Congress yet again locking down the internet more Bill S.978

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

I hate this sort of crap
FUCK!
I hate my country so much some times, why the fuck do politicians do STUPID shit like this all the fucking time. GOD DAMNIT this shit actually makes me mad.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Congress yet again locking down the internet more Bill S.978

Post by zwzsg »

The youtube title:
The End of Let's Plays and Gaming Streams
The bill text:
the total retail value of the performances, or the total economic value of such public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, would exceed $2,500; or the total fair market value of licenses to offer performances of those works would exceed $5,000;ÔÇÖ; and
I would say they are vastly exaggerating the threat.

(Which does not mean I agree with the bill.)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I know the monitary thing should prevent abuse but the whole make any money on something and people get bent out of shape. It is the same reason I legally cannot take money for working on gundam(like donations).

so even if people are not making that much, most will avoid it because if they make any money they step on the the danger realm on this.

And the bill is retarded to begin with.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

well, what do you expect of a over-the-hill troop of ex-chieftains, who beeing robbed of there usual dutys (sending the young to fight neighborhoodtribes young) make the suck-puppet for any industry with enough money to think it can rewind time by making progress crime. Most of the youtube links you post are dead for me, and everyone else from germany, same shit diffrent, text. Doesent mean its dead, just means that youtube is dead. If you want vids, upload them to rapidshare.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I love Notch.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Our country is awesome. The idiots in congress are not so awesome.
"Basically, the U.S. appears to be claiming that if you do anything on the Internet, you're subject to U.S. laws. That's crazy and is going to come back to haunt U.S. law enforcement," writes TechDirt's Mike Masnick. "Do they not realize that this is the same thing that other countries have tried to do to U.S. citizens? The U.S. even passed a law, the SPEECH Act, to make it clear that U.S. citizens were not subject to the liability of other national laws, just because such things happen on the Internet. To then turn around and pretend the opposite is true for everyone else is just massive hypocrisy."
Notice it is a democrat that is championing this bill, but she got a dumbfuck republican from texas to join her. 20 bucks says he doesn't have a fucking clue of wtf is going on (which doesn't make it any better. He's still a dumbshit.).
scifi

Post by scifi »

Im going to add some stuff to the thread, as this discusion doesnt concern the gaming industry only.

There were other bills in 2010
The Bill has sections devoted to:

Creating an annual report that identifies those countries that engage in restrictive Internet activity (105.)
Setting up the Office of Global Internet Freedom reporting to the Secretary of State and led by a Director(104.)
There seems little danger of HR 2271 ever coming to a vote butWe must keep a wary eye on this 111th Congress that has over 40 measures under consideration that bear on highly technical issues. A misstep could be costly and have debilitating consequences for a fragile economy.

Global Internet Freedom will be best served by governments of all types avoiding any meddling in the still young Internet.
What you see in these consecutive bills is an atempt to control by law the mean of comunication that the internet is. Its a reach for control, either the reasons be economic or political.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

This happens when mindlessness have nothing importanter todo of thinking some bullshit to spawn rages... :roll:

Great name Ms. Klobuchar i am going to shit down on your toilet and leave it shitted, dude what the fuck? i cannot imagine you can provide quickly in 180 days 2500$ are they now poor? oooh they are sooo poor fucking retards, no seriously what the fuck did they taked?

I dont get it, how the fuck you can get money by uploading some videos?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

cant they just go and be corrupt, incapable fartbags elsewhere? No they cant...

They are responsible only to your grandpa and your parents..
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Haha, reminds me of a Finnish law some time ago intent on reducing piracy. If it had passed with the initial wording, it would have made using almost any computer application illegal. If I remember correctly.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

i wish i could lie better, i could sit in congress all day, doing nothing, getting my holidays financed by companys.. nod ocassionally when some mad idiot runs by to batter his nose against reality.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Claiming this is born out of ignorance and stupidity is IMO naive.
Im pretty sure these are just the voices of the movie and music industry that are trying as hard as possible to control the distribution of their "property".
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Gota wrote:Claiming this is born out of ignorance and stupidity is IMO naive.
Im pretty sure these are just the voices of the movie and music industry that are trying as hard as possible to control the distribution of their "property".
That, combined with the will of governments to control and censor their people, to remove their freedom.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

What really gets me is that the media giants pretend to be trying to protect the artists, when really they are out to screw artists and make money for themselves.

In the end though, that's why I hang around communities like this. When people make their stuff free then the businesses and governments can't screw the artists and the users for it. 8)
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

On second thought though, how far does this particular screwing extend? Like, would smoth need to remove his gundam rts video's because they technically contain "copyrighted material"? If so, how many other things get screwed too? Every star wars and harry potter spoof? Like, pretty much everything from HISHE and a lot of other channels? Pretty much 90% of everything on youtube?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

There is a nice german word for all this, and this is called "Willk├╝r".

It basically means, that the goverment disassembles the right it was supposed to protect, creating a greyzone, were you depend upon the mercy of others, to live your live.

Its the same with piracy, basically every police officer of the world, could today go into every house, take the computer, say "Thats against the law, you are coming with me!" and he would be right for sure.
If a law is broken by nearly every citizen, it stops beeing a law, and turns into a tool of Willk├╝r.

Oh, there is a english word for it: arbitrariness & capriciousness...well i like willkür better, it has the sound of "Willfährig" & "küren" meaning "unbound by Anyone but your free Will"& "selecting out of a Group"

tl,dr; One sweet Irony, that the goverment goes Anarchic when it comes to comon Crimes.
Panda

Post by Panda »

This is aggravating. People wouldn't be able to get permission from companies to upload play-throughs, so they basically wouldn't exist.

I hope the bill doesn't go through either. I doubt that play-throughs are actually hurting the artists too. Play-throughs might actually make the games more popular.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Panda wrote:Play-throughs might actually make the games more popular.
They certainly do the job for me. I often watch a couple play-throughs before buying a game.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Jazcash wrote:
Panda wrote:Play-throughs might actually make the games more popular.
They certainly do the job for me. I often watch a couple play-throughs before buying a game.
Play-through make it more likely for me to buy the game too.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”