Firefox 4 Has Landed

Firefox 4 Has Landed

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Firefox 4 Has Landed

Post by SinbadEV »

After spending a few minutes making it look like I had Firefox 3 looking (do not like the "had all the menus in a button at the top" thing... and also like to know what the title of the web-page I'm on is...) but now that that's out of the way it looks like all is well... already crashed it once by toggling the "tabs on top" setting on and off while having the menu displayed... but otherwise looks good (aka just like FF3)
Pxtl

Re: Firefox 4 Has Landed

Post by Pxtl »

Dude, why? Tabs On Top is way better. Now I get to have the good UI of Chrome combined with the extensibility of Firefox.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Why support chrome?
a commercial company product instead of the free open source firefox?
Ill have Firefox any day not to mention it has no real disadvantages.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Gota wrote:Why support chrome?
That's what I mean. The new Firefox has Chrome's better layout (tabs on top and no wasteful titlebar) but it's still Firefox. Best of both worlds. I'm confused why Sinbad would revert to the FF3 layout.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Chrome all the way <3
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Pxtl wrote:
Gota wrote:Why support chrome?
That's what I mean. The new Firefox has Chrome's better layout (tabs on top and no wasteful titlebar) but it's still Firefox. Best of both worlds. I'm confused why Sinbad would revert to the FF3 layout.
The title bar is not wasteful!!! I use it to know what the name of the web page I'm on is.
My Way:

Their Way:
Attachments
WTFTOPIC.PNG
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
WithTitle.PNG
(18.67 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

SinbadEV wrote: The title bar is not wasteful!!! I use it to know what the name of the web page I'm on is.
Hover over the tabs?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Jazcash wrote:
SinbadEV wrote: The title bar is not wasteful!!! I use it to know what the name of the web page I'm on is.
Hover over the tabs?
that takes like 0.5 more seconds than just using my eyes to look... and with my 1200 pixels of vertical resolution I can afford the space to save myself those few seconds a day.

I also have my task bar set to two rows so I can have 12 windows open before it starts combining them...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

I use both Firefox and Chrome.

Currently prefer Chrome.

Firefox does have its disadvantages mainly being very bloaty.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

ff4 layout is vastly superior

I recommend getting the addons, status 4 evar and barlesque. They help ease the transition from full status bar to no statusbar in a very nice and attractive way (btoh together are an extremely popular combination)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Otherside wrote:I use both Firefox and Chrome.

Currently prefer Chrome.

Firefox does have its disadvantages mainly being very bloaty.
I'm only using firefox still specifically because of my ability to easily arrange the toolbars and menus to my liking and the availability of a greater number of extensions.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Good websites don't bother to put their name as the first element in their title entry. It should be

Page - Section - Website

Not Website * Page. After all, the Favicon puts the site's identifier right at the start. Look in your taskbar, all the good apps put the most specific information first for this reason. Even Firefox itself - right now I see in my status bar

"The Spring Project * Post a Reply - Mozilla ..."

Where ... is short for Mozilla Firefox Beta 12 or something like that. I don't need to know that, because I know I'm looking at Firefox because I have the icon. Other apps do the same thing - Outlook doesn't put its own name first, it puts the folder I'm looking at first. Even stupid crap like Adobe Reader get it right. "Document Name - Adobe Reader"

phpBB does it wrong.
Regret

Post by Regret »

I'm still on firefox 2.0.0.20. :regret:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Pxtl is correct. I actually jsut went to my sites to double check it. I mean that is something that gets copy pasta'd but it's also something I never pay attention to. Anyway, yeah, my sites are doin' it rite. And as I said, pxtl is 100% correct.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Looks like Opera, which I use.

Lolz, I am ahead of the game.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Is it multi-threaded now? That was the main reason I was using Chrome over Firefox.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

SwiftSpear wrote:Is it multi-threaded now? That was the main reason I was using Chrome over Firefox.
There seems to be big plans for this in the future... the code-name for the initiative is https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

SO far, apparently they have only gotten as far as "out of process plugins" which I assume means that "Firefox" runs in a thread and plugins run in a thread... also, apparently FF Mobil 4 also had tabs in threads...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Chrome has had the process per page model for quite a while with all the sandboxing etc, firefox is late to the party.

Firefox vs Chrome kind of lost all track once Chrome extensions exploded. There're so many chrome extensions that just have no equivilant on firefox now.

That and Chromes built in inspector is far better than firebug, and getting better faster. Epic humonguous developer momentum ftw
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

AF wrote:Chrome has had the process per page model for quite a while with all the sandboxing etc, firefox is late to the party.

Firefox vs Chrome kind of lost all track once Chrome extensions exploded. There're so many chrome extensions that just have no equivilant on firefox now.

That and Chromes built in inspector is far better than firebug, and getting better faster. Epic humonguous developer momentum ftw

there's a new "Web Console" button in my tools menu that looks a lot like a native implementation of firebug... I've played with Chrome's equivalent and, from a low-end web development perspective (aka having to figure out what css needs to be tweaked on an existing template to fit the content I am adding) I've found firebug's interface far superior... but perhaps I'm just using Chrome's wrong.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@AF

For debugging Javascript code, Firebug is without peer.

Also, it's worth remembering that Firefox's extension API is far, far more powerful than Chrome's. This is both a blessing and a curse - Firefox extensions are better at hosing Firefox and becoming resource beasts, but they have much greater access to the browser's functions.

Chrome's extensions are basically Greasemonkey scripts. You can do a lot with that, too, but it's not the same.

For example, ad blockers on FF can prevent you from downloading the ads in the first place, while Chrome can only hide them. There is no Referral spoofing extension for Chrome that I know of. Stuff like that.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”