Duty Calls - The new first person shooter - Page 2

Duty Calls - The new first person shooter

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: Duty Calls - The new first person shooter

Post by SwiftSpear »

Bullet storm doesn't look that interesting from the preview. It doesn't look TERRIBLE, but the mechanics I don't feel make the game. The maps are boring looking gears of war style stuff.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

A friend and I played the demo, which allows you to play through one "Echo" challenge mission. The "Skillshot" system is pretty awful - many of the most interesting kills I made gave me the bare minimum of ten points, while mostly scripted interaction with the environment gave me upwards of a thousand. Despite boasts otherwise, the challenge mission boils down to a scripted single-route run with copious amounts of cover. The minigun you can pick up is a perfect demonstration of unintuitive design - in addition to overheating on sustained use, slowing your movement during use and requiring frequent reload, the minigun has some sort of charge system which decays over time. Fifteen to twenty seconds after you've picked it up, the game forces you to drop it regardless of use.

I'd rather play Serious Sam 3 and Duke Nukem Forever to get my silly out.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

KDR_11k wrote:The most defining moment about the whole movie/game discrimination is how the scene in The Last Crusade where Hitler signs Indy's book has the swastikas blacked out in the videogame but visible in the movie.
There's no real discrimination. The simple fact is that movies are considered "art" and thus they are allowed to show a swastika and so on as long as they're not about propaganda. Games however officially are no art in Germany (not that I would understand why that is so) and thus aren't allowed to show those signs...
Machete234 wrote:Or the original version of c&c was forbidden.
The cries of the soldiers had to be removed and the blood hat to be colored black because its motor oil and they are robots.
What's even better: If I recall it right e.g. the censored C&C 3 version was USK16 while Starcraft was USK12 and had marines explode into a thousand pieces leaving a giant blood pool. Back in those days I really was wondering if Blizzard did pay someone off or something. Seriously - replacing blood with oil and doing new death soundeffects and everything while still being USK16 where in contrast you get a death animation where like the head flies off and the body explodes in a giant blood cloud is fine for 12 year olds?
knorke

Post by knorke »

Yes the Tiberian Sun/Broodwar thing is strange indeed.
Similiar case:
KKND Krossfire has gore/blood similiar to Starcraft, it is USK 12 too.
Fallen Haven looks harmless in comparison and is USK16.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

was just reading thru the page of banned games on wikipedia

Pokemon trading cards: Banned in Saudi Arabia because of "promoting Zionism and gambling."

also wtf, venezuela has banned all games where the objective is to shoot people o.O thats like every goddamn game, except for pokeymans, which encourage zionism and gambling

edit: from a different page.... In October 2010, 22-year old Florida mother Alexandra Tobias killed her baby because he would not stop crying while she was playing FarmVille.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Master-Athmos wrote:There's no real discrimination. The simple fact is that movies are considered "art" and thus they are allowed to show a swastika and so on as long as they're not about propaganda. Games however officially are no art in Germany (not that I would understand why that is so) and thus aren't allowed to show those signs...
That is discrimination.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”