MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post by smoth »

FUCK YEAH!

-that is all!
Attachments
1292867920504.png
1292867920504.png (129.36 KiB) Viewed 10409 times
Gota

Re: MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post by Gota »

what are the new features?worth buying?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not for you, never for you.
Attachments
1289610374715.png
1289610374715.png (58.1 KiB) Viewed 10412 times
Gota

Post by Gota »

Well i remember trying it about 5 motnhs ago and than a monh or 2 ago again..couldn't take it for long.
Is the survival mod more substantial now?or do you still spend hours just planting flowers for no purpose and playing legos?
smoth

Post by smoth »

For the rest of us sure, for you, never
Attachments
1289611520371.png
(271.05 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

I wonder did these minecraft lovers actually play with real legos / with real sandbox when they were kids? I think thats why they play it now... kinda need to get over that phase of childhood or something.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The people who think of Minecraft as a virtual creation sandbox have no idea what it means to hear SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

jealousy ... :D
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

KDR_11k wrote:The people who think of Minecraft as a virtual creation sandbox have no idea what it means to hear SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
So, you play it to feel afraid of monsters in the dark?

Someone please explain me whats so good in that game... So far all videos ive seen is about building stuff.
Regret

Post by Regret »

TradeMark wrote:Someone please explain me whats so good in that game... So far all videos ive seen is about building stuff.
Basically dumbed down version of Cube engine editor made into an RPG with some more world interaction possibilities.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Could you just list from 1 to 10 the best things in Minecraft?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

1) "847231 people bought the game"
2) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
3) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
4) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
5) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
6) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
7) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
8) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
9) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
10) 847231*10 = 8 472 310$
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

lol i was just thinking the same... "lol u jelly why dont u play minecraft r u jelly, go play it buy it now jelly boi." - "but it..." - "buy it! everyone else bought it too jelly boi." - "but it sucks :(" - "no u sux ur just jelly!"
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

trademark, you're not far off the target

minecraft gives me the same sort of feeling i remember as a kid, going off to the woods to go fishing or build a fort... you're never sure whats on the other side of the next hill, or whats on that spooky island you can just see through the mist across the river

theres a certain atmosphere that just doesn't come across when you watch a video, because a lot of the videos are of "ekekeke look at my minecar track" when really it's an endgame scenario... the true joys of minecraft are going into the hidden caverns under the earth and finding the materials to make such a track (or a big pyramid or whatever else you might feel useful to make)

my complaints last time i played minecraft were that there werent enough unique items, and that the multiplayer didn't have proper damage

the multiplayer is the important bit, i've always wanted to build a tree fort with the likes of smoth and wombat, or hit them with a pickaxe and send them tumbling to their doom in a pit of lava.

also it gives you a warm fuzzy autistic feeling

edit: stop telling people about creepers who haven't played :D that's the best bit, someones first reaction to their evil ways
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

you can pvp in multiplayer.. the server I play on with friends pretty much boils down to stomping people then hiding all the valuables in secret clown houses... then people logging in at 4am and searching for the secret houses to loot them and fill them with lava. the surface is pockmarked with the remains of an insane war with lava, craters, water and stray pillars marking the remains of what were once beautiful cities...
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Ya, basically, explore procedural content, go/do wherever/whatever you want, build amazing things, show your friends (assuming, after playing minecraft, you have social interactions any more) :P

The big thing for me, is that it's a game that for whatever reason makes procedural content fun. You legitimately get a little bit of a sense of awe when you see a sprawling mountain range or a massive cave system. You legitimately get moderately terrified when you are unexpectedly attacked. You legitimately feel a sense of accomplishment when you build something cool. For a game with no real plot it really sticks in your conscious. It's one of the great successes of procedural gaming.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ever drink because you like to? or do you need people around so you can feel the activity has purpose. if you are the later do not play minecraft, go play wow.

If you need a game with clearly defined goals and an end game. Final fantasy.

if you want to play level edit. Saurbraten

Minecraft's appeal is that you show up in a place with NO goal and NO direction. It is entirely your own to choose. Some like to wander the landscape looking for cool areas. Others like to mine and collect the rare diamonds. ME? I like to build a small home stocked with food and weapons then hunt creepers at night.

Survival can be tough, from random cave-ins(don't dig under sand flats), drowing, falling, being eaten by zombies or blown up by creepers. Think that isn't too hard? fine, go live in hell, oh and be sure to slap a pigman.

There are tons of videos and pics of the "lego" shit, it is because the free server is just building and no actual combat. [snip]

Yan, this game will never be to your taste, I suggest stalker or fallout.
Attachments
MinecraftCreeper.png
MinecraftCreeper.png (36.07 KiB) Viewed 10253 times
Gota

Post by Gota »

smoth wrote:stuff
Probably not.
I think DF is way way better(i compare the too cause i tihnkin many ways they are similair..
Even though DF is completely random and open ended(no actual ending),there is some sort of gameplay...some depth...
You make stuff for a reason.
You can build things in whatever way you want as well but there is some progression,there is a point to making a farm, a point to mining and looking for expensive stuff and tending to your dwarfs.
The fortress changes grows dwarfs level up...

In this you go gather stuff for absolutely no purpose or point.There is little gameplay except random level generation.
I really do get why people buy it and i get why people like many other games i dislike but I still need more from it tostart playing it.

Also,I did like stalker(hated fallout 3 and vegas) but it was way too buggy and of course in all rpgs there isn't enough randomness,its too scripted.
There aren't many game mechanics, just a lot of scripted events that occur at a certain point after you complete some quest or arrive at a location.There is no "living world".
Last edited by Gota on 21 Dec 2010, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Try the second Stalker, Cleark Sky, where ALife has been loosened enough to have the potential to ruin your game (NPC wiping NPC bases ...)
Gota

Post by Gota »

The A life is nice but everything else is sort of shitty.
Needs more survival,needs,in general more people needs more mechanics that the player would need to learn as he plays the game.
An example of such a thing would be "where to shoot to kill a certain creature" or a mechanic for reloading weapons or/and all sorts of other mechanics and game information you need to acquire to play better and better.

The problem is the entire structure of the game.
The game is meant to be finished and it is meant ot have a plot line.
You must always begin the game at a certain place,the map is always identical you always have some sort of defined goal and the characters dont really do anything except stand in the same place the entire game,there is no living economy,creatures just roam at a certain spot for ever etc etc etc...
The world is dead and dumb.
I want an RPG that plays like a game of civilization.
You generate or customize a world and start at a random or chosen location(with ranomd stats) and your goal is very generic and is in essence limitless,in Stalkers case, it could be "get as rich as possible"(that's the point of being a stalker)from collecting artifacts.
You'd could have many mini missions that are localized and are generic enough to fit a generated random world.
for example you could have an assassination mission and the person you need to assassinate could be anyone and of course your not really sure what roles he plays or where he is in the world etc etc..
You could alos have scripted localized quests that if are added to your generated world have predefined scripted stuff.
With proper infrastructure for game mechanics you can keep improving existing ones and creating new more complex ones to make the world richer and richer and sophisticated even though each game is randomized.

And rpg game that is meant to be played many many times instead of an rpg meant to be played once finished and thrown away.
I liked the first stalker cause it was so buggy and random that weird different stuff could happen every time you played but it was still very shallow.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”