#elxn41 [Upcoming Canadian Federal Elections]

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_f ... tion,_2011

I really doubt that this will devolve into the level of adolescent pyrotechnics as those about the USA political climate and I know we've got a few Canucks around the forums... soo... who's voting?

I'm pretty sure I'm voting, the "New Revolution Communist" handing out flyers at the bus station seemed to think I shouldn't but, despite it's obvious flaws, parliamentary democracy seems to work pretty well... it would help if we could all at least agree what's best for everyone but until the government starts handing out felis or chocolate rations I doubt we're going to get true consensus.

I really want to know who's running Jack Layton's Twitter Account... because:
@jacklayton wrote:When it comes to the digital economy ÔÇô @pmharper is a Commodore 64 in an iPad world http://ndp.ca/hhJgv #elxn41 #Cdnpoli #NDP
is way too clever for a politician, even if he's a nerd... and he seems to use "lolspeak" style contractions like "db8" more then the average baby boomer.
Sheekel

Re: #elxn41 [Upcoming Canadian Federal Elections]

Post by Sheekel »

im voting for the green party
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Liberals are gay

:lol:
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Forboding Angel wrote:Liberals are gay

Conservatives are gayer

:P
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

MidKnight wrote:

Conservatives are gayer

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

RE: Claims about the sexual orientation of the Liberals and Conservatives...

Good thing it's not a two party system.

edit: sorry, I just realized that made me sound anti-gay when I really meant it to make me sound both anti-liberal and anti-conservative.

See, this is why I don't like it when people use the term "Gay" as an adjective.
tombom

Post by tombom »

I've seen some polling suggesting NDP are nearly neck and neck with the Conservatives and far ahead of the Liberals. That would rule.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Has anybody found a helpful "platform comparison chart"... I don't really know who to vote for still but am leaning towards the Pirate Party... I don't expect them to win but I feel that their issues are important and a vote for them is a vote for the other parties to pay attention to them... but if the NDP or someone are already pro-fair-use and pro-privacy then I'd like to know.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

SinbadEV wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm voting, the "New Revolution Communist" handing out flyers at the bus station seemed to think I shouldn't
http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/w ... c/ch07.htm

Pretty poorly read communist.

tombom wrote:I've seen some polling suggesting NDP are nearly neck and neck with the Conservatives and far ahead of the Liberals. That would rule.
It would certainly be an interesting political turn within the context of the G8, but I doubt much more than that.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Wait, there's another communist party in Canada? How many does that make?

Either way, I'm voting Liberal - I actually *like* the Liberal platforms, in spite of the actual candidates, and in my riding they seem to be running a pretty cool guy....

but it doesn't matter, vote-splitting in my riding will lead to far-right conservative Sweet keeping his seat.

Our system is so painfully badly broken.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Pxtl wrote:Wait, there's another communist party in Canada? How many does that make?
Seeing as they are boycotting the election I don't think you can call them a "party", so still just the "Communist" and the "Marxist-Leninist" parties.
tombom

Post by tombom »

FLOZi wrote:It would certainly be an interesting political turn within the context of the G8, but I doubt much more than that.
Oh yeah, it's hardly revolutionary. It would just be nice to see a relatively centre-left party actually get elected
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

MidKnight wrote:

Conservatives are gayer

WTF man!?!? I thought you supported gay rights!??! Run him up the flagpole, 300 years in prison, rabble rabble rabble!!!

Actually I was incorrect. Liberals are not gay, just pussies.

(Why isn't this thread a bash the US thread yet?)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE... personally, as a supporter of democracy, I feel like it's more important for you to inform yourself on the candidates in your riding and get off your butt and vote then who specifically you vote for... so yeah... GO VOTE!!!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

From my twitter feed: FarAndWide
Canadians need to do something about this obvious liberal media bias: http://bit.ly/iY8Z8Q #elxn41
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Pxtl wrote:From my twitter feed: FarAndWide
Canadians need to do something about this obvious liberal media bias: http://bit.ly/iY8Z8Q #elxn41
LOL... for a country where people complain about the media being too "liberal" that is hilarious... I think the problem is that very few people seem to be able to see past "tax cuts and free money for families!!!"
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Forboding Angel wrote:WTF man!?!? I thought you supported gay rights!??! Run him up the flagpole, 300 years in prison, rabble rabble rabble!!!
liberals merely support gay rights, while conservatives take full advantage of them
tombom

Post by tombom »

Pxtl wrote:From my twitter feed: FarAndWide
What the fuck? No, seriously. What the fuck? Even if you like conservative ideologies, the Conservatives have been pretty fucking awful in quite a few important ways. I genuinely can't believe this.

Ours was nearly as bad, but at least you could consider that the result of anti-incumbent feeling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_ ... tion,_2010
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Soooo... I guess harper got his majority... let's see how long it takes him to screw it up prove he deserves it eh?

Also, them crazy NDP huh?
d-gun

Post by d-gun »

drat. here come more fighter jets and super jails. Im sure he'll use this to bring up the abortion issue again as well.

a dark day for lots of canadians.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”