SciFic Coming - Page 2

SciFic Coming

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: SciFic Coming

Post by rattle »

Clooney and Bullocks both starr in Gravity... hate the chick but Clooney was pretty awesome in Solaris. I'll at least give it a chance..

Prometheus.. oh well the last movies in the Alien universe, actually all of them after Alien 3, were mediocre to terrible.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Alien 3, worst one in the frenchise.
Solaris was a horrible remake and a mediocre film on its own.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Here is a question:
Why was blade runniner so loved? The only part I liked was when the robot dude had that sweet monologue about the shit he has seen. That character was really cool but the rest of the movie seems pretty meh detective story
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Each to their opinion.. I liked Solaris and Blade Runner (director's cut)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not saying it was bad. IMO it was great cinema. I just don't "get it" when it comes to it being the masterpiece I hear it described as. A lot like beyonce's "greatest video of all time"
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

It had great imagery, that redefined the genere.
And the dialog had this inception kind of foggy sentences, where everyone can interpret everything into it.
Still it was good. I luved the scene were Tyrell basically plays chess against his own creation and is defeated.

Remember the celonia in the dessert?
I do. And this offworld, which was advertised all the time, and yet the robots ran from it right towards this polluted hell of a world. So there was meaning and story to it, but it was hidden away into the scenery, and the setup.

I loved how he explained to rachel, that her memories were all a lie. Foreshadowed the ghosthack-scene of the garbagecollector in ghost in the shell.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Because it was the first scifi movie to invent/visualize BIG cities with powerful corporations and lots of depressed people. It then discussed the old question of "what makes us human" from a new perspective, mixing in the question of "humans becoming god" (if they can create something "human'ish").
All that is normal in modern scifi. All those movies with cities the size of countries and "give robots with emotions rights" - they are copy cats.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

dont do the copycat thing, once the grincat gets started, we do a travell back into history seeing that fritz langs metropolis was there before, and that one copied it from books, and the books copied it from ancient tales, and not long and we discuss if the description of atlantis was actually the first scifi
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

There is an element in Bladerunner that i didn't get right away, but which made me like it more when i did. (I already liked it very much because of the futuristic setting, and being somewhat a detective story.)
This element is subtle, some claim because the producers who didn't understand the movie cut stuff witch made it even more obscure.

Important aspects of this element are:
(spoiler if you haven't seen it)
1) A police detective who makes miniature statues, out of garbage.
2) The protagonist conducting an android test on a lady.
3) The protagonist confronting the lady with her personal memories, to proof to her her memories are implanted and thus she is an android.
4) The lady asking the protagonist if he was ever subject to an android test.
5) The protagonist having a dream about a unicorn. (seems very out of place at first)
6) the protagonist finding a miniature statue of a unicorn, suggesting the police detective is proving to him he is an android (the very entities he hunts and kills for a living), because he knows his personal memories.

In some way it is a little like "The 6th sense" or "unbreakable" or a movie like that. A movie where a little piece of information at the end puts the whole story in a new perspective.

I found it also interesting because it challenges you to think about the value of your memory/memories. A bit like "Memento" and "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" do.

"Solaris" i don't recall that well, but also has a subtle 'end clue' iirc:
(possible spoiler)
I think the book mentioned all the weird stuff happening was due to a living planet trying to communicate with the characters, and I think the movie didn't show/mention that aspect.
I could be wrong. It was quite a while ago since I saw it. (and even longer since I read the story)

On a different note: I wonder how GITS and Cowboy Bebob will tun out.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Thx Firestorm, i have seen this movie ten times, or even more, and something was always bugging me- and now i understand it - finally, finally it made click. Thats what was always lurking, a detective story in a detective story, so this is it, the plot point and i never grasped it.

Thanks a thousand times.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I got the what if he is not human thing to but it wasn't very interesting to me. I know when writers leave gaps it is supposed to be for the audience to imagine or whatnot but I just feel like it was incomplete, like a meal that just leaves you half full.

I can appreciate the whole it was a first I guess it just doesn't really fall into timeless like say the movie citizen kayne
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@PicassoCT
You're welcome. :-)

@Smoth
I guess you prefer stories where the mechanical people are piloted by real ones. :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

robot jocks was awesome, shut your whore mouth!
Gota

Post by Gota »

I was not super impressed by bladerunner the first time i saw it and i think it was cause iv seen it not that long a time ago.
I thought it was a good film but i guess it has a cult status cause, like was said before it did something unusual for cinema at that time.
It alos had a deep plot and a plot that was ,again unusual for its time in movies.
In books those futuristic themes were already covered of course.

Its like asking why alien was so awesome.
It's not like the concept was original, it wasnt.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

If you would put starwars starships as normal ships into the ocean, would the plot still work?

Nearly. Just the deathstar. And it would be one planet, so a war on diffrent continents.

If you took out the laserguns and lightsabres, and replaced them with crossbows and steelswoards, would that do anything, regarding the plot?

So, no, this aint no spaceopera. This is just opera. Backgrounddecoration might be a little spaced.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

smoth wrote:robot jocks was awesome, shut your whore mouth!
I see no reason to close my mouth, nor do I see how it is prostituting itself. :-)
Furthermore, I do not contest Robot Jox being awesome. I haven't seen it.

Among the mech brawling I primarily recall Aliens.
I like Aliens better then Alien. the Power Loader exoskeleton is partly reason why.
Generally I think the new or weird technology shown in Scifi movies is a big aspect in their appeal.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I like how macross had trackball mice.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

PicassoCT wrote:If you would put starwars starships as normal ships into the ocean, would the plot still work?

Nearly. Just the deathstar. And it would be one planet, so a war on diffrent continents.

If you took out the laserguns and lightsabres, and replaced them with crossbows and steelswoards, would that do anything, regarding the plot?

So, no, this aint no spaceopera. This is just opera. Backgrounddecoration might be a little spaced.
You just described a space opera.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

nah, space opera (with taking space seriously for what it is) is alastair reynolds and co - hard scifi is what real ever wrote space operas.

Moon was a space opera, other hard-scifi was space opera, but those other starfield-screensaver-as background-movies dont fall into that category. There is just no real space in them. No radiation, no vacum, not all the hazards and benefits of antig-g. If you take a word and strip it of its meaning, you can glue it a thousand times to your movie, it just isnt describing it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

legend of galactic heroes

I still have not seen this epic.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”