MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA! - Page 5

MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Re: MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post by Gota »

Funny thing is that the video actually show why this game sux...all that you built serves absolutely no prupose.
This entire castle with lights and crap....a simple small cave with a torch would give the exact same result.

It's still mostly a cosmeic game of lego fans.
When the game is constructed in such away that you need ot make elaborate constructions to surive and everything you make serves some purpose ...than were talking!

And the water physics(lack of) just looks rediculeous...though its a minor issue as far as game enjoyment goes.

There is also a serious lack of cool stuff you can loot.
In general its super basic ATM.

I didnt know the portal thingy...What is it made of?i searched and i dont recognize the blocks, also can i somehow mine the purple blocks created when lava is extnguished?I tried wth a diamond pickaxe and failed.
Last edited by Gota on 27 Dec 2010, 15:40, edited 3 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Regret wrote:"...doesn't have physics... It's sort of like garry's mod..."
go dig under some sand.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Caydr wrote:Made a video for people curious about Minecraft, and to show Regret some of the things that might make it worth buying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fThuq2Pz14
Your lack of diamond is disturbing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Bought Minecraft yesterday, it's so cool, but me and Sheep wanna find a decent private server to go multiplayer on, we can't find a decent emptyish one though. Somebody should really setup a Spring Minecraft server, I'll love you if you set it up.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

oh shi
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I'd set one up but I turn my computer off at night lately.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Running the minecraft server is kind of a pain because it has a tendency to lock up, eating two cores' worth of cpu power and memory approaching the maximum java heap size (1GB by default), while nobody is using it...managing the one used by my friends and I is annoying enough, otherwise I'd throw a second one up on the server I administrate at uni.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Peet wrote:Running the minecraft server is kind of a pain because it has a tendency to lock up, eating two cores' worth of cpu power and memory approaching the maximum java heap size (1GB by default), while nobody is using it...managing the one used by my friends and I is annoying enough, otherwise I'd throw a second one up on the server I administrate at uni.
Do it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Obsidian takes a long time to mine, you just have to keep with it.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Gota wrote:
Peet wrote:Running the minecraft server is kind of a pain because it has a tendency to lock up, eating two cores' worth of cpu power and memory approaching the maximum java heap size (1GB by default), while nobody is using it...managing the one used by my friends and I is annoying enough, otherwise I'd throw a second one up on the server I administrate at uni.
Do it.
Bah. I'lll talk to the sysadmin and see if it'd be allowed.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Gota wrote: I didnt know the portal thingy...What is it made of?i searched and i dont recognize the blocks, also can i somehow mine the purple blocks created when lava is extnguished?I tried wth a diamond pickaxe and failed.
people make their own "obsidian mines" but doing it that was is kind of wimpy; its much more awesome to go into the caves and get it that way

bring lots of buckets of water and some diamond picks to a still lava pool, pour water over the lava (moving water + still lava = obsidian) and then chop away with your diamond pick

make sure to push up against the block as you mine it, so that the valuable obsidian doesnt fall into the lava below

also carry at least one extra bucket of water for when you eventually get overconfident and accidentally light yourself on fire

edit: can anyone comment on the sort of pings people from europe might get when connecting to a north american server? is it still playable? i hope so
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Friend of mine has been hosting this on our server for a while, I think I might actually get it. Who wants to play with me? :p
smoth

Post by smoth »

side note:
using the john smith set, pretty boss.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I'm trying the 128 textures but they seem quite laggy.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i think they use like 30x30 max
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I mean the texture pack
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i mean, there is a reason why they use around 30x30 max only. becouse anything bigger lags horribly. 'leaves' are good example, changed dozen of times and even if u didnt see any difference, slight increase of texture size caused huge fps drop
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am using a 32x32.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Someone post a server address so all us cool kids with minecraft can join in and make a krogoth from blocks.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”