TA v4.0

TA v4.0

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

REVENGE

TA v4.0

Post by REVENGE »

4096 UNIT / WEAPON IDs????
That actually fucking work?
Jazcash

Re: TA v4.0

Post by Jazcash »

Some guy posted a reddit link in that thread with some interesting discussion, some relating to Spring!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/s ... cs_engine/

Do a Ctrl+F: "Spring" for the kewl beans.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

There are some links but unfortunately nobody posted links to friendly installers for playable games.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if a Spring game got a proper one-click installer and a short tutorial campaign.

And then reality kicks in.

Years ago I made a one-click installer for BA with custom hotkeys and widgets and everything, but everything fucking broke completely with every engine/game update it it was such a gigantic PITA to maintain that I gave up after a few updates. Imagine if these things were fixed. After leaving Spring for a year or so and coming back and trying to get everything set up again, I realized how utterly awful it is for new people, and the 3 or 4 people I was PLANNING on introducing to Spring once I got it set up, I realized none of them would want to go through this hassle (not even I did), and gave up.

I alone could easily introduce a hundred people to Spring (retention rate is another matter of course) if the upfront issues were dealt with (installation and first gameplay steps).

This is totally not the right thread for this at all but I really needed to rant.
smoth

Post by smoth »

just imagine 6 years of that and people wondering why you are grumpy all the time.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Believe me I know. I've been saying the same goddamn thing for years and most mods still have no installers and lobbies are unorganized shit.

And installer isn't that hard, guys. :(
gajop

Post by gajop »

Well, most of the stuff is GPL or similarly non-restrictive of reuse, so why not just create/modify the installer the way you think it should be done?
Tutorial missions can (and some have) been created by zk mission editor. Sure, they could be improved, and zkl does lack a bit on the introductory setting, so fix it if you want to, beats talking :)

I doubt we really need PR people, internet and a couple of social web posts does that if the product is good enough. Pretty much all my friends tried spring mods: BA & ZK since that's the only thing playable (other stuff lacks singleplayer content or multiplayer population, even though it may have quality - f.e evo).
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

gajop wrote:Well, most of the stuff is GPL or similarly non-restrictive of reuse, so why not just create/modify the installer the way you think it should be done?
Read my post, I did. AFAIK I'm the only person who's ever made an installer for Spring+BA, but updates were far far too unstable to make it possible without loads of manual and unnecessary work. It needs to be done by the people making the mods.

If BAR ever comes to fruition and nobody else is making an installer, I will give it another shot.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Hobo Joe wrote:Believe me I know. I've been saying the same goddamn thing for years and most mods still have no installers and lobbies are unorganized shit.

And installer isn't that hard, guys. :(
I had one for my ex-project. Zwzsg was nice enough to maintain it. But custom lobbies and all I was waiting on lua lobby for that/
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

It's been a while since I've installed Spring, I might do it when I get home tonight. What's the latest and greatest lobby?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Notalobby is coming along well.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

You know what would be both awesome and make a tonne of people express strong emotion (both positive and negative)? If someone figured out a way to match people for TA v4.0 games over the spring lobby server.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Good god, I can't even imagine the shitstorm that would ensue.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

SinbadEV wrote:You know what would be both awesome and make a tonne of people express strong emotion (both positive and negative)? If someone figured out a way to match people for TA v4.0 games over the spring lobby server.
I would be in support of this, although Spring as a project has taken great strides to distance itself from OTA in the past 5 years.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Hobo Joe wrote:It's been a while since I've installed Spring, I might do it when I get home tonight. What's the latest and greatest lobby?

NotaPack_v6 for Windows contains the latest portable Spring (88), the latest NotaLoby (2.2) (+ SLobby + TASClient), the latest NOTA 1.67 and many widgets and some maps (depends how big pack you choose). All content listed in changelog. Btw... no install needed. Only download-unpack-play.
For everyone that says theres needed some installer for Windows users, here is NotaPack. :mrgreen: No install, only download, unpack and play.

Direct download of NotaPack.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I downloaded NOTAlobby last night, definitely my favorite lobby that I've used so far, it's super slick. It still has a couple things I'd love to see change, though. Integrated chat windows (rather than floating) and the ability to host a game or start SP vs bots.

Kudos to the devs though because it's really nice.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Hobo Joe wrote:Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if a Spring game got a proper one-click installer and a short tutorial campaign.

And then reality kicks in.
Yes, the reality that you don't pay attention: http://www.desura.com/games/evolution-rts/play

Wish Granted.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

The reality is that I've been away for over a year. :lol:

Good to see stuff is happening!
Turpentine

Post by Turpentine »

its very good :!: :cool:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”