comp sci syllabus

comp sci syllabus

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

d-gun

comp sci syllabus

Post by d-gun »

i am intending to complete some self study in CompSci, are there any glaring omissions from the following syllabus?

http://www.austincc.edu/cit/NSF%20Maste ... yllabi.htm

The textbook recommendations are somewhat out of date but I can probably find current versions
SinbadEV

Re: comp sci syllabus

Post by SinbadEV »

the "User / Desktop Support" section makes me LOL... I got a job in that field with 3 weeks of paid training... I flunked out of my CS degree and fell back on user/desktop support... I guess they expect a certain % of you to fail and wanted to provide a contingency... protip: the secret to making top dollar in canada in tech support is to learn french?

That was a mostly me joking BTW... as I mentioned I flunked out of CS so my opinion on your courses is suspect at best.
M1ll3

Post by M1ll3 »

Hello,

First time I post in this forum so hi to all :P

I am doing a comp science course right now (3 years bachelors) so just wanted to add a few things...

Your missing a lot of the 'theory' which u may or may not be interested in.. such as algorithms, theory of computation etc... which may help in things like complexity and more (there are really a lot of subjects in this field).

On the more tangible side you are missing subjects such as: computer graphics, computer vision, AI (including agent programming), compilers and a few more which I do not remember right now.

Also strictly regarding programming you don't seem to include any of the more academic languages/styles such as functional etc.. See Lisp, Haskel, ASP (answer set programming) etc.

Oh you are also missing subjects such as parallel computing (parallel algos, locks threads etc) using MPI, pthreads or watever, safety critical systems programming and HCI (human computer interaction).

This is just taken from my course and the optional modules I have chosen and I know I am missing a few that I have already forgotten! There is so much in comp science that it is impossible to do all, but I hope I gave you a few more options!!!!

Also sorry for the many 'etc.' :P
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I just noticed they forgot Calculus, Algebra, Geometry, Discrete/Finite and basically all of the Maths... is this normal for a CompSci degree? (My school I spent the first year of CS taking 1 computer course and all the rest of my credits were full of math and "liberal arts requirements"...)
d-gun

Post by d-gun »

this syllabus is for a 2yr Associates degree and does not include any upper-year courses in things like compilers, graphics, etc. or any advanced theory.

ive already taken calculus, physics, and the other sciency courses. I intend to take linear algebra (for graphics), discrete math, finite math, and logic.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”