London Riots

London Riots

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Plato
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 21:02

London Riots

Post by Plato »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP-CC0gs ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-td3C55Yc

Di you see the shields the police officers have? the round ones..

I know the reason for the riots was a guy that got killed by a police officer for whatever reason but why are they burning stores and stuff...doesnt make sense.
User avatar
hoijui
Former Engine Dev
Posts: 4344
Joined: 22 Sep 2007, 09:51

Re: London Riots

Post by hoijui »

yeah, they should kill policemen instead, right? RIGHT?!?!
think about it, think, think about it.

by them rioting, the bad things done by the police there is now known "by the whole world". tell me what else they could have done to achieve that. for getting this much attention, being numbered a few hundred maybe. for peaceful demonstration to be recognized by international media, you need MUCH more people, and no matter how many you have, the attention has a much lower quality.

you could say, it would be good if they would burn only BMWs and Mercedes Benzes, McDonnalds and rich guys jewelery stores, to make a valid point. but that is wrong too.
they want the attention of the general public. they want them to feel that it affects them too.
User avatar
Wombat
Posts: 3379
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 15:53

Re: London Riots

Post by Wombat »

this is one of the biggest bs i have ever seen. huge riots coz some moron got killed in a gunfight ? who told him to shoot then...

good reason to burn down your own city. i hope police will start using some rubber balls and hurt them badly, it would be very amusing, somewhat.

reminds me canada riots lol - stupid reason, stupid police that does nothing.

jaz, why u not ownin them !
User avatar
Sucky_Lord
Posts: 531
Joined: 22 Aug 2008, 16:29

Re: London Riots

Post by Sucky_Lord »

Its hilarious watching the videos of it, clips where reporters are talking about the looting of shops and you see some guy running across the background with a carpet from DFS. Of all the things to loot..

It was on sale aswell.
Plato
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 21:02

Re: London Riots

Post by Plato »

hoijui wrote:yeah, they should kill policemen instead, right? RIGHT?!?!
think about it, think, think about it.

by them rioting, the bad things done by the police there is now known "by the whole world". tell me what else they could have done to achieve that. for getting this much attention, being numbered a few hundred maybe. for peaceful demonstration to be recognized by international media, you need MUCH more people, and no matter how many you have, the attention has a much lower quality.

you could say, it would be good if they would burn only BMWs and Mercedes Benzes, McDonnalds and rich guys jewelery stores, to make a valid point. but that is wrong too.
they want the attention of the general public. they want them to feel that it affects them too.
So you are saying they are pretty well organized than?
Delivering their message in such a complex way and backed up by logical reasoning steaming from the realities of international media?
I wonder if what you are saying is what the were thinking when they started loosing electronics's stores...
User avatar
hoijui
Former Engine Dev
Posts: 4344
Joined: 22 Sep 2007, 09:51

Re: London Riots

Post by hoijui »

everyone doing something that to you, seems to be pointless violence, is stupid. if then you hear some rational reasoning for it, it is not possible that they used that, cause they are too stupid for it, as even you did not get to this reasoning by yourself.
-> your arrogance fails your logic
BaNa
Posts: 1562
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 21:05

Re: London Riots

Post by BaNa »

I would enjoy posting in this interesting topic about something happening in the world, but I will refrain from doing so because of A CERTAIN MOD.
User avatar
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer
Posts: 6238
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 01:14

Re: London Riots

Post by FLOZi »

A wild politics thread appears.

Copy paste argument from elsewhere!
floz wrote:
abs wrote:
But the line between the economic crisis and this is a very tenuous one.
I fundamentally disagree. Not only have people looted luxury goods that they couldn't legitimately afford, but Tottenham Aldi and Lewisham Morrisons have been ransacked. I don't think there are too many plasma TV's in Aldi, perhaps it has something to do with rising food costs?
The policies of the current coalition government as a response to the economic crisis haven't even had full time to take effect yet, and I guarantee the vast majority of those rioting won't even read the news on a daily basis to keep track of it. The lives of these people right now aren't that different to their lives four years ago, and the very real possibility that their lives in two - three years time could be significantly different once the cuts have time to take effect is a moot one since generally those with the sorts of minds that would do this won't be politically aware enough anyway.
Certainly, things are only going to get worse. But the 'past four years' (and decades of heavy handed policing) are hardly a utopian starting point, the economic boom years saw no rise in their living standards.

Just because the vast majority are not regular Guardian readers doesn't mean that they are unaware that their unemployment and housing benefits have been and will be further cut, that their EMA has gone, that unemployment is rising (especially in the youth bracket), that hospitals are threatened with closure, libraries, youth clubs, connexions services, job centres are closing.

