Fast food is (really) bad for you - Page 2

Fast food is (really) bad for you

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Re: Fast food is (really) bad for you

Post by SinbadEV »

RAEGEQUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

they found honey preserved in an egyptian pyramid that was roughly 3000 years old; im assuming that the location and circumstance was right for the food to be preserved

assuming that the burger was stored somewhere dry and dark (and cooked first to remove the bacteria etc) then it would probably be edible
Panda

Post by Panda »

hoijui wrote:WTF!?!?!!?
Panda are you serious?
that is probably the most stupid thing that was ever said on this forum.
you actually suggest that more people would lack food if McDonalds would not exist?
If no fast food restaurants would exist, there would obviously be more other restaurants. working at McDonnalds is not a respectable job.
Without McDonnalds, but more normal restaurants instead, there would actually be respectable jobs available, and students working there could learn something there... at work.
They do NOTHING good for people!
They open up new McD restaurants right next to schools.
They provide scholarships for people and free meals for workers. In the university city where I lived, there weren't a whole lot of options available to out-of-town university students, especially if you didn't have a car. Often times, university students who lived there year round and had to support themselves would get jobs at the local bars. There were also some nice Chinese restaurants around that strangely only had Asian workers working at them which was what people (customers and employers) preferred. Other ladies that I knew got jobs as strippers, but they were able to make more money than the students working at the fast food restaurants. Therefore, I'm suggesting that fewer people would have career opportunities, and yes, be able to feed themselves if there weren't any fast food restaurants.
hoijui wrote:
It's difficult to be upset with a company when they do a lot of good things for people, are selling the food that people want to buy, and a lot of other businesses sell unhealthy foods as well.
It's difficult to be upset with Hitler, because his people loved him, and they disliked jews too, obviously. they also fought for him, and lots of people all around the world (as long as they were not attacked by him them selfs) looked up to him, and went on using his tactics, strategies and techniques (most dominantly the US, perhaps). Of course he was by far not the first or the last to start war, or do genocide.
just gotta love him!
Yep, over-reacting a lot in this post. You're already making Hitler comparisons.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

when i get burgers in fast food, and im not kidding, the tomatoes look like tomatoes, the steak look like a steak, the salad look like salad and the gherkins look like gherkins, can't see what's bad in there, ok the sauces are probably not healthy (not worse than ketch up), i never bought any chicken/fish crap because 1 ... STEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK and 2 ... there is no 2... just STEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKK

they're basicaly putting natural ingredient (probably the cheapest ones but still) between two piece of crappy bread (classic american "bread", hell real bread is fuckin better but it's okay) so what's wrong ?

Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@KaiserJ

Honey is a special case. Honey contains some freaking miracle natural preservatives and antiviral and antibacterial agents that researchers are constantly befuddled by and discovering new applications for.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Honey is really cool and can be used for a lot of things. However, they do say that you shouldn't feed it to infants because their immune system isn't built up enough to resist some of the microorganisms in honey that wouldn't be harmful to an adult.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i would love to see some graph comparing trends over time of
- quality of ingredients in restaurant food
- college tuition prices and total percentage of students per population
- minimum wage
- number of people making a career as a restaurant/farm worker, and their relative salaries

definitely not saying that we would be better off without the jobs provided by fast food esp for starving students; i just wonder what a world without fast food would be like... seems to me if people in restaurants/farms made more of a livable wage, then you'd have fewer people even wanting to go to university, and then restaurants would have less access to cheap labour and would have to offer better wages... dunno.

reading about honey now, much more to it than i was ever aware :) mental note to try using it as antiseptic next time i get scraped or cut
Panda

Post by Panda »

:-) I completely agree with what you said.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Being unable to accept one has done bad things in the past => deep problems in basic mental "algorithms" (mental illness)

Making a hitler comparisons in spite of a complete negation of reality.. what an overreaction! especially in off topic internet!
also... i was totally not aware of making a hitler comparison, thanks everyone for pointing it out.

