I'm building a Penetrator

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I recently finished building an Annihilator in my base(ment) and did the first test firings with it.

I have not finished the energy cell modules so i am not mobile yet. I am only testing her on the grid.

Tomorrow i should be ready with the energy cells so i can finally take her for a proper tour around the map. 8)

Extra points for you if you can spot what model i chose for it :o If no-one can make it out from the picture you will have to wait till tomorrow for the completed unit for the punchline. :mrgreen:
Last edited by varikonniemi on 21 Nov 2011, 19:40, edited 4 times in total.
smoth

Re: I'm building a Penetrator

Post by smoth »

nintendo zapper gun != penetrator..
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Don't get yourself, or anyone else, blind.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

2.5W @ 405nm ( it's actually purple irl, but it's saturating the blue sensor in the camera ), 10^-4 transmissivity safety glasses required:
Attachments
lazor.jpg
(522.25 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Is this what you're building? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxyIkfNQUQ
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

BrainDamage wrote:2.5W @ 405nm ( it's actually purple irl, but it's saturating the blue sensor in the camera ), 10^-4 transmissivity safety glasses required:
*snip*
What would happen if you put your finger in it?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Das Bruce wrote:
BrainDamage wrote:2.5W @ 405nm ( it's actually purple irl, but it's saturating the blue sensor in the camera ), 10^-4 transmissivity safety glasses required:
*snip*
What would happen if you put your finger in it?
it'll feel very hot, and eventually get a burn
mah lazor burns trough a 2cm plywood plate in ~10 mins
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Nice, smoth immediately spotted the model correctly :) I will post a decent picture when it is finished, personally i think the retro&nostalgia filled nintendo zapper combines perfectly with the latest and greatest in solid state laser technology to form a cool mobile particle accelerator.

Braindamage i assume you are running the same casio diode as i am? You have quite a beefy overcharge going on there, aren't they rated at 1W, run at 1.5W stock? Also, how did you measure the output?

Sadly the energy cells did not arrive today in the mail so my penetrator project is on hold..
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

varikonniemi wrote: Braindamage i assume you are running the same casio diode as i am? You have quite a beefy overcharge going on there, aren't they rated at 1W, run at 1.5W stock? Also, how did you measure the output?
no, it's a sharp laser projector diode, 3W max output power, 15W electrical, it's sanwithched in 2 1K/W heatsinks using a copper heat spreader to avoid shorening the lifespan of the diode itself ( if you don't have proper heatsinking, your diode life will be very short )

to measure the power i simply measured the temp rise in short time in black dye of known heat capacity, the short time lets me ignore thermal resistance
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Interesting, i thought the casio diode was the only one in mainstream use currently.

Could you provide further information about it? My attitude has always been to upgrade when there is a mainstream part twice as powerful available :wink:
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

The energy cell arrived in mail today, and after minor hull modifications i managed to make it fit.

The diode is inside an aixiz module with a glass lens. I can keep it on for some 30 seconds before it starts to get too hot to keep in hand = plenty safe for the diode still.

'penetrator' zapper in action:
http://youtu.be/K6takXRSFAs
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

What is the sound?
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Das Bruce wrote:What is the sound?
Have you never played duckhunt? ;)

It is the zapper's trigger.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I thought the click sound was but I meant the thub sound.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Well that is my professional camera acting up after hearing the loud click :oops:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”