Image macros - Page 2

Image macros

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Re: Image macros

Post by TradeMark »

zwzsg wrote:except when they're specially crafted Spring screenshots with captions
so then people start to make games for spring which look like these image macros they already use...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

More Spring games, more creativity in posters, more Spring-custom macros. Yes, I'd support that.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

but the reality is: they wont make any new games, but just camouflage the macros look like spring games...

"hey, image macros were not allowed! - oh? shit. wait. *adds crappy looking spring terrain behind it* - happy now? - oh yeah, keep up the good work man!"
smoth

Post by smoth »

Regret is just playing around, image macros are part of Internet culture and while they can be used to troll, that is like saying ban English because people troll with it. Their purpose is to convey an idea or thought sometimes they are more succinct than the walls of shit people post and call it mature discussion.

Even still regret goes on a crusade distracting from the real issues of the forum insisting on more rules. Fact of the matter is the same rules that apply to plain text also can be applied to macros but that would require that other trolling also be moderated, i'm just sayin' real trolling is subtle and requires something better than a bandaid fix. I am not bothering to even discuss it further because this toxic community isn't changing.
Regret

Post by Regret »

smoth wrote:Regret is just playing around
I am being serious about this. I would hate to see these forums degrade any further.
smoth wrote:image macros are part of Internet culture and while they can be used to troll, that is like saying ban English because people troll with it.
Image macros spam several hundred pixels across a thread, take long to load on slow connections and are visually disruptive to a topic, derailing it by mere presence, just like flashy avatars/long signatures.
smoth wrote:Their purpose is to convey an idea or thought sometimes they are more succinct than the walls of shit people post and call it mature discussion.
Words can be much more accurately interpreted than an image. There are grammar rules for sentences assembled from words some of which have very strict meanings without room for misunderstandings. Understanding of used language is assumed.

Images do not abide to any formal or informal rules of interpretation, each subjective in meaning create unnecessary confusion, shock and awe used to irrationally further ones argument. I admit they have their humor function that is innocent where intended and I believe there's a fine line between attempting to be funny and belittling posts of others.
smoth wrote:Even still regret goes on a crusade distracting from the real issues of the forum insisting on more rules.
I understand your intentions with the use of "crusade", your general disagreement about the issue manifested into negative labels just to cast doubt on the whole topic and my own aims. I do admit your usage (and KaiserJ's avatar/gif) was the 'last drop' after which I decided to bring attention to the matter. I do not hold any grudge against you personally.
smoth wrote:Fact of the matter is the same rules that apply to plain text also can be applied to macros but that would require that other trolling also be moderated, i'm just sayin' real trolling is subtle and requires something better than a bandaid fix. I am not bothering to even discuss it further because this toxic community isn't changing.
I agree that the core issue here is a lack of moderation. I believe this can be attributed to several conservative individuals responsible for distributing moderation responsibilities and a lack of proper structure. There is no division of responsibilities, people do what they get to when they get to, no motivator for action but ones own mood. I've seen even lack of awareness about currently applied forum rules. All signs of decay in progress.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

smoth wrote:i'm just sayin' real trolling is subtle and requires something better than a bandaid fix. I am not bothering to even discuss it further because this toxic community isn't changing.
dont try to pretend you are not one of those "toxic" trolls.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Regret that's what I'm sayin' seems like a silly thing to crusade. Your last paragraph I do agree with but allow me to argue against 2 points.

People frequently misinterpret each others meanings, people here are not all native English so sometimes complex sentences can be lost on them. I find that illustrations often help technical discussions here as such, the nontechnical can also benefit from them.
"edit" illustrative example: I used crusade because I feel most of us here have our own personal crusade however because language is contextual and specifically that reference you took it plus some other text and interpreted your own meaning.