By the way, jews deserved to die, because they have those strange looking noses. hitlers documentary movies made this very clear, but stupid people from other (stupid) countries did not get that, because they did not understand german. that's when they started war, which caused the deaths of many non-stupid people that knew german, and understood the importance of the looks of noses for the betterment of mankind.
did the world learn anything from that?
do YOU know german? now, 66 years after the war??
NO?!?! stuuuuuupid!!!!1
(just trying to socialize here... i am good in this! it will work)

Did you know that hitler built many highways in germany WITH HIS BARE HANDS?
he also organized special organization for kids to do sports together, have fun, learn from each other and the adults, learn respect for each other, and primarily of course, to get them out of the streets!
Before hitler became head of state, there were lots of fights between gangs, he solved that.
There were also no fat, ugly women in germany, because they were always active, serving their men, giving birth to children and doing exercises.
Would you want everyone to be fat and ugly?
... ah yeah right, you do not really care :/
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Where I live fastfood is more expensive than restaurants which offer much bigger and better cooked meals :)

I think I had like one meal at McDonalds in my whole life.
All I remember is that it was overpriced :)

I dont understand how is McDonalds feeding people. In the long term you need redistribution of wealth. Else rich become richer and dont buy normal stuff to keep wheels of economy turning - they push some bubble instead or buy silly stuff for rich people (jets, starships).

But anyway its easy to fix with communism if you dont mind the other sorts of inefficiencies. Prices and salaries didnt reflect real cost or value. They ere just regulating consumption and rewarding effort.

Miner got more money than doctor or lawyer and food or housing prices were so low you could never pay people producing them at salaries they actually got.
Also jobs were irrelevant, if there was no work for you it was simply invented. You could assemble and disassemble same thing to keep busy if there really wasnt anything to do.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

SinbadEV wrote:
Satirik wrote:
Hoi wrote:It clearly shows that the burgers don't go bad. And that just can't be healthy.
why ?
Yeah, srsly... humans have been consuming preservatives for generations... and we're living longer... perhaps preservatives are GOOD for us, hmmm?
Bla bla bla and bla. Yeah, sure, stuff like honey can be conserved. But meat goes bad. Just put a steak outside for a few hours, there will be maggots all over it.

So this does not happen with the mc donalds hamburgers (and many others), raw, fried, roasted, it does not matter. No maggots and flies. Why not? Because there obviously is something bad in it that repels them, which means that it can not be good for us. Even worse, it is very bad for us.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

As much as I dislike fast food, that bit about the immortal hamburger thing just makes me facepalm. With a little bit of google I found this: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/201 ... sults.html

Hooray for people who have the ability to make actual experiments and gain meaningful results.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

lol you thought thats what he said?
luckywaldo7 wrote:http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/201 ... sults.html

Hooray for people who have the ability to make actual experiments and gain meaningful results.
this line summed it up nicely;

how do you think beef jerky is made?
Panda

Post by Panda »

hoijui wrote:Being unable to accept one has done bad things in the past => deep problems in basic mental "algorithms" (mental illness)

Making a hitler comparisons in spite of a complete negation of reality.. what an overreaction! especially in off topic internet!
also... i was totally not aware of making a hitler comparison, thanks everyone for pointing it out.

By the way, jews deserved to die, because they have those strange looking noses. hitlers documentary movies made this very clear, but stupid people from other (stupid) countries did not get that, because they did not understand german. that's when they started war, which caused the deaths of many non-stupid people that knew german, and understood the importance of the looks of noses for the betterment of mankind.
did the world learn anything from that?
do YOU know german? now, 66 years after the war??
NO?!?! stuuuuuupid!!!!1
(just trying to socialize here... i am good in this! it will work)

Did you know that hitler built many highways in germany WITH HIS BARE HANDS?
he also organized special organization for kids to do sports together, have fun, learn from each other and the adults, learn respect for each other, and primarily of course, to get them out of the streets!
Before hitler became head of state, there were lots of fights between gangs, he solved that.
There were also no fat, ugly women in germany, because they were always active, serving their men, giving birth to children and doing exercises.
Would you want everyone to be fat and ugly?
... ah yeah right, you do not really care :/
I don't know what your mental issues are, but I'm sure that I have not committed a terrible sin by working as a Crew Trainer at McDonald's. I live in America. I hope that you are able to work through your dilemma. Erm, God Wills It?

