Skyrim - Page 3

Skyrim

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

MileyCyrus

Re: Skyrim

Post by MileyCyrus »

A very nice game but the same issues that have plagues their games since Morrowind persist.
( I play on master difficulty)

#1 Horrible animations....Stuff just moves in a horrible stuttering way from humanoids to animals.
Characters glide, animals abruptly make 90 degree turns etc.

#2 melee combat....It does not feel rewarding.
it's very pg 13 and you don't "feel" the combat.
You are just swinging the weapon at air and enemies lose hp...
There is insufficient interaction between the weapons and characters.
You dont clash your weapon at their armor and recoil you dont stumble or fumble the battles just dont feel "crispy" and its very hard to tell exactly where you can reach with your melee weapons.
This is an issue with first person melee in general but a 5 year in development game could have found a nice way of giving more indication about weapon reach.

#3 world leveling.
This is not as bad as in oblivion but its still so bad...
I understand the reasoning but There must be a better way.
Game needs more varied difficulty levels across the map...
I want to go into a place and get once shot and know that this is an area that is just unpassable for me and i need ot get stronger and level up, likewise i want to feel im king of the castle once i return to a beginner area after leveling up...

#4 weapon enchantments are boring....90% of stuff are just x type of bonus damage....zzz...

#5 dragons are too easy...

#6 another thing that has plagued the frenchise since the beining, no high level content.
You finish of a guild or faction quests become the top ranked guy or gal and there is nothing more to do, instead of being rewarded with more control and more options you are punished with emptiness and you actually feel like you are retiring from the guild/faction as oppose to just becoming its leader.

I read that they dont plan on releasing expansions, i hope its not true but if it is than I will be very disappointed.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

MileyCyrus wrote:A very nice game but the same issues that have plagues their games since Morrowind persist.
( I play on master difficulty)

#1 Horrible animations....Stuff just moves in a horrible stuttering way from humanoids to animals.
Characters glide, animals abruptly make 90 degree turns etc.

#2 melee combat....It does not feel rewarding.
it's very pg 13 and you don't "feel" the combat.
You are just swinging the weapon at air and enemies lose hp...
There is insufficient interaction between the weapons and characters.
You dont clash your weapon at their armor and recoil you dont stumble or fumble the battles just dont feel "crispy" and its very hard to tell exactly where you can reach with your melee weapons.
This is an issue with first person melee in general but a 5 year in development game could have found a nice way of giving more indication about weapon reach.

#3 world leveling.
This is not as bad as in oblivion but its still so bad...
I understand the reasoning but There must be a better way.
Game needs more varied difficulty levels across the map...
I want to go into a place and get once shot and know that this is an area that is just unpassable for me and i need ot get stronger and level up, likewise i want to feel im king of the castle once i return to a beginner area after leveling up...

#4 weapon enchantments are boring....90% of stuff are just x type of bonus damage....zzz...

#5 dragons are too easy...

#6 another thing that has plagued the frenchise since the beining, no high level content.
You finish of a guild or faction quests become the top ranked guy or gal and there is nothing more to do, instead of being rewarded with more control and more options you are punished with emptiness and you actually feel like you are retiring from the guild/faction as oppose to just becoming its leader.

I read that they dont plan on releasing expansions, i hope its not true but if it is than I will be very disappointed.
On 1. Its the price you pay for doing it with Algos, because you have a buildset, and facegenerator to populate the world. It shows but its still god for that.

On2. Lies. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic disaproves of your Disinformation. First Person swoardfights are possible and can feel good.

On3. Diable 2 leveled the world and nobody complained. The problem is that monsters who are suppossed to be weak suddenly put up fierce resistance which is just plain bull-squid. It would be far more rewarding, if those creatures remained small, but something persuing you and hunting you would throw ever stronger beasts into the chase. At the beginning they hunt you with dogs and archers, but at the end they hire trolls on polar-bears, so all you have left is running like dr.kimble. From time to time you should get the feeling you can turn the tide, but the longer you stand, the more reinforcments arrive with the chase party - and you got to move on.

On4. Thats with every game where you can go high, somewhere there is a border, so you cant crumble the main Story Arc by simply beeing to powerfull. The chief of the assasins guild orders every imperial in the north to be murdered? Done. Also, many players never ever get that far, so very few gamedesignerhours and workhours are poured into that part. Still its dissapointThing.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i hate that NPCs don't level (i.e. Lydia is the same level as you when you first meet her) because at the point i'm at she's next to useless compared even to my summoned monsters... one hit and she's staggered for ages

the only thing she's good for is standing around and looking pretty so i married her

melee combat is a lot more awesome with a shield, otherwise i find it a bit bland too

bethesda actually said they would like to see mods available for console as well as pc, so let's see how that goes
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCFuP3rM2w more.
Or were you more concerned with the lyrics than the music?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

zwzsg wrote:I like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCFuP3rM2w more.
Or were you more concerned with the lyrics than the music?
I saw this one too, it's pretty awesome ^^
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I have high hopes for the modding potential, cause this shit is epic. It would be nice to have some kind of fullscale invasion by the giants. :D
scifi

Post by scifi »

PaulWilliam80 wrote:Hey thanks for this one! Really helpful :)
Another spambot unbelievable..................... report..

