Want some exposure for Spring.... - Page 3

Want some exposure for Spring....

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Want some exposure for Spring....

Post by smoth »

Why does everyone think I want gundam to get attention I don't like attention
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:Why does everyone think I want gundam to get attention I don't like attention
xD only you to make me laugh at this time

Yeah well, depends, i mean i was hoping for the good of Spring in general :wink:

Since spring needs atention, gundam is a part of spring so :mrgreen:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I want gundam to get attention, so smoth gets into trouble :D

Hey, at least im honest.
smoth

Post by smoth »

It isn't about trouble, I like being Hephaestus making shit off where noone cares or bothers me.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

azaremoth wrote: Posting news and doing advertising takes me (and most propably all other non-native speakers) lots of time that I rather would invest into game development. If there are willing people out there we should promote them to Spring's chief international PR managers 4tw. :wink:
Same here.. especially in multiperson project -people have to focus on fixing bugs in their code that others rarely touch - nobody probably feels he could help best by posting because there is coding to do.
Thats why dedicated non-coder non-artist would be best for that.
smoth

Post by smoth »

azaremoth wrote:Well, you simply have an impressive fan-base. You are doing the PR-stuff very well and Gundam has a "natural" fan-base as it is based on pre-existing fiction.
that is why comments like this tick me off. I can go all the way back to 2008 and see how awesome the pre-existing natural fanbase cared before I started regular news posts.

Licho, I find that excuse weak. maybe when it comes to technical parts but honestly the general game stuff is easy. Do you really feel that ALL of the coder in zk are functioning at your or my level of commitment, if that is the case, I don't see it. I don't believe it. It feels like hearing a coder say they CBA to comment their code.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

We just need to get more organized. News posts on zero-k.info are quite frequent, we just need to remember to copy-paste to indiedb as well.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Also note many of these posts of mine in the graph are not front page but private. Sometimes I hit up the mecha group(anime fans).. so zk would need to hit up like say an indiedevs/rtsfans group..

Seems like the key is to keep making some kind of post so people don't forget you. As you can see by the graph, the experimentation has resulted in slow but steady growth. That is with gundam's very niche appeal(in case you guy don't know gundam fans are NOT normally rts gamers).

I think ZK can easily overcome my visits with some minor attention.. same goes for the other projects like evo and cursed. Fan projects have gone from neutral status to hated and stigmatized. Many people have made the laughable accusation that I make this project to try and cash in on the fame of gundam... I could tell you long stories about how that isn't really possible..

point is, I have done the experimentation and kept it going long enough to produce a graph with results. Results I FEEL that can be overshadowed by a more generic appeal project like zk.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

smoth wrote:on the subject of MORE EXPOSURE...

WHY AM I THE ONLY SPRING PROJECT UP FOR INDIE OF THE YEAR ON INDIEDB!?!?

S44, EVO, ZK WTF GUIZE! ZK deserves to be on that list instead of me!
How did Gundam get on that list?

Where do you advertise and how? I haven't found many forums dedicated to rts games in general (as opposed to a specific one) and I feel a bit rude barging into a new community to push a game.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Google_Frog wrote:How did Gundam get on that list?

Where do you advertise and how?
Smoth just told you: Make regular newsposts on your game moddb/indiedb profile.
smoth

Post by smoth »

people do not read threads I am convinced.
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:I just post shit that people want to know. like really, my news posts SUCK from a pr perspective..

ZK needs a dedicated fanbo...news person with acess to the page and needs to post MORE SCHTUFFS..

From my experimentation:
things to post:

-news at least 1 time a month.
-- has pictures, talk about how you address THEIR concerns.
-- Ask questions get feedback, address any question.

-post pictures any time you have some new pretty thing.

-videos with tutorials

EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY...

why u no?
smoth wrote:seriously though zk guys, you all should be advertising more. No offense to the other projects or my own.. but you guys should be on there instead of me.
I'd quote more but like half of the thread is me virtually begging you guys to post more on indie db and going over possible ways to do it.

google, if you want to take up that mantle, I would be happy to go over what I have been able to glean from my posting experiments. It isn't very much but it might just be something you guys are overlooking. Like I told licho, if you guys got 30 players out of it, I think it would make posting a monthly post worth while.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:
people do not read threads I am convinced.
Hey. I like pink marshmellows too! Way better then the red teamcoloured ones, i read in a ARGH thread i searched :D
knorke

Post by knorke »

Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

I'm pretty sure TB is aware of Spring. It would be awesome to have randy coach TB at BA in a WTFesque vid, but I don't see it happening without initiative from randy or TB... I mean, I don't even know how well TB and randy know each other (I know TB has casted randy's SC2 matches). Normal WTF format is just plain impossible due to lack of single player content and insane learning curve imo.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Teutooni wrote:Normal WTF format is just plain impossible due to lack of single player content and insane learning curve imo.
WTF of KP skirmish? SP, simple learning curve, and easy window installer.
PRO_rANDY

Post by PRO_rANDY »

Teutooni wrote:I'm pretty sure TB is aware of Spring. It would be awesome to have randy coach TB at BA in a WTFesque vid, but I don't see it happening without initiative from randy or TB... I mean, I don't even know how well TB and randy know each other (I know TB has casted randy's SC2 matches). Normal WTF format is just plain impossible due to lack of single player content and insane learning curve imo.

Me and John (TB) are good friends, met each other at about 6-7 lans now and hes always friendly and a nice guy, I'm sure he would be willing to take a look but, and no offence intended here, I feel it would be embarrassing to introduce him. Last time I tried to play I couldn't figure out how to get started with all the lobbies and where to download the mods and stuff (dead links, unhelpful ppl, no real support)...and thats someone who has played before.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

zwzsg wrote:WTF of KP skirmish? SP, simple learning curve, and easy window installer.
Well, in the first post Otherside mentioned TA, so I assumed the intent was to play on nostalgy... I suppose there could very well be a WTF is (WTFree?) of KP.
PRO_rANDY wrote:Me and John (TB) are good friends, met each other at about 6-7 lans now and hes always friendly and a nice guy, I'm sure he would be willing to take a look but, and no offence intended here, I feel it would be embarrassing to introduce him. Last time I tried to play I couldn't figure out how to get started with all the lobbies and where to download the mods and stuff (dead links, unhelpful ppl, no real support)...and thats someone who has played before.
Fair enough. I have tried to introduce friends I've known since 5 to spring/BA and it has been awkward at times. It would take ages to setup, we'd play one game, and then after hours of setup they'd just not like the game that much. Most common reason was that the game was too confusing. I think strategy games need a lengthy SP campaign to introduce players to different units one at a time for the learning process to be enjoyable at all. :(
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

wow... this finally reached the point. The point were someone says. Hey, we need a Singleplayer to get people acustomed to the mechanics. Like every other freaking game out there has.

Now for the inevitable derailing into minor detail. Nice weather today? Not to sunny, not to rainy, a little snow, little storm, and the temperature is perfect.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I've been pretty successful introducing people to Zero-K, and no troubles with the installer or getting into games. Pretty much all I need to do is link them here: http://zero-k.info/Wiki/Download. In fact, my nooby roommate knows nothing of this website but he now plays more than I do.

The problem isn't Spring, because Gundam, KP, Evo, etc, all have their own installers as well. Just no one seems particularly interested in maintaining a BA installer, at least, not since Hobo Joe: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23980.

I'm not trying to pick on BA, that's just how it is.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”