human spam bots

human spam bots

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

human spam bots

Post by knorke » 11 May 2011, 02:37

Oh noez where does teh spam come from, teh captchas do nothing?
SinbadEV wrote:These bots are getting really smart.
That is because they are no bots. They are humans in some country like india or whatever and basically they get paid to post spam.

The idea is that search engines will pick up the links in their signature or profile and thus increase page rank.

Example
ie http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25929
adamden02 wrote:What game do you say ?
google for his nick: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=adamden02
He is registered in THOUSANDS of forums, always having 1 post, always posting something vaguely related and always with the same links in profile or signature.

It might be semi-automatic:
1) Software searches for new forums and registers
2) human solves captcha
3) human reads thread and posts some crap that seems legit if not looked at closely. "thanks for link!" "i like that game too!" etc.


Surely posters would notice such useless postings on their forum.
No. It is easy to write crap on people will not even notice or just think it is trolling.
See the postings of this account:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/search.php?a ... 1&sr=posts
Seems legit when just scrolling through the thread but if you look closely: No posting makes any sense and just repeats what others said.
(Also note the link in the profile)

And on most forums you can tell the difference anyway because quality of posting is low anyway and nobody cares:
ie http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/vide ... -city.html
Or about any gaming message board.

But even on springrts it works.
Pretty cool huh.
0 x

User avatar
Wombat
Posts: 3379
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 15:53

Re: human spam bots

Post by Wombat » 11 May 2011, 02:46

FUK. i was sure broderickvam is bot. after last guy who was talking strange things but turned out to be legit, didnt want to risk :D

i feel pwnd ;_;
0 x

User avatar
SinbadEV
Posts: 6475
Joined: 02 May 2005, 03:56

Re: human spam bots

Post by SinbadEV » 11 May 2011, 03:06

Wombat wrote:FUK. i was sure broderickvam is bot. after last guy who was talking strange things but turned out to be legit, didnt want to risk :D

i feel pwnd ;_;
It's sad when real humans fail the Turing test.

I think I've banned like 4 of these over the course of the last week.
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: human spam bots

Post by knorke » 11 May 2011, 03:08

if you just change the user ID in the url you can see how many there really are:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10889

http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10886

http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10883

http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10880

http://springrts.com/phpbb/search.php?a ... 0&sr=posts

...
..
.

seems often moderators deleted the post but did not delete the account.
If they notice that accounts are not deleted, they will keep registering, for search engines to find the links in the profiles.
And some will keep spamming.
0 x

User avatar
Petah
Posts: 426
Joined: 13 Jan 2008, 19:40

Re: human spam bots

Post by Petah » 11 May 2011, 03:45

So circumvent them and disallow search engines to crawl profile pages.
0 x

User avatar
fc14159
Posts: 153
Joined: 06 Jul 2007, 17:27

Re: human spam bots

Post by fc14159 » 11 May 2011, 05:53

User ID in the url tells bots Moderators can ban and the Turing test will disallow spam by search engine.

Haha, are those posts seriously human? Who exactly pays them? And just how effective are these spammers that the companies or whatever find a profit in paying them?
0 x

User avatar
MidKnight
Posts: 2650
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 03:11

Re: human spam bots

Post by MidKnight » 11 May 2011, 05:56

0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: human spam bots

Post by knorke » 11 May 2011, 06:01

I am 99% sure they are human. Wages in some countries are low enough that you can probally run a whole spam center...
How that makes money though, I have no idea.
Even "enlarge your penis" spam can work if just one idiot falls for it and buys some pills for $100.

This adamden02 just links to a page with (bad) flashgames. There are not even ads on it (or they got blocked lol)
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: human spam bots

Post by Gota » 11 May 2011, 08:18

Imagine a "human bot" posting in forums about human bots and how they function ^^...
0 x

User avatar
Sabutai
Posts: 413
Joined: 18 Dec 2005, 05:55

Re: human spam bots

Post by Sabutai » 11 May 2011, 08:30

The software Xrumer(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRumer) does it all automatically (800$ + monthly fee). And then there are tools like Senuke or Scrapeboard, they post automatically and the captchas get solved by a service like deathbycaptcha ($1.39 for 1000 solved CAPTCHAs.). These solving services send the captcha to india or the philippines and the solved strings are sent back to the program which inserts it automatically. So in the spammers point of view it's done automatically aswell. All you need is a fast pc. Just don't let them post here or this forum will end in an a u t o a p p r o v e list. Then you get like thounsands a day. I know all about it.

Profit is huge... They bost their SEO with it. I am making money myself too through affiliate marketing.
knorke wrote:Oh noez where does teh spam come from, teh captchas do nothing?
SinbadEV wrote:These bots are getting really smart.
That is because they are no bots. They are humans in some country like india or whatever and basically they get paid to post spam.

