I came! - Page 3

I came!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

pintle

Re: I came!

Post by pintle »

I think depth in any FPS is pretty rare. I can think of a handful of FPS games I have ever played that had anything remotely approaching decent plot and/or dialogue.

The modern FPS clone army are undoubtedly of a higher production standard (and probably more playable) than the blasts from the past that we remember; but they are still FPS games. You still stalk corridors pointing the crosshairs at people's faces and clicking. The game has not changed in however many years since we gained the ability to mouselook (rise of the triad right?).

It feels stale. The games are all "TAKE ME SRS!!!111" production line sepia tinted clones, with very few distinguishing features, and that is why I resent them: Commercially led, conservative game design, which is squarley aimed at the lowest common denominator.

At least Duke knows its a game and acts like it.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

I found all call of duty SP scenes since CoD 1 extremely boring. Taking cover behind whatever happens to be near and taking potshots at enemies also behind cover. It would be fine if the fuckers didn't respawn every time you turn your head. There is no indicator wheather they will ever cease coming, and in many scenes they don't unless stand in some magic spot, which makes the enemies stop respawning and your allies to move forward. I'm not saying DNF will be good, but if it deviates from that CoD bullshit, it has a chance. ~~
pintle wrote:It feels stale. The games are all "TAKE ME SRS!!!111" production line sepia tinted clones, with very few distinguishing features, and that is why I resent them: Commercially led, conservative game design, which is squarley aimed at the lowest common denominator.
Amen.
smoth

Post by smoth »

That is why serious sam was so much fun. it didn't take it's self seriously, it was a blast simple and stupid. However the common argument about halo or cod is they are too simple. I think they are not simple stupid or even really rehashes. They are evolutions of a proven model. Games like dnf, serious sam 1/2 and painkiller go the other way. Lets just have fun with it.

There are 3 camps of fps gamer:
MUST BE REALS: cod
ALL ABOUT MAH SKILZ: halo, tribes, gears, unreal
IMMA SHOOT A bITCH: DNF, serious sam

aka
realism
arcade
violencestravenganza
Gota

Post by Gota »

Im 1 and 3 in FPS,cant stand tribes or unreal..
by the way are you sure you can add gears of war into the ALL ABOUT MY SKILLZ category?or is that what they call a skill oriented game on the consoles?
I like CoD campaigns not cause i love the plot but cause its non stop fun action without any hassle.
I think the upcoming bulletstorm and Duke are in the same fps category but i think bulletstorm is gonna have better gameplay.
In general I cant imagine what needs to be done to a game so it can live up to more than a decade of hype and nostalgia piling up, even blizzard couldn't do it.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mjky2QE9DA
more realistic and PC (not the computer kind)!
Iz3

Post by Iz3 »

Boring
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

Did I point out that all that can save this game is hectoliters of blood and insane violence + a duke that doesnt look 90's gay but who aged and became a drug addict.
"You collected cocaine now you can run faster"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lolol, feminists finally played duke nukem. dunno whats the problem, everyone treats women equally. they should stop whining and get back to the -------
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Good to be fan of one of the selected view shooters who advanced story telling (and the bugged out of its budgetary needs)

I always wondered, if you wrote a SentryAimingbot for Cod (One who would autoheal) - would the respammed units ever stop, if yes, after how many thousand soldiers?

The Truth is that real Plot is very, very expensive, demanding new scenery, excessive facial animation of the acting characters, extremely well doing voice actors, and last but not least a quality standard, that can blow a team appart (kick that level, kick that weapon, away with this, gone be that).

You cant recent Gabe for going into the Portal direction. It had nil the costs of hl2 episodes, worked with prefabs, made thousands of shareholders happy and even the hardcoregamerz cheered to it. Why do City17 and risk a lot, if you can tinker with Portalz and a dark humored plot?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”