CRTC does something that will piss Caydr off. - Page 2

CRTC does something that will piss Caydr off.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Peet
Malcontent

Re: CRTC does something that will piss Caydr off.

Post by Peet »

Forboding Angel wrote:I am glad I don't live in Canada. Your politics and party makeups boggle my mind at the non-sensicalness of it all. Of your 3 major parties, all 3 seems to be kinda looney bin material, as though you have ultra hard right, ultra hard left and nothing in between that makes any certifiable sense. Ungh, screw that :-(
This is absolutely hilarious coming from an american. I think we can settle on agreeing that both of our governments are terrible.

edit: except the "terrible" in our case is "the government is doing some things I don't agree with but overall things are mostly ok"
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

the rent is too damn high!
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Listen.

Someone's stomach-- A little child's stomach just growled.

Did you hear it?

You gotta listen like me.
smoth

Post by smoth »

that guy has a testicle goate
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That man looks all kinds of awesome.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Forboding Angel wrote:I am glad I don't live in Canada. Your politics and party makeups boggle my mind at the non-sensicalness of it all. Of your 3 major parties, all 3 seems to be kinda looney bin material, as though you have ultra hard right, ultra hard left and nothing in between that makes any certifiable sense. Ungh, screw that :-(
Nah, from what I've seen of your posts, you'd like the Conservatives. You're a center-right voter, aren't you? They're not ultra-hard-right, they're just way too far right for most Canadians, and so their leader rules them with an iron fist to keep the crazy ones silent.

Our situation with the Cons is similar to the American one in that the Republicans are divided between the Jesus-and-guns types and the old tax-cutting corporate men... they used to be two separate parties - the Reform (religion and guns) and the Progressive Conservatives (businessmen). Then Prime Minister Mulroney (of the PC) screwed the country so bad that nobody respected the PC party after that, and so the Reform took the spotlight on the right, much to the disgust of most of Canada. Seeing the writing on the wall, the remaining PC and the Reformers merged parties as the Conservative party. They put a stuffy Toronto economist named Stephen Harper up front to make themselves to Ontarians, and he runs a *very* tight ship within his party. Despite their origins (most of the party comes from the Reform side of the family and started out as angry right-wing grassroots agitators) they stay on message very well and avoid saying anything that will push them out of Canada's favour. Basically, where the Republicans celebrate the Jesus-and-guns side of the party, the Conservatives keep it under wraps.

So they survive as Canada's minority party (plurality in government, but not a majority). The Prime Minister is just the leader of the party with the most seats in the House - there is no seperate election for the position... this is actually an unwritten rule because of our gradual entrance into democracy, so there are questions about whether a coalition is a legal alternative. But I digress. A minority government means that the opposition can band together and force an election when they want to have another crack at governing... but Canadians don't *want* an election because nothing much changed last time we went to the polls, and the Liberals damned well know that Canadians don't have any more reason to vote for them this time than they did the last two times.

So the Cons actually can run like they've got a majority, since the Liberals don't want to look wimpy by opposing them *without* calling an election.

So this uneasy state of affairs has gone on since 2006, a new record for minority government in Canada.

The problem in this case is that, of course, they're being all laissez-faire supporting the big business and so they have no interest in stopping UBB.

Oh, and the Quebecers have their own party that doesn't even run in other provinces. The Bloc Quebecois gets near-unanimous representation from the Quebec ridings every election.

So we have a 4th major party, but the Bloc can never get enough seats to rule (obviously) but has massive power in government.

The math creates an ugly reality here: having a regional power-base is better than broad support. The Greens approach 7% of the popular vote but never get a seat. The NDP gets *double* the popular support of the Bloc, but substantially *less* seats. The same problems would occur in the USA if you had more parties.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

And people were mocking ME for getting trolled... nice, Forboding.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Peet wrote:
This is absolutely hilarious coming from an american. I think we can settle on agreeing that both of our governments are terrible.

edit: except the "terrible" in our case is "the government is doing some things I don't agree with but overall things are mostly ok"
I thought I was just being silly but then I read this
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

On Topic : canada-gets-first-bitter-dose-of-metered-internet-billing

Good Quote:
"Wired ISPs have large fixed costs of building and maintaining their last mile network of residential cable and fiber. The ISPs' costs, however, to deliver a marginal gigabyte, which is about an hour of viewing, from one of our regional interchange points over their last mile wired network to the consumer is less than a penny, and falling, so there is no reason that pay-per-gigabyte is economically necessary. Moreover, at $1 per gigabyte over wired networks, it would be grossly overpriced."
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Image ( I got this from https://twitter.com/wilw )
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

SinbadEV wrote:ssd
Poor chaps, well at least you still have internet! Unlike the egyptians atm
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Sabutai wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:ssd
Poor chaps, well at least you still have internet! Unlike the egyptians atm
Yeah... I can't imagine living in a country where my government thinks it's okay to cut off my internet because people are using it to make fun of them.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I got only one question to canadians.
you guys don't like animals?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i wrote a letter to my MP :P maybe i'll go to the crtc offices later this week with a sign

edit: http://openmedia.ca/

the more i think about this, the angrier i get. personal feelings aside, it really squashes a lot of opportunities for entrepreneurship. a needless restriction that helps the same telecom companies that pissed our money away early in the century after failing to construct an end-to-end internet backbone for our country

i bet you they even have unlimited internet in egypt :/

double edit: we wuvvvv our animals :3
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

What will we have to do to make it clear that nobody, *anywhere*, will tolerate these kinds of limits on their internet access?
Our congressmen in the US, as well as you Canadians' MPs are supposed to represent the views of the people. what makes them think that sane people anywhere would support this kind of legislation?
Here in the US, we've had to do petitions every time they've brought up a vote like this, and the legislature still hasn't gotten the message.
lurker

Post by lurker »

What do you want the law to say, mk, "Don't charge too much."? There's nothing inherently wrong with charging by the gigabyte. The problem is monopolistic price gouging.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Peet wrote:

The US has it's issues, but comparatively, the Canadian government is a mental institution.
Pxtl wrote:
Nah, from what I've seen of your posts, you'd like the Conservatives. You're a center-right voter, aren't you? They're not ultra-hard-right, they're just way too far right for most Canadians, and so their leader rules them with an iron fist to keep the crazy ones silent.
Heh, no. Conservatives in the US share little in common with conservatives in any other country. Both conservatives and liberals in canada are just plain nutjobs. Every time one other the parties up there does something that makes news here, it's a massive O_o moment.

Also, last time I checked, I'm not living under a government who is trying to bring 3rd world status by metering the internet.

The US government needs a reboot, there is no secret about that, but the Canadian government needs it worse than we do.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

lurker wrote:What do you want the law to say, mk, "Don't charge too much."? There's nothing inherently wrong with charging by the gigabyte. The problem is monopolistic price gouging.
Personally I want them to reduce the "mark-up" that's being implemented... if the marginal cost (for them) of one more GB is 3-10 cents, they should not be able to charge the people leasing the lines more then that 3-10 cents extra... in addition to this, up until now the price they have been charging the lessees has been assumed to include a rational amount of bandwidth, so they should be required to charge at least that much less for each subscriber line.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

*realizes perhaps Forboding wasn't joking, sticks fork in eye*

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”