Bulldozer

Bulldozer

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

REVENGE

Bulldozer

Post by REVENGE »

Sucks.

AMD on track to building 8 core Pentium 4s.
MidKnight

Re: Bulldozer

Post by MidKnight »

AMD/ATi's approach always seems to be to throw more power at the problem and hope it'll fix itself, but that hasn't worked since 2005.

Here's to hoping they get smart.
aegis

Post by aegis »

one of those sites said a bulldozer octo could easily hit 4.6GHz on air, a decent improvement over the phenom quad (especially considering turbo core)
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

'could hit' is fine for people looking to overclock, but what percentage of users want that over solid stock performance?
aegis

Post by aegis »

imo you might see significant improvements on heavily-targeted apps versus the phenom X4 but most of the current benchmarks have been running on quads and hexcore versions of said quads.

I know with eight cores you lose the benefit of unganged memory on a quad (via one stick per core), but these tests are running with only two sticks anywho

from that review, the biggest issue is with single-threaded operations. with multithread, it'd float around the i5 2600k performance-wise.

sadly, it's probably a better idea to buy intel or a phenom II quad considering the bulldozer price point.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Pathetic. Worse core performance than phenom II which was already YEARS behind intel. So what if there are 8 cores now? most people will never use 8 threads (even then, the performance increase is minimal compared to running HT on an i7 2600(k)). Half of those who DO use that many threads are better off/can afford the superior intel solutions.

Really, its just bad. I cannot even see it having a niche like phenom II did. Phenom II was atleast cheap and ran cool/ low power to make some very nice low-budget builds.

This BD is rubbish......Glad I decided to get sandybridge and not wait.

Edit: Its overclocking is ok I guess, but clock for clock still slower than sandy bridge which can overclock to 4.6-4.8ghz on average and use MUCH less power.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Debatable architecture.

pro
* float32 to float16 hw-op
* modules instead of cores (really share silicon between cores)
* FMAD op
* AVX (better done than their SSE impl.?)

contra
* just 1 FPU per core/module (but 2 ALUs! WTF!?)
* FPU has 2x128bit but you can only send 1 cmd per cycle, so either AVX:1x256bit SSE:1x128bit or FPU:1x80bit
-> idle silicon in FPU mode ... wasted resources ...

unknown
* 8MB L2 + 8MB L3 cache ???????
* their Turbo Core func needs optimizations in the OS thread scheduler

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”