No politics or religion

No politics or religion

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Das Bruce

No politics or religion

Post by Das Bruce »

It inevitably devolves into flamebaiting and trolling. So no more, you will be banned.

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/
Jazcash

Re: No politics or religion

Post by Jazcash »

Now lock this before this also gets trolled ;)
Regret

Post by Regret »

Is this official policy or your individual decision?
Das Bruce wrote:It inevitably devolves into flamebaiting and trolling. So no more, you will be banned.
Thread degeneration happens no matter the topic given enough attention from conflicting parties. Banning such particular observed events is a slippery slope.

I would recommend moderation of such heated discussions where hostility arises as opposed to punishing entire forum community for actions of few disturbed individuals. Politics and religion did offer many good discussions that took place on these forums.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

This has been a long time coming. Thank you Das Bruce. Finally the hate can be gone from this forum and we won't scare off newcomers from spring.
Regret

Post by Regret »

CarRepairer wrote:Finally the hate can be gone from this forum and we won't scare off newcomers from spring.
The hate is not in the topic but in the people. I really doubt newcomers get even remotely insulted by our offtopic threads. Lobby and technical difficulty of this engine/games is probably a more likely cause.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Regret wrote:Thread degeneration happens no matter the topic given enough attention from conflicting parties.
Few other threads are controversial enough to create these conflicting parties.
Regret wrote:Banning such particular observed events is a slippery slope.
In about a weeks time I'll probably ban discussing anything Spring related as well.
Regret wrote:I would recommend moderation of such heated discussions where hostility arises as opposed to punishing entire forum community for actions of few disturbed individuals.
That doesn't work. They're not even discussions, they seem more like pissing contests.
Regret wrote:Politics and religion did offer many good discussions that took place on these forums.
I'm sure there are plenty of other places you can find them.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Das Bruce wrote:Few other threads are controversial enough to create these conflicting parties.
You misunderstood me here, the conflicting parties are already in existence and need no creation. I was talking about specific people on this forum that inherently dislike each other. Given the right excuse they jump at it.
Das Bruce wrote:In about a weeks time I'll probably ban discussing anything Spring related as well.
I do not appreciate ridicule of arguments.
Das Bruce wrote:That doesn't work. They're not even discussion, they seem more like pissing contests.
I do not see any attempt to soothe such discussions. How can you claim it doesn't work when it is not tried? I do not mean edits of offensive posts, I mean actually encouraging users to behave when heat rises.

You also dodged my question. Is this ban your decision or one done collectively by administration?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Regret wrote:
CarRepairer wrote:Finally the hate can be gone from this forum and we won't scare off newcomers from spring.
The hate is not in the topic but in the people. I really doubt newcomers get even remotely insulted by our offtopic threads.
And I doubt that they wouldn't. There's no way of knowing which of us is right. But if you're right then nothing of value is lost with this latest decision. If I'm right, there is plenty to gain by preventing further loss of people.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Regret wrote:You misunderstood me here, the conflicting parties are already in existence and need no creation. I was talking about specific people on this forum that inherently dislike each other. Given the right excuse they jump at it.
I've seen these conflicting parties act in a perfectly reasonable manner under the right conditions.
Regret wrote:I do not appreciate ridicule of arguments.
My reply kept the tone of your suggestion.
Regret wrote:I do not see any attempt to soothe such discussions. How can you claim it doesn't work when it is not tried? I do not mean edits of offensive posts, I mean actually encouraging users to behave when heat rises.
Messages in threads, private messages, warnings and bans have all been attempted.
Regret wrote:You also dodged my question. Is this ban your decision or one done collectively by administration?
The issue was raised in the private moderator forums and no one objected.
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

Just noticed this but cant tell if legit or just HELLO IM USING THE RED BUTTON
Can a moderator confirm or deny?
Like YES or NO
Thanks
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

The ban was for offensive language. I should have added a note about what I edited out. Fixed now.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Thank you.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

meh, I have to disagree with the closing of the "us debt ceiling" thread.

the fact that all participants knew that we are on "unsafe ground" discussing politics has lead them to carefully choose their phrasing. the actual "devolving into flamebaiting and trolling" never actually took place.

reminds me of "minority report". you punish for a crime we didnt commit (yet?).
Last edited by TheMightyOne on 26 Jul 2011, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

finally.

thx

looks like the only topic left now is dsd :}
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I disagree with this policy. I think it has been kept fairly civil (compared to other forums) in the past and it always stays in the offtopic forums. Why would it scare people away? Who comes here and checks offtopic first?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

afk from spring moderator pulls a foeofthebee.

Tbh most springers use the offtopic forums more than than any other forum as alot of people are retired or barely play spring.

Maybe make a secret off topic forum which is invite only for veteran springers. Because tbh its always the same people in the off topic threads and most discussions are quite civil.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

CarRepairer wrote:This has been a long time coming. Thank you Das Bruce. Finally the hate can be gone from this forum and we won't scare off newcomers from spring.
^^ this
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Those threads were far more civil than other political / religious threads we've had here. Anyway, you've banned the real problem.
Regret

Post by Regret »

CarRepairer wrote:But if you're right then nothing of value is lost with this latest decision.
Only if you do not value the ability to discuss topics of interest. This policy is very vague in what qualifies as religion or politics.

Personally I did not consider either of closed topics (US dept, Norway attack) to be political or religious. A few posts inside said topics did however discuss politics.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Regret wrote:Only if you do not value the ability to discuss topics of interest. This policy is very vague in what qualifies as religion or politics.
Use your common sense when starting new topics, I'm not here to hold your hand.
Regret wrote:Personally I did not consider either of closed topics (US dept, Norway attack) to be political or religious. A few posts inside said topics did however discuss politics.
My observations indicate otherwise.

Regret, your objections have been noted, do you have anything new to add?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”