Psychology of mass violence/sadism and mass irrationality. - Page 4

Psychology of mass violence/sadism and mass irrationality.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

MidKnight

Re: Psychology of mass violence/sadism and mass irrationality.

Post by MidKnight »

I think that there will eventually be a day where there is no more human violence.
How?
Just look at ourselves!

"Man, Gota is so annoying! I just want to strangle him!"
"Ah screw it, I'm gonna go play some more 8v8 BA DSD."

:P
dizekat

Post by dizekat »

MidKnight wrote:I think that there will eventually be a day where there is no more human violence.
How?
Just look at ourselves!

"Man, Gota is so annoying! I just want to strangle him!"

but what if by that day we'll have sentient AIs that will be suffering immensely as characters in the games?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

dizekat wrote: well there's also that counter-evolutionary violence, that's what is most interesting... the kind of violence that other animals don't usually have except for very stupid animals like insects.
you speak of evolution like it is an intelligent design...
dizekat

Post by dizekat »

bobthedinosaur wrote:
dizekat wrote: well there's also that counter-evolutionary violence, that's what is most interesting... the kind of violence that other animals don't usually have except for very stupid animals like insects.
you speak of evolution like it is an intelligent design...
well, i don't... the intelligent design would be perfect, the evolution however is not but in any place where it is much imperfect (retina being backwards) it is quite interesting question as of why retina is backwards.
In that case, did maybe humans de-evolve and lose some things since appearance of society, the way we lost hair on most of the body? Is it a good change, or is it a bad change which will eventually lead to failure of human ability to cooperate?
Last edited by dizekat on 15 Jan 2011, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

MidKnight wrote: "Man, Gota is so annoying! I just want to strangle him!"

What what what?
Regret

Post by Regret »

dizekat wrote:the intelligent design would be perfect, the evolution however is not but in any place where it is much imperfect (retina being backwards) it is quite interesting question as of why retina is backwards.
In that case, did maybe humans de-evolve and lose some things since appearance of society, the way we lost hair on most of the body? Is it a good change, or is it a bad change which will eventually lead to failure of human ability to cooperate?
I think evolution is more about adapting than "improving".

For something to be perfect, it must fully fulfill certain criteria. Those criteria are made by humans. Perfection in itself is non-existent without a human observer.

Improvement assumes that status A is worse than status B. Perfection is achieved when there is no superior status for certain criteria available. Which is, as mentioned before, only existing when there is a human observer.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Perfection does not exist if there is a human observer...I don't see how a human observer effects something being perfect or inperfect aside from the natural effect of an observer on the object observed.
Endless different perfections exist whether we observe them or not.
Is there perfection without you existing?If you cannot evaluate something or observe it does it mean it does not exist?
Who says there is a requirement for something to formally evaluate something for there to be perfection?

You can say that all that exists is perfect since there is nothing more that exists to be better.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:I don't see how a human observer effects something being perfect or inperfect aside from the natural effect of an observer on the object observed.
My point was that perfection is a human abstract that does not exist in reality.
Gota wrote:Endless different perfections exist whether we observe them or not.
Is there perfection without you existing?
Give examples of perfections that are not defined by humans. If you do find such example, then define why you think it is perfect. Suddenly the example is human defined and invalid.
Gota wrote:If you cannot evaluate something or observe it does it mean it does not exist?
No. It means you don't know whether it exists or not. You can only believe in it.
Gota wrote:Who says there is a requirement for something to formally evaluate something for there to be perfection?

You can say that all that exists is perfect since there is nothing more that exists to be better.
If there is no requirement for assigning the descriptor that is perfection, then indeed everything can be labeled as such.
Gota

Post by Gota »

So you think that there is no reality outside of our perception?
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:So you think that there is no reality outside of our perception?
I think that reality is what remains after you stop perceiving it. Which of course is impossible to determine as far as I know.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Seems that you make some strange distinction between everything and everything when humans are supposedly there....
Perception is just molecules interacting.
Everything is constantly having all sorts of reactions, you when you go outside on a sunny day and pluto when the sun shines on it...

We percieve only a certain "spectrum" of reality so why does it mean things don't exist without our half assed attempt at perceiving it?

I think what you really mean is that things don't necessarily exist if YOU are not there to perceive and think about them.
If you are not aware of all the astronomical information we have gathered, and you are obviously not, does it mean it does not exist?
You have no idea what humanity has perceived already or is perceiving all the time so does it mean that all that does not exist?
You are also not aware of all the information reacting with all the endless objects in existence does it mean they do not exist?

I think it all steams from the fact that somewhere inside you are still unsure if the reality around you exist or if its just all your senses playing tricks on you..

