Why not Politics and religion?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Maybe I arrived late to the party- why are these two subjects now subject to insta-lock? given that these are often topics at the forefront of adult conversation (read: argument) and many people come to forums to engage in logical debate about subjects that interest them- and its pretty clear from the high rate of posting (flaming) that people are interested in Politics and Religion- what is the point of this? What else are we supposed to talk about? This is Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

edit:
I was going to post some interesting stuff in the US Debt topic- you know, the one with no flaming and lots of interesting graphs- but for some reason its locked? the american economy is politics now? does that make anything related to any goverment or any news relating to current affairs insta-lock as well?
smoth

Re: Why not Politics and religion?

Post by smoth »

The thread was getting political I believe that could have been the reason
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

The internet is not the place to engage in logical debates.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

hmmm I remember this being a banned subject back before we had our forum rules enshrined in a sticky, and the rule was followed long afterwards even with their absence from the list. Almost every single thread on these topics has resulted in a lock
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I dislike this policy too and would like to know this was the decision of a sole moderator or if it was discussed and agreed upon among all the moderators.

I found discussions here very interesting and i got linked to a lot of good reading.
Regret

Post by Regret »

From what I read, this was solely the decision of Das Bruce.
AF wrote:hmmm I remember this being a banned subject back before we had our forum rules enshrined in a sticky, and the rule was followed long afterwards even with their absence from the list. Almost every single thread on these topics has resulted in a lock
This is not true.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6693
There never was such a rule in history of spring rules, look at old rules.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Spring has enough animosity flying around without politics and religion getting into things, particularly since a couple of the more prominent game developers hold strong and somewhat unpopular political views and I'd hate to see them feel unwelcome because of things that have nothing to do with their games.

Feel free to take it to Reddit.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

un
Pxtl wrote:Spring has enough animosity flying around without politics and religion getting into things, particularly since a couple of the more prominent game developers hold strong and somewhat unpopular political views and I'd hate to see them feel unwelcome because of things that have nothing to do with their games.

Feel free to take it to Reddit.
If this forum was simply discussion of the spring engine and related games, period, it would probably be deserted by now..
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Pxtl wrote:a couple of the more prominent game developers hold strong and somewhat unpopular political views and I'd hate to see them feel unwelcome because of things that have nothing to do with their games.
Has that happened at any time or are you saying we should apply self-censorship because of your fears?

I've seen discussions about wars, terrorism, elections and the like here on the forums, some more acidic than others, but I haven't heard of anybody who left because they felt their political views where unwelcome.
Regret

Post by Regret »

I propose there be a subforum for people willing to engage in political / religious discussions. If somebody can't help but be offended, he/she can choose not to participate or even read the subforum. Enter at own risk and all that.

There is plenty of people here that do enjoy such discussions and plenty who don't. Compromise such as this would be beneficial for both parties while not limiting either.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Regret wrote:I propose there be a subforum for people willing to engage in political / religious discussions. If somebody can't help but be offended, he/she can choose not to participate or even read the subforum. Enter at own risk and all that.
There are PLENTY of other sites which are better for that.
Regret wrote:There is plenty of people here that do enjoy such discussions and plenty who don't. Compromise such as this would be beneficial for both parties while not limiting either.
There are plenty of people here who enjoy baiting with politics yes.
Regret

Post by Regret »

smoth wrote:There are PLENTY of other sites which are better for that.
If I felt like debating such topics with random people then believe me I would and I also do from time to time. Here however are many intellectual people that I know and understand at least partially their thought patterns, seen their past actions etc.
smoth wrote:There are plenty of people here who enjoy baiting with politics yes.
Everyone has a choice not to be offended or not to participate. With this new ruling there is no choice.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Regret wrote:With this new ruling there is no choice.
Correct.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”