Bandwidth getting eaten is just part of being here, most threads are image heavy with screenshots and animated gifs showing game development, comparitively most image macros are tiny in size. Feels like a weak point, we are all on good connections except for jazcash who isn't complaining
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

ITT: Trolls baaaawing for more rules
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Feels like a weak point, we are all on good connections except for jazcash who isn't complaining
omai, one pic and so many benefits!
Regret

Post by Regret »

smoth wrote:Regret that's what I'm sayin' seems like a silly thing to crusade. Your last paragraph I do agree with but allow me to argue against 2 points.

People frequently misinterpret each others meanings, people here are not all native English so sometimes complex sentences can be lost on them. I find that illustrations often help technical discussions here as such, the nontechnical can also benefit from them.
"edit" illustrative example: I used crusade because I feel most of us here have our own personal crusade however because language is contextual and specifically that reference you took it plus some other text and interpreted your own meaning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades
I take every word for their defined meaning. Crusades are fanatical religious campaigns. I am not here to debate semantics with you or with anyone. I cannot know what you defined crusade as in your mind, as such I am using established explanations of the word. In such interpretation it is indeed hostile from your side.

I posted a single thread on the issue.
smoth wrote:Bandwidth getting eaten is just part of being here, most threads are image heavy with screenshots and animated gifs showing game development, comparitively most image macros are tiny in size. Feels like a weak point, we are all on good connections except for jazcash who isn't complaining
Yes bandwidth is not a big factor for most users, I provided several other points.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Main Entry: 1cru┬Àsade
Pronunciation: \krü-ˈsād\
Function: noun
Etymology: blend of Middle French croisade & Spanish cruzada; both ultimately from Latin cruc-, crux cross
Date: circa 1708
1 capitalized : any of the military expeditions undertaken by Christian powers in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries to win the Holy Land from the Muslims
2 : a remedial enterprise undertaken with zeal and enthusiasm
Crusade minus the 's' you fail at English furthermore american English which I speak, as defined by merriam Webster. When in doubt you use that dictionary. Don't add letter they change words into other words.
Regret

Post by Regret »

smoth wrote:2 : a remedial enterprise undertaken with zeal and enthusiasm
Crusade minus the 's' you fail at English furthermore american English which I speak, as defined by merriam Webster. When in doubt you use that dictionary. Don't add letter they change words into other words.
I used plural form, therefor I fail at English. I will not respond to further attempts to derail this thread or to semantic discussion. Feel free to PM me about it.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

regret stops responding when he is getting pwnd and proved wrong.

sneaky !
knorke

Post by knorke »

I support the ban of image macros, except when they're specially crafted Spring screenshots with captions.
hooray!
:roll:
Also, can we restore the ban on animated avatar?
booo!

srsbsnss:
it depends on the thread/situation.
ie in "Random WIP" i feel macros are okay. Maybe just think a moment if you want to quote that 1000 pixel screenshot.jpg and add a 1000 pixel fail.jpg or awesome.jpg
But nothing wrong with smaller macros imo, esp. if there is text too.

Something like this:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=23
is ok to me. It is just an image but the message is clear: somebody is happy that the WD game is being continued. Guy could have written "ooh i love WD, hooray +1" but basically it is the same and not that much screen space is wasted because posts have a "minimum height" anyway. Just if every second post on the page is already a macro it would be better not to post another.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Wombat wrote:regret stops responding when he is getting pwnd and proved wrong.

sneaky !
maybe it is because smoth didn't post it as an image macro
Regret

Post by Regret »

Wombat wrote:regret stops responding when he is getting pwnd and proved wrong.

sneaky !
BaNa wrote:maybe it is because smoth didn't post it as an image macro
I am touched by your childish thought patterns. I have said in a preceding post that I will not debate semantics, and so I won't.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

regret stop crying in the corner and come play with us, im sad coz u r sad.

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

was scrolling thru then loled hard

is that what bathrooms are like in europe? no stalls, toilet facing eachother so you can have a chat/race to the finish :D ?

i wish i had a pic of wombat, he poops constantly, it would be perfect
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

'cuse me, since when morning crap is anything strange
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Regret wrote: I take every word for their defined meaning.
You must be a swell guy to hang out with.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”