EDITED
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:Seems that you make some strange distinction between everything and everything when humans are supposedly there....
I only used humans in the perfection/improvement argument as observers. I didn't claim that things suddenly change when there is no observer.
Gota wrote:Perception is just molecules interacting.
Everything is constantly having all sorts of reactions, you when you go outside on a sunny day and pluto when the sun shines on it...
Ok.
Gota wrote:I think what you really mean is that things don't necessarily exist if YOU are not there to perceive and think about them.
Yes. You interpreted what I said correctly.
Gota wrote:I think it all steams from the fact that somewhere inside you are still unsure if the reality around you exist or if its just all your senses playing tricks on you..
No. From your post I feel like you are beginning to target your words against me as a person rather than my arguments. Try to refrain from doing that? Degrades quality of discussion.
Gota wrote:We percieve only a certain "spectrum" of reality so why does it mean things don't exist without our half assed attempt at perceiving it?
Gota wrote:If you are not aware of all the astronomical information we have gathered, and you are obviously not, does it mean it does not exist?
You have no idea what humanity has perceived already or is perceiving all the time so does it mean that all that does not exist?
You are also not aware of all the information reacting with all the endless objects in existence does it mean they do not exist?
Regret wrote:No. It means you don't know whether it exists or not. You can only believe in it.
Gota

Post by Gota »

So tell me before we had telescopes the further away planets of our solar system didnt exist?I mean we didnt see them or "perecieve them"...
Gota

Post by Gota »

Regret wrote:
Regret wrote:No. It means you don't know whether it exists or not. You can only believe in it.
Its like saying i only believe in evolution cause i cant see all the evolutonary processees happening al lthe time...
The assumption other humans percieve things has never been refuted but always supported.

It seems to me it all boils down to a disbeliefe in reality on your part..
Ocum's razor is on my side of the argument imo...
If all points to us having a real live universe around us than thats probably true and not that only you exist and its all a big joke someone is playing on you.

The definition of perfection is indeed ours but we are not seperated from the universe, we base all our understanding on what we recieve through our senses, we are in fact using language to describe what is around us...
Perfection exist if we are here or not, we were just lucky to be here to understand what it means...
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:So tell me before we had telescopes the further away planets of our solar system didnt exist?I mean we didnt see them or "perecieve them"...
No I have not claimed that. What I claimed and repeated to you already is that unless you can observe something you cannot know whether it exists or not. You can only believe it exists or not. People believed earth was the center of universe.
Gota wrote:Its like saying i only believe in evolution cause i cant see all the evolutonary processees happening al lthe time...
From a strictly philosophical point of view, yes.
Gota wrote:The assumption other humans percieve things has never been refuted but always supported.
I have not claimed otherwise.
Gota wrote:It seems to me it all boils down to a disbeliefe in reality on your part..
Ocum's razor is on my side of the argument imo...
If all points to us having a real live universe around us than thats probably true and not that only you exist and its all a big joke someone is playing on you.
Are you unable to argue without attacking the person talking to you? I have never said anything about "universe playing me". Stop assuming I think so.
Gota wrote:The definition of perfection is indeed ours but we are not seperated from the universe, we base all our understanding on what we recieve through our senses, we are in fact using language to describe what is around us...
Perfection exist if we are here or not, we were just lucky to be here to understand what it means...
Then give me an example of perfection and why it is perfect. The reasons you will list that make it perfect will be criteria you or someone else made. These criteria are defined by observers. We define perfection. Not our surroundings.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Regret wrote:
Gota wrote:So tell me before we had telescopes the further away planets of our solar system didnt exist?I mean we didnt see them or "perecieve them"...
No I have not claimed that. What I claimed and repeated to you already is that unless you can observe something you cannot know whether it exists or not. You can only believe it exists or not. People believed earth was the center of universe.
Gota wrote:Its like saying i only believe in evolution cause i cant see all the evolutonary processees happening al lthe time...
From a strictly philosophical point of view, yes.
So this basicly means you doubt the nature of scientific research...
If you doubt it what could than be an alternative to it?
A complete underminning of reality as we percive it?
i.e we are being fooled by our senses and what we see and recive from the outside world is ocmpletely bogus?
Right?
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:So this basicly means you doubt the nature of scientific research...
No I don't doubt it and it's not what it means. Since rest of your questions assume positive answer to first question(?), there is no need to answer.

What it does mean is that I can at most believe in/trust it.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Gota wrote:
MidKnight wrote: "Man, Gota is so annoying! I just want to strangle him!"

What what what?
Just the first person I thought of. :regret:
Panda

Post by Panda »

:lol: :P If the stars are ornaments in the sky are black holes trolls?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

If you buy this you wont have so many incomplete pages:
http://books.google.com/books?id=YctWRS ... &q&f=false

Libraries work too

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”