I think it rather naive to write off their political conciousness of upcoming events entirely, even if they have no understanding of the wrangling at Westminster or in the respectable press - they know what the future looks like for them, and the 'past four years' have been bad enough already. No doubt many of their parents will remember the last Tory government and the tumultuous events and social deprivation of that decade, such bitterness has a habit of being passed through generations.
The catalyst for the events - the shooting of a black man by police (which is still to be fully investigated) is something that could have happened in any age thus far.
Certainly. But it is not just the shooting but the lack of forthrightness the police have shown. There's a pretty long history of the police, especially the met, being heavy handed, shooting innocent people, and covering up their own inadequate investigations. As you have pointed out; the response has never been this, so how else do you explain the ferociousness?
Plato
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 21:02

Re: London Riots

Post by Plato »

hoijui wrote:everyone doing something that to you, seems to be pointless violence, is stupid. if then you hear some rational reasoning for it, it is not possible that they used that, cause they are too stupid for it, as even you did not get to this reasoning by yourself.
-> your arrogance fails your logic
Well, none of them have said anything to the media to establish that what you are saying about their motivation for rioting is correct...
For such an organized group, as you say, it would make little sense to not explain themselves to the media who's attention they are supposedly craving, to deliver their complex and important massage...

also, looking at clips of people going into stores and rubbing them, it not seem like they are trying to make a statement as much as just, well, plain thieving.
People running around with tv sets, carts full of stolen stuff...
It really does not seem they are trying to make a statement, giggle...
Plato
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 21:02

Re: London Riots

Post by Plato »

Isn't the British police Pretty reasonable as far as police forces go?
Does not carry guns, does not use water hoses and other anti-riot stuff...
User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: London Riots

Post by knorke »

yoyo politics.
please keep it civil and be careful with choice of words.
User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: London Riots

Post by Gota »

You know how they blame GTA for inducing violence in youths?
Well I blame this for the London looting:
http://i.imgur.com/Jz0vP.jpg
knorke: please find some smaller picture kkthxbye
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: London Riots

Post by AF »

Some clarifications:

It wasnt the shooting that started this, but rather what happened afterwards.

Normally here nobody is told person A has died until the family of person A has been told and confirmed that A is dead.

In this case, the family were not told, and the media were told first. In order to find out what had happened and if the guy was dead, they sent only women and children to the police station. After waiting hours they gave up and the men, angry with the racist response and the general state of unfair unemployment and deprivation, began rioting.

Since then people have joined in on the off chance they'll get a new TV. This is the main reason behind attempts to riot or at least copycats elsewhere. Rioters very likely to be looters pure and simple, though when the looters are gone, there are those who just want to cause violence and disrupt because they can get away with it.

As someone who lives ~15 minutes away from the Toxteth riots in Liverpool, I can testify that this has worse ramifications, all the shops in Liverpool closed early. The only place serving food/drink after 8pm was Dominos, and most shops failed to open at all ( except Primark, normal opening hours ). There are some rather amusing shots of the Apple store staff carting off all their stock and leaving the premises bare of anything of value.

There's also a massive amount of scaremongering. Primark has apparently burnt down 3 times, yet it was perfectly intact last I checked.

I'd say the police are doing a good job up here in Liverpool, and there are plenty of normal people out on the cleanup operation with brooms, or starting spoof groups such as the 'Anti Riot - Stay in and have a cup of tea' event on facebook, or http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/


Image

Image

Image
User avatar
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer
Posts: 6238
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 01:14

Re: London Riots

Post by FLOZi »

Plato wrote:Isn't the British police Pretty reasonable as far as police forces go?
Does not carry guns, does not use water hoses and other anti-riot stuff...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/1 ... lice-riots
User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: London Riots

Post by Gota »

This was posted in reddit with the title "too soon?"
Image
User avatar
fc14159
Posts: 153
Joined: 06 Jul 2007, 17:27

Re: London Riots

Post by fc14159 »

That second video makes me pretty mad. What is up with the lack of riot police? How is the city not in a complete lockdown by now?
User avatar
Licho
Zero-K Developer
Posts: 3803
Joined: 19 May 2006, 19:13

Re: London Riots

Post by Licho »

Inequality and bad living conditions are usually root cause of such angry mob riots.. Expect more of such in the future
You dont see rich guys with good jobs burning next mcdonald..

But now there is nothing else to do than to support your police and protect property and innocent.
User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: London Riots

Post by KaiserJ »

come... on... you... spurs...
User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10382
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: London Riots

Post by PicassoCT »

Licho wrote: You dont see rich guys with good jobs burning next mcdonald..

But now there is nothing else to do than to support your police and protect property and innocent.
Actually licho - you do. In berlin on first of may, there are those suburb kiddies, starting the fights- the most ironic thing, though less famous is, that there are even clashes between the riot-tourists and the local left, because its actually those people living there, who have to pay in higher prices (=higher insurrancecosts = higher costs to hold store)

But in this case you are right - and the trigger for that anger, who builded up for a long time was that arabian and black teenagers are due to a english law "usual suspects" for bodysearches- and that twenty times as often as a white person.

So, police got what they want - every object that those rioters carried was carefully handed over (with highspeed) for a closeup inspection ;)

Fire in the hole. Also, scum of the earth, feeling not related in any way to the society the live in stealin.
BaNa
Posts: 1562
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 21:05

Re: London Riots

Post by BaNa »

As a contestant (photographer before UMAD) in the 2006 hungarian riots I am suprised that the english police do not use water cannons and such a great deal is made of water cannons. The angry crowd here actually destroyed a watercannon truck after catching it without foot support and in the mud.

Watercannons are very humanitarian, here the police had and used vipers (telescoping baton with lead weight at the end) which are illegal in this country.
Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”