Castle Story - Indie "Minecraft" RTS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Video

It's supposed to be very early in development still but I noticed already they have been paying attention to little details, like the animations when the little guys climb up or jump down from single blocks. And the day-night cycles are cool, and the block physics of course.

And they did a great job of making management as smart as possible. You create general 'tasks' like building or mining and then assign the little guys to those tasks, so its easy to add more or take some off. Pathfinding also already looks pretty good.

Other nice little things too, like how terrain smoothed on the top instead of being 100% blocky like minecraft. Lots of polish already.

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of actual RTS gameplay at the moment, although I suspect this will always be geared to casual players, as a building of your base literally brick by brick will probably be too unwieldy for competitive play. Given the sandboxy nature of the game singleplayer will probably prove to be entertaining, even if there isn't much in the way of plot.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Castle Story - Indie "Minecraft" RTS

Post by Satirik »

looks better than minecraft
knorke

Post by knorke »

there goes my idea :shock:
but look very cool..reminds me of clonk for some reason.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Looks quite nice but it's not open source which is a big negative imho.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I wonder what will be the practical benefit of having castles when it comes to actual battles. When you have these islands, which are quite defensible in themselves already, the only sensible way to reach a hostile island would be by something that flies it would seem. And when there's flying stuff, just how much are those walls gonna help?

But when their whole game depends on that, probably they'll figure out something sensible.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am more interested in...
http://www.youtube.com/user/WollayFX
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

More afraid of this: BF grafix and physix ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJ-K0ZMev8
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

smoth wrote:I am more interested in...
http://www.youtube.com/user/WollayFX
Nice! Looks really cute; I'm gonna keep an eye on this also.
PicassoCT wrote:More afraid of this: BF grafix and physix ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJ-K0ZMev8
Lol, an RTS, made by an RPG developer, built on an FPS engine.

It might be good, but they will probably find more players among FPS and RPG fans than RTS fans.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I think the 3d + underground RTS idea is fairly common and it would be great to see it made. But with this we've yet to see if they will produce a solid RTS with 3d terraforming or mainly pander to the minecraft crowd. From the tone it sounds more towards minecraft.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

This game is out on steam now under "early access". They have a 12,72€ sale going on today for anyone interested in picking it up.

It's pretty addictive, but there are only two singleplayer game modes available right now: sandbox and survival.
Sandbox is just as it sounds, simcity with no enemies.
Survival has these stone golemnesque dudes who come around every 8 minutes or so to ruin what you built and kill your bricktrons. It gets harder and harder for each wave.

The game only comes with two maps, but it seems there used to be a map editor that could be used to create new maps that you can still download and play. Otherwise there's a direct multiplayer option, but no matchmaking yet.

Early access video

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”