The moral matrix - Page 2

The moral matrix

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: The moral matrix

Post by FLOZi »

Well that I can agree with, but it seemed more like you were contending licho's viewpoint rather than corroborating it. :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Cool, well I guess that is settled. i was confused there for a second.

anyway so yin/yang, tradition/experimentation...

all old concepts. Yan, what is new about this, share with us some of your revelations on this. I can understand some people may have more to learn but what did you learn from it? since we are all sharing thoughts here :).
Gota

Post by Gota »

I have learned that when we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Happiness|<--------------------------------->|Fear

The lifeline is divided into fear and hapiness, please pin this moral matrix thread to the lifeline. If you dont pin the moralmatrix down, you dont get creditpoints for finnishing this class.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

second page and it hasnt phoenixed yet?

Moral is a pudding word, meaning, you can attach it to anything, and everybody will charge it with his personal worldview, and will nodd in agreement, or burst into argument.

I for once, find the shaving of hair highly inmoral, as it is a attempt to hide your decendance from the chimp, and therefore is the attempt to create the illusion of a supreme beeing, spawned into this world without any foolish heritage.

Also the wearing of clothing - it definatly encourages immoral thinking.

And eating food. Its not so much the food, but the outcome, which is highly a-oral. Cant somebody do something about this?

/ ;)

Actually, if you look at it closely, its a lot of diffrent groups, trying to pressure there needs into a "moral" worldview, and force this need down the throat of others for profit.

Woman fearing to be left behind with child? Divorcing is immoral.
Not beeing a usefull slave to govering psychopaths due to substance abuse? Substance is immoral.
Dont have a big chance in a real competition, when change is on the starting line? Bash those liberals and lefties for there evil ideas, stick to nexbest Brigant-in-Comand who promise tarditional values.

;)
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

very good speech, it cites my fav psych-themed book (The Blank Slate), my fav recent study on cooperation (the commons dilemma one) and the liberal mind/conservative mind study that i felt was very interesting.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Gota wrote:I have learned that when we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves.
One cannot turn too much inward, it can lead to mental decomposition. We need external people to validate and confirm the world around us. Otherwise we are entirely going by our perception of the world. It is easy to be derailed into bizarre thoughts and delusions
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

This equates to: you can only arrive at THE reality by learning it from/with other humans. but where would they know it from?
I am pretty sure you can not give a qualitative reason why a reality born out of solicity would be worse then a cooperative one. the cooperative one is better for cooperation of course, but that is the whole point.. if you are always alone, why would you need a reality that works well for cooperation with others?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

It could be argued that reality is a social construct and so you can only get to it via social impulses.

-> THE reality is something that is agreed upon, your personal "reality" can be anything but social interaction keeps you closer to the agreed-upon reality.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Lolz i totally just googled "Confucius quotes" after smoth asked me what i learned and posted one ^^.
smoth

Post by smoth »

hoijui wrote:This equates to: you can only arrive at THE reality by learning it from/with other humans. but where would they know it from?
I am pretty sure you can not give a qualitative reason why a reality born out of solicity would be worse then a cooperative one. the cooperative one is better for cooperation of course, but that is the whole point.. if you are always alone, why would you need a reality that works well for cooperation with others?
yes, you don't like groupthink. I get it.

Hoi, it is proven that isolation gives rise to heightened paranoia. (inbefore citation needed). I have said it before, if you want to really get away from the world then drop off the face of society. yes society brings many evils it also brings many goods. You can choose to accept it's benefits or reject them.

A human being in isolation WILL mentally degrade, this is observed fact. In fact an infant may die from a mere lack of physical contact beyond feeding/cleaning.
BaNa wrote:It could be argued that reality is a social construct and so you can only get to it via social impulses.
or a mental one because the brain doesn't really see it interprets. At least that is what I was reading about a few weeks ago. we are entirely brains in glass jars being fed data by ourselves :\.
BaNa wrote:-> THE reality is something that is agreed upon, your personal "reality" can be anything but social interaction keeps you closer to the agreed-upon reality.
Know any psychitzophrenics? I have, it sucks very much.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Smoth, i have one last question. Boy or girl?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Boy
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I guessed right? It was all this, my home is my castle, familyfortress i chose you attitude...
Panda

Post by Panda »

smoth wrote:
BaNa wrote:-> THE reality is something that is agreed upon, your personal "reality" can be anything but social interaction keeps you closer to the agreed-upon reality.
Know any psychitzophrenics? I have, it sucks very much.
I've met people schizophrenia. It is very sad to see them so ill.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I had a old lady in a retirement home who had it. Could be nice like noone else, and the next door, when you brought the food, she jumped at you like you were the devil himself. Really heavy moodswings, and she got medication (some permanent drug, you get implanted a stash)...

So we all here know that what is depicted in movies as shizophrenia is not the reality - what was the original aim of the discussion again?
Panda

Post by Panda »

PicassoCT wrote:So we all here know that what is depicted in movies as shizophrenia is not the reality - what was the original aim of the discussion again?
True that.

Jonathan Haidt's poorly defined traits of moral reasoning. I think this video might be a gimmick.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

so the rules of THE reality prove that being away from THE reality too much, makes you ill (by THE realities standards) ... no additional info given int his new post of yours, smoth.
to be more practical:
compare THE reality in North Korea with the one in the US.
which one is THE THE reality?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am talking about the difference between talking to yourself and TALKING to yourself. Not bullshit nationalism revisionist history.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what else are you not talking about ('s really my main interest).

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”