Non-Spring Random WIP - Page 7

Non-Spring Random WIP

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: Non-Spring Random WIP

Post by rattle »

the rock formation on the right looks like a small dinosaur giving fellatio to a caveman. despite that little flaw it is strongly reminicent of arrakis, so yeah liking it
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

the level design: you thought it was easy, until you realised, that your colleagues see penises everywhere. In the sky, in the square, all over the place, and in your face!

You wont be able to create something that doesnt remind needy-nerdys of coitus . Thats why.. embrace the challenge, accept your faith, and add the unavoidable naked woman allready ;)
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

I don't know why I love making screenshots so much.

Anyway, new fog/dust, improved lighting (yet again), leaves, and some manmade stuff.

(Right click for bigger images etc)

Oh also, if anyone is interested in helping out with all of this (art, coding, or website creation) feel free to talk to me via PM. We need all the help we can get at this point.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

what is this for anyway? looks like it'd fit in tribes
scifi

Post by scifi »

knorke wrote:In the beginning Bob created earth.
Now the earth was unformed and void, and a red glare was upon the face of the deep.
And Bob said "let there be rocks", and behold, there were rocks.
And he saw that it was good, so he made a screenshot.
lol xD

nice work BoB, i recall you talking about some kind of RTS, but the amount of detail sugests otherwise am i wrong ?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Yeah things got shifted around and we ended up using our assets for a story driven survival/horror game. The rts idea was very quickly proving to be a really unfeasible idea. We opted for something less coding intensive and more art focused.

Well, I say survival/horror, but that's the second half of the game. The idea is the first half is a big open world that the player has to traverse while learning about the world and the situation, which will then help him/her in the second half, which is entirely underground and incorporates the horror element. Sort of a Dear Esther / Amnesia: The Dark Descent hybrid.

We've got a long way to go.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Should I just make a thread? I feel like I'm hijacking this one.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I dunno -- either way, though, your stuff is incredibly sexy. The UE3 renderer doesn't hurt at all, either. :wink:

The landscape reminds me of the fractal planet in the last scene of Farbrausch's Magellan demo.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Some say he was once king of Germany and has a poor grasp of human proportions, all we know is, he's called The KaiserJ.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Hills should look a lot more natural now.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, I say survival/horror, but that's the second half of the game. The idea is the first half is a big open world that the player has to traverse while learning about the world and the situation, which will then help him/her in the second half, which is entirely underground and incorporates the horror element. Sort of a Dear Esther / Amnesia: The Dark Descent hybrid.
As beautiful as your work is... that's kinda conceptually boring. If you want to do a fun open-world leading into a horror, it seems terribly wasteful to avoid the obvious and have the horror include the darkening/twisting/destruction of the first-half content. Make the player fall in love with your game world and then pervert it before their eyes.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

This is not to say nothing actually happens to the player in the first bit. The player still has to avoid various enemies throughout the first half, you just don't get told why right away.

I'm not really sure how to describe the difference in horror elements. In the second half there is a lot of "omg run down this hall and hope he doesn't catch me" esque situations (amnesia/penumbra), and in the first half it's much less dangerous but much more ominous. The enemies of the first half are basically giant scanners constantly searching the open area. If you can recall the scene from the Return of the King where Frodo and his lover are traversing the Mordor area avoiding the eye of Sauron, then that's basically closest thing to it. You'll have to find a way to get through the whole map without the big "scanner" enemies finding you.

The amnesia devs said it nicely with the whole "for the first half of our game the player will wonder what is going on, and for the second half they will wish they never knew." (Not sure what the exact quote was but you get the gist.) The first half is less dangerous to free up room for exploration. That's the theory anyway.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hey now, i have a good grasp of proportions, but it doesn't mean i can't reject them completely

he needs a giant head so it can be viciously whiplashed around or smashed into pulp like a cantaloupe off the overpass; it's a game element.

edit: looks great OFC bob
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Something I've been working on for fun (this is 5 days of work).

So far all the "pieces" are in place... player_actor can be controlled with the keyboard, enemy actors can move randomly or chase the player character or go to a home space... when enemy actors are touched you loose a life unless you have power in which case they turn grey and head home...

basic stuff like the board resetting when the player dies or beats a maze or the life counter not going negative are missing but, generally speaking, at this point it "works" and just needs massive amounts of "polish".
Attachments
CAPCC_Hunting.png
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
CAPCC_Hunted.png
(13.6 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

neat. what is this made in?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

knorke wrote:neat. what is this made in?
Google Chrome HTML5 JavaScript
(Only mention Google Chrome because only it executes Javascript fast enough and I only used Chrome's implementation of Event binding so the controls don't work in Firefox... and it doesn't work at all in IE at all because Microsoft can't tell the different between a draw command and a security threat)

Also, while we're at it, here's the latest screenshot...
Attachments
CAPCC_CherryBlossoms.png
CAPCC_CherryBlossoms.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

neat, well done sinbad
hamsate

Post by hamsate »

SinbadEV wrote:Something I've been working on for fun (this is 5 days of work).

It's probably intentional, but I laughed at how you put the Chinese character for "me" as the "Pac-Man". :lol:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

hamsate wrote:It's probably intentional, but I laughed at how you put the Chinese character for "me" as the "Pac-Man". :lol:
Totally intentional and I am super happy that it was appreciated by someone!

Incidentally I chose it because it's a Japanese Character for "Me" (many Chinese characters are also Japanese kanji characters). I Tried to find single characters that independently meant something close to the thing being portrayed... using Google Translate cause I know like 8 words in Japanese.

First Bonus Item - 桜 - "Cherry Blossoms"
Enemy Actors - 魂 - "Soul" (soul, spirit, ghost, anima, being, shadow)
Player Actor - 我 - "I" (me, self, oneself, I, my)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”