The idea is that search engines will pick up the links in their signature or profile and thus increase page rank.

Example
ie http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25929
adamden02 wrote:What game do you say ?
google for his nick: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=adamden02
He is registered in THOUSANDS of forums, always having 1 post, always posting something vaguely related and always with the same links in profile or signature.

It might be semi-automatic:
1) Software searches for new forums and registers
2) human solves captcha
3) human reads thread and posts some crap that seems legit if not looked at closely. "thanks for link!" "i like that game too!" etc.


Surely posters would notice such useless postings on their forum.
No. It is easy to write crap on people will not even notice or just think it is trolling.
See the postings of this account:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/search.php?a ... 1&sr=posts
Seems legit when just scrolling through the thread but if you look closely: No posting makes any sense and just repeats what others said.
(Also note the link in the profile)

And on most forums you can tell the difference anyway because quality of posting is low anyway and nobody cares:
ie http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/vide ... -city.html
Or about any gaming message board.

But even on springrts it works.
Pretty cool huh.
0 x

User avatar
MidKnight
Posts: 2650
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 03:11

Re: human spam bots

Post by MidKnight » 11 May 2011, 23:14

http://www.stopforumspam.com/ appears to house a database of information regarding forum spammers, along with an API we could implement to blacklist these guys.
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20669
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: human spam bots

Post by AF » 12 May 2011, 03:07

Perhaps with some edit sniping we can turn it into a highly productive forum post
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: human spam bots

Post by knorke » 12 May 2011, 22:58

lately when i clicked the "Our newest member is" thing for lolz, i was always a spam account.
ie right now it shows alex13689 (http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10908)

most do not post though are seem just happy with being scanned by search engines.

Now I am wondering if springrts.com has lots of spam stuff on it, will it get a lower rating on google?
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: human spam bots

Post by Neddie » 13 May 2011, 01:52

That depends, some of Google's page weighting is manual, some is automated.

We've been banning them as they post, I'm leery of banning by IP in the developing world because IP change hands and these countries are going to be an increasing source of players in the long term. I've been considering outright deleting their accounts after banning them, but did not feel that was necessary.

EDIT: I banned broderick after seeing one of his posts, so at least this behaviour isn't fooling me.
0 x

Masure
Posts: 581
Joined: 30 Jan 2007, 15:23

Re: human spam bots

Post by Masure » 13 May 2011, 11:16

Do you use phpbb modules to fight against bots efficiently ?
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: human spam bots

Post by knorke » 13 May 2011, 19:41

I've been considering outright deleting their accounts after banning them, but did not feel that was necessary.
if deleting/banning is the same amount of work I would say just delete.
0 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10238
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: human spam bots

Post by PicassoCT » 13 May 2011, 19:50

I became a shareholder of that spam company to stop the whole thing. Turns out on the annual shareholder meeting, they dont have anything to do with advertising, they just make food.
0 x

Tobi
Spring Developer
Posts: 4598
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 11:36

Re: human spam bots

Post by Tobi » 14 May 2011, 12:06

knorke wrote:lately when i clicked the "Our newest member is" thing for lolz, i was always a spam account.
ie right now it shows alex13689 (http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10908)

most do not post though are seem just happy with being scanned by search engines.

Now I am wondering if springrts.com has lots of spam stuff on it, will it get a lower rating on google?
Profiles can't be seen without logging in.

(Unless phpbb has some weird stuff in it that makes profiles visible to google bots (it detects google bot presence after all...))
0 x

User avatar
Sabutai
Posts: 413
Joined: 18 Dec 2005, 05:55

Re: human spam bots

Post by Sabutai » 14 May 2011, 14:36

Tobi wrote:
knorke wrote:lately when i clicked the "Our newest member is" thing for lolz, i was always a spam account.
ie right now it shows alex13689 (http://springrts.com/phpbb/memberlist.p ... le&u=10908)

most do not post though are seem just happy with being scanned by search engines.

Now I am wondering if springrts.com has lots of spam stuff on it, will it get a lower rating on google?
Profiles can't be seen without logging in.

(Unless phpbb has some weird stuff in it that makes profiles visible to google bots (it detects google bot presence after all...))
Googlebot is logged in. It can index profilepages aswell.
0 x

Tobi
Spring Developer
Posts: 4598
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 11:36

Re: human spam bots

Post by Tobi » 14 May 2011, 21:28

Sabutai wrote:Googlebot is logged in. It can index profilepages aswell.
It appears on this forum bots do not have permission to view memberlist/profile pages.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”