Skyrim - Page 2

Skyrim

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Skyrim

Post by KaiserJ »

thane of whiterun, bitches!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Coresair wrote:....Just type fov 90.
Would've done but I read somewhere that using any console commands at all disables Steam achievements. Can't have that now can I, how else would I lengthen my e-peen?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

oh yet another consolized game, who would've thought... back when the super nintendo still was a console and not a PC in hiding the PC and console market was well split up and we could enjoy our games properly.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I give these games 6 months before picking them up, that way modders have fixed everything and all the fail is patched.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I give these games 6 months before picking them up, that way modders have fixed everything and all the fail is patched.
Not to mention the price is 1/4 - 1/2 of the price at release and hardware has caught up with the maximum the game can run. I buy games about 1 - 2 years after release and typically pay less than $20. I just bought Age of Empires III for $5.

The only downside is with multiplayer games since interest tends to drop off pretty quickly and you may find yourself with a nice game and nobody to play against. Fortunately that isn't the case with Skyrim so I guess I'll let you guys know what I think of it some time next year.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

the only bug i found so far was a CTD in a certain cave which was avoidable by playing in windowed mode
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

I have not encountered a bug yet, and the UI is fine. Hotkeys work as usual, no clue why people are saying they don't.

You don't even need that great of hardware to run this game, it is slightly more hardware demanding then oblivion (some reviewers notice only 10-20fps difference between the games at similar settings). There is 0 reason not to buy this game now if you enjoy the genre.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

SpliFF wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I give these games 6 months before picking them up, that way modders have fixed everything and all the fail is patched.
Not to mention the price is 1/4 - 1/2 of the price at release and hardware has caught up with the maximum the game can run. I buy games about 1 - 2 years after release and typically pay less than $20. I just bought Age of Empires III for $5.

The only downside is with multiplayer games since interest tends to drop off pretty quickly and you may find yourself with a nice game and nobody to play against. Fortunately that isn't the case with Skyrim so I guess I'll let you guys know what I think of it some time next year.
http://xkcd.com/606/
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I dont consider that a such problem because my gaming life is completely seperate from my not gaming life, sort of like narnia. I dont start conversations about half life 2
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

I don't consider it a problem either, any surprises in any game or movie have been thoroughly ruined by press releases, blogs, forums and reviews long before release. How long do you think it'll take for this thread to turn into a list of spoilers?

BTW, don't you find it annoying how easy it is to win the game because the orc in the castle basement can be made to give up the the key to the magic gate just by using a simple sleep potion from the wizard?
smoth

Post by smoth »

To each their own.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Just played the tutorial dungeon and walked to a town. Definitely not going to buy/keep playing until they've released a couple of patches.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I gave it another try and I still have a LOT of complaints about this game, but the flamethrower hands are the fucking bees knees.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

lol thanks spliff, now i don't have to play it anymore, thanks to metavictory

bruce why's that? crashes?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Skyrimjob?

Man i want to play this game, but i dont have the time..
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

KaiserJ wrote:bruce why's that? crashes?
No I didn't have any problems with stability, tt's just not very good. Not in the sense that they have made a genuinely crap game but they just haven't taken the time to properly polish it. I've read a few user reviews and they've covered the obvious things: general consolitis, chickens reporting you for crimes, etc, but here's a few things I haven't seen mentioned which I think are important.
  • The map is covered in clouds. It's not so much a map as a live satalite feed of skyrim which feels wrong and makes it very awkward to read the map.

The animal behaviour is terrible. Run, stop, turn, run... it's very jarring to see a real looking model behave in such an unreal manner. I started hunting a moose and it ended up trying to cross a river to escape but instead of heading straight for the other side it started swimming up river in bursts of speed that could match a jet ski.

The combat AI is bad. In the first combat scene after you enter the keep(?) to escape the dragon you and an ally face off against two enemies. When I played it I blocked they took turns slashing at me while they completely ignored my friend who was hacking at their backs.

The combat itself is dull. Same old Oblivion hack, slash, and block mechanics which when compared to The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks just don't cut it. DM has its flaws but it did combat very well, five years ago.

When the quality of one aspect is increased, in this case the graphics, flaws in other aspects become more obvious. A man with a neck composed primarily of arrow heads shouldn't still be fighting.
There's probably more but those are the issues that come to mind.
smoth

Post by smoth »

DM was an amazing game.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

smoth wrote:DM was an amazing game.
That first time you run a dude through and boot him off your sword? Oh man...
smoth

Post by smoth »

mostly I liked the run and slash action. The combat felt very real for lack of a better term. Reminds me of sparing on campus. I used to like that sort of thing before I had the sense to fear lawsuits.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

My biggest issue with Oblivion was the arrow play. Even low-level creatures wouldn't slow down a bit when you put an arrow right through their heads and they'd take about 4-5 arrows to kill. The result was gameplay that involved constantly running around backwards firing arrows at charging opponents. I would have found the gameplay far more rewarding if headshots were basically instakill and arrows slowed your enemies, or if you automatically drew a sword when opponents get close (I found switching weapons in a tight situation was difficult with the default setup). I think there was a "marksman" mod that did some of those things but I never tried it.

Does Skyrim have the same arrow mechanics?

Also anyone played Gothic? It was an impressive contender in this genre. Gothic III was amazingly buggy but there is a huge community patch effort which has produced a 900 MB patchset! That's the great thing about JoWood they really supported their community (ie, like giving Soldner to the community for free).

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”