothly :-) This SSD is seriously tickling my balls right now <3 Thanks everybody!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”