He died?

He died?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

He died?

Post by bobthedinosaur »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 58496.html
or
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/ameri ... 75789.html

Not much on reports just yet...

So what now?

Who's the bad guy?

Can the NATO force's leave Afghanistan now?
fc14159

Re: He died?

Post by fc14159 »

Cool. Too bad nothing at all has changed or will change.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Man. I've been google mapping the area where he was killed (Abbottabad) in his manson/ compound. University sign in english welcoming engineering students. Girls Highschool, golf course, a couple dozen khan (rich powerful guy) owned houses. Pretty amazing that all this time (well since last August at least) he has been chilling out there. Closer to Kashmir than Afghanistan.
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

I was panning around and suddenly I'm in Japan, drifting an AE86.

Attachments
initiald.jpg
(105.84 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

fc14159 wrote:Cool. Too bad nothing at all has changed or will change.
^^ This. It's a moral victory, but nothing else really. And yes, I'm glad the fucker is dead, but I doubt anything will really change.

Chop the head off of a snake and another takes it's place.
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

At last they got him!
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Let's hide the body.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Guess somebody decided he had stopped being useful to them.. :regret:
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

I'm having a great time but I wish I was in NY right now.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

I'm already reading between the lines.

Most notable thing so far is no mention of the names of the "two people" killed with him and his son. If this was such a flawless intelligence operation why won't they say already who else got killed? I suspect they'll be civilians who'll get labelled as bodyguards or something.

If they've been planning this for so long and it went so well why wasn't he captured, not killed? For such a high profile target they could knockout gas an entire building and not get backlash.

What happens next, will the body be returned to the family for an independent funeral and autopsy or will the US claim possession of the body?

Now that he's dead will they release the proof that he actually masterminded 9/11 and explain how they knew so soon after the event? Last I heard no court has ever convicted him of that particular crime. Wouldn't that make this an extra-judicial assasination of a legally innocent person (as in "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" not "guilty because the CIA say so") ?

I hate this whole thing and I'm not the least bit surprised that the war on terror rhetoric is still going full speed even while the stated reason for starting it is technically resolved.
Valheru

Post by Valheru »

Well are we actually going to see any proof for this? Where's the body going to be displayed? It happened on the 8th anniversary of Bush declaring "victory", sounds a bit schemed to me :S

And the only thing to come of this is likely to be increased terrorist attacks for a few weeks/months; we're in for it now..
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

There is no proof, taliban/al quida are saying that he is still alive. Maybe it's someone who looks like him, maybe they're just trying to boost their people's morale.

And don't forget this:
After leaving college in 1979 bin Laden joined Abdullah Azzam to fight the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan[55] and lived for a time in Peshawar.[56] From 1979 through 1989 under U.S. Presidents Carter and Reagan, the United States Central Intelligence Agency provided overt and covert financial aid, arms and training to Osama's Islamic Jihad Mujahideen through Operation Cyclone[57], and The Reagan Doctrine. President Reagan often praised Osama's Mujahideen as Afghanistan's "Freedom Fighters."
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Amazing what the Americans can do when PlayStation Network is down.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I have difficulty being happy about someone being killed in the bombing of a (theoretically) civilian target. Kinda wish that, given that they (apparently) knew where he was they had gone in and arrested him or whatever.

That said, one of the cool things about fanatically religious personality cults is that killing the leader DOES tend to do irreparable to the organization... so while there is almost guaranteed going to be significant backlash from his supporters there is also a good chance that the work of picking apart wholesale terrorism will now be easier.

Also, my uncle who lives in Alaska apparently shot off a couple hundred rounds of automatic ammunition to celebrate, so I think I'm covered as far as "mean level of jubilation" in concerned.

Oooh, conspiracy theory time:

Was the royal wedding used as a cover to get some key informant knowing the location of OBL into friendly territory?
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Congratulations to the US on giving him what he wanted. A martyrs death.

The backlash on this one is going to be heavy.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

BlackLiger wrote:Congratulations to the US on giving him what he wanted. A martyrs death.

The backlash on this one is going to be heavy.
Forum needs a "+1" button so I don't have to make extra posts like this.

Yes, Martyrs death is significantly less useful to the US then getting him convicted of war crimes would have... I'm wondering if it was done "entirely" on purpose... maybe they bombed the target for other reasons and the fact that they killed the most hunted man in the world was a "happy coincidence"?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

this is so obvious hoax
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

For those who may have doubted that I have an uncle who lives in Alaska and decided to shoot 90 rounds of ammunition out his front door in celebration... apparently he video-blogged the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFLxr5AqId4
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

SinbadEV wrote:For those who may have doubted that I have an uncle who lives in Alaska and decided to shoot 90 rounds of ammunition out his front door in celebration... apparently he video-blogged the event:

Wow..he lives in a shit hut. And still I bet he thinks "dem dur moslems iz backwerd pepuls". :lol:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Cheesecan wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:For those who may have doubted that I have an uncle who lives in Alaska and decided to shoot 90 rounds of ammunition out his front door in celebration... apparently he video-blogged the event:

Wow..he lives in a shit hut. And still I bet he thinks "dem dur moslems iz backwerd pepuls". :lol:
Well... he used to live on a boat, but it sank...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”