I'm sure that I have not committed a great evil because I've worked as a Crew Trainer at McDonald's too.
Lol. It sounded like he said that meat went bad because maggots spontaneously generate from it.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

From my observations, McD's brand of fast food is on the way out. It'll take a long, long time, because the marketing they have is nothing short of genius, but I predict that the stakes are in the favor of chains like Chipotle (which McDonald's actually owned a majority share in until 2006).

Rather than serving different kinds of dishes, places like Chipotle attain menu variety by providing a selection of ingredients and allowing customers to mix-and-match. The result is a simpler supply line that remains very profitable as long as people are eating Chipotle's food. And people will eat Chipotle's food, because their ingredients are fresh and their food actually tastes pretty good. Once you get the cycle started, it becomes a pretty robust business model. The customer benefits too, because we're getting actual food now. Maybe not the healthiest food, but actual food all the same.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Nobody checked the dateline investigation? If you live in the US and eat fast food you have probably been eating in one of those 1000 restaurants at some point and 60% of them had critical violations in the last year and a half. With a critical violation meaning the sanitation has failed so badly that the food was affected.

You can't pay young people $12/hour and expect them to play nice with the food. Especially not in a stressful environment like a McD's -------.

The worst offender was BK where employees did not even wash their hands before preparing your food. Worse still was cases of salmonella from the improper handling of food by unskilled workers.

Any restaurant owner or chef with a shred of respect for his restaurant and/or profession would make sure his employees didn't do things like that.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i am sure that you are sure, and this is not about sin and god, but about humans that need to see their past as respectable, glorious, good... whatever.

adding to the important topic i mentioned in my last post:
As we all know, the terroristic races, like talibans and muslimists and the like, can be identified by their looks easily; usually, that is. they have those beards, but... if you think about it, these beards can be cut off! that would allow them to wander around in disguise, which we can not allow to happen!

In recent years, the US invested tons of money in research, and it paid out!
They eventually figured, that the terrorists wear those strange looking noses (of evil)!
This is also why their "women" hide their faces in public, so nobody can identify them as terrorists by their noses!
hitler would be happy about this peer-reviewed study of his; ain't this a wonderful example of inter-space and -time communication of nations? working hand in hand, despite the huge differences in moral and ethical supremacy!
brings joy to my heart!

maybe this can even help settling differences in palestina, as now the jews and terrorists there can be sure about their common grounds of the looks of evil noses.

heil hitler! the peace maker!
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

hoijui please keep on-topic and go troll panda somewhere else(maybe in her fitness ball thread?). lol
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Wombat wrote:i haz mcdonalnds chocolate shake right now.

and its epic.

also they make best cheeseburgers ever. cba about the rest.
^^ This. And MUTHAFUCK MCCHICKENZ BIOTCH!

Also, hoijui... wow dude. Smoth beat me to the rebuttal, but yes. What he said.

Also, smoth forgot to mention the ronald mcdonald house.

Edit: Hoijui... Dude, shrooms are to be taken in moderation. Your last post was very emmanuel-esque in it's legibility.

Also, lol@ mcdonalds, the axis of evil. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife!

Edit2: When i was 15 I worked at KFC for 1.5 years as a cook (which actually was a great job for me at that age because I love to cook). KFC is only unhealthy due to the amount of grease from the deep fryer, however, you will get every bit the same amount of grease from using one of those home deep fryer thingies.

It's all about the breading tbh. For original chicken (my favorite), the chicken is soaked, rolled in flour, soaked, rolled in flour, soaked rolled in flour, and dropped in the fryer. That explains why it tastes so goddman good, but all that causes the breading to soak up much more grease.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”