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on topic

Skyrim is a good game, MyleyCyrus, but to have all that the game would be like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iezXcUD9n9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DajSEvhB ... re=related
Kingdom under fire II
A semi hack and slash RPG hybrid, witch is very hard to acomplish, and has been in years of development.

These guys have been tryng to add very cool and unique death animations , and kill by skill combos, not to mention cuting edge grafics.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

how2 elder scrolls
1) wait x months
2) download the mods that fix all of these complaints

case in point, see morrowind 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NX-MvnY ... re=related
Last edited by 1v0ry_k1ng on 29 Nov 2011, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I'm a mage, currently trolling around in full dragonscale heavily improved and enchanted so my destruction magic costs 0 magicka.

It's awesome.
smoth

Post by smoth »

my problem with elderscrolls is that you are:

In the old titles that was ok but by morrowind that should have been on the decline, coop or at least npcs that travel and do things between towns if only trade and buy/sell goods.

We are still stuck in a world where everyone has goldfish memory or at best you "lose faction" with people ala everquest... and that only for a while.

I don't like this, if I am going to play by myself I want to be able to have a bit more interaction beyond, kill guy who owns mansion, live in his house without people raging about me killing their neighbor who's family has probably lived there for generations.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Smoth just didnt realize his actor and stealthskills are so high, he goes unnoticed by the neighborehood. And by using them every day, he gets even better at getting away. Game is suuuu Real!
MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

80% of that article is ranting about the combat in the Elder Scrolls games which everybody knows isn't their strong point and isn't meant to be their strong point. Unfortunately, as he stated, a lot of the gameplay is combat based so you end up with a lot of repetitive boringness. Especially when most the enemies are the draugr.

But in essence, Elder Scrolls games are RPGs. Role Playing Games where the focus is on storylines, character development and decision making. The fact the player can actually take part in the combat itself and their playing has an effect on the output is just a bonus.

So yes, the combat system is terrible, but that's not the reason anybody plays Elder Scrolls in the first place.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

yeah, but its the proble you get with it. It could have been so much better. Take sneaking. You level up i sneaking by using it. Fine with me.

But then add depth. Add that you have a chance of producing sound mid-sneaking if your inventory is to full with soundy items. Add that some creatures can break your stealth (like dogs& dears). Or that people can find the footprints you leave and follow you.
And add exp for "I could have killed you." or playing little tricks on people "sneaking into the house, hiding a picture" or "fill water into the beerbarrel".. what really pisses me off with games like skyrim is the potential that is there, and that gets wasted.

And it wouldnt have been to much to license the combatsystem from dark-mesiah.

SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Ok so, which one: witcher 2 or skyrim, if I only have money for one?

Since witcher 1 was better than oblivion, you have to convince me twice if you suggest skyrim...
MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

witcher:
Linear combat focused game with rpg elementz.
Skyrim:
Open world exploration/Lore game with rpg elementz.

In witcher games you enjoy the combat and will be baby set by the game and told where to go in skyrim you can explore and meet tons of npc with different stories while the combat is like a hassle that you need ot go through to get that artifact..

Both have pretty shitty rpg systems with the Skyrim one being more diverse but not necessarily better.

What i disliked in the The witcher is the linearity and the Story itself that is based on yet another shitty fantasy book.
Also the fact your char is pretty limited in how diverse it can become and you cant actually create your own.

What i disliked about Skyrim is the shitty combat, and a lot of the world mechanics that prevent you from ultimately enjoying the game like creatures and areas that level with you, never allowing you to feel satisfied and bad-ass.

If you want a diverse open world exploration game with a lttle bit of everything but not too muh of anything specific play Skyrim.
If you want a highly focused action game with a linear world, play the witcher.

ATM i can also recommend Oblivion with the Super pack.
With this gigantic addon that changes the game upside down Oblivion actually becomes a decent game that can easily fight for your attention even with these newer games.
http://superpackden.mastertopforum.net/

Once the morrowind gameplay overhaul is complete it might also be a good contender since its underlying world and areas are much more interesting IMO than the Oblivion ones.
If this gameplay overhaul mod will indeed make the combat and gameplay much more complex and up to date I will definitely download it and give it a go since IMO out of all 4 elder scrolls titles, morrowind was the best.

The skyrim world is also very interesting and diverse, not as much as the morrowind one but much more than oblivion, its issue is that it still has the same issues with gameplay that Oblivion had.
Panda

Post by Panda »

MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

Torchlight 2 <3
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Imagine a enemy, that could level you down

Watergolem of Styx i choose you
Last edited by PicassoCT on 01 Dec 2011, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”