League of Legends - Page 3

League of Legends

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Re: League of Legends

Post by Gota »

I'm amazed that so many people play this...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Johannes wrote:How about RTS guides though zwzsg?
They're inbetween.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote:I'm amazed that so many people play this...
its free.

I wish more people played HoN. But I understand paying 30 dollars for a game were people will bitch at you if your a noob unless you play no stats or stick to low tier shitty game play can be a bit much.
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

I have some sort of free trial for HoN through alienware arena, so I may try it. I don't doubt that it is a better game than LoL, but I'm only above-average at LoL, and don't know too many people who play hon.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

zwzsg wrote:This is the kind of game where I found out I was expected to read for five hours how to play, what to buy, which hero does what, etc.. before "knowing how to play", or even understanding why are my team mates yelling at me. I mean, not only I'm supposed to know the exact state and purpose of the hundred stupid items, but even all the "tech path" between them? And remember it all in a pinch, as time still flies when you're shopping. I'm supposed to know the strength, weakness, usual ways of playings, unusual way of playings, of a hundred or so number of heroes, that's almost as big as the number of units in a standard RTS, except RTS units usually are limited to one role, one weapon, little customisation. And the LoL launcher doesn't scale on my 4/3 with taskbar on the right side.

So yeah, no, sorry, not interested into spending days reading and monthes practizing before being allowed to enjoy a stupid video game.

AP Poppy is the only way. Sheen + Boots as your first "big" items. Huge boost to your burst. Poppy is all about burst. Next up is Death Fire Grasp. Your ult gives you +40% dmg against a target. DFG deals 30% of targets max HP. With ult its 30% + 40% of that dmg.
As unreadable as a MMO guide. And I say NO to drugs.

I mean, sometimes, I read video magazines, and sometimes they have game "solution" in them. When it's about a FPS or a RPG or a GTA or whatever, I can read it, it's a bit boring, probably spoiling, but I can still read it, word after word, and they make meaningful sentences, and I follow the thread until the end, and it makes sense. But whenever there's a MMO guide, it's chokefull of acronyms and short hand, so much supposing the reader has tons of reference I do not have, that I start skimming over the stats, over the item names, over wtf does that mean, until I realise I'm skimming not words, not mere sentence but whole paragraphs and reach end of the page without having been able to actually read the text. Well, TheMightyOne sounded just like that. No offense to you, TheMightyOne, I found more obscure LoL newbie help in printed papers.
Dude, you don't have to know all of this in your first game. That's why you get 30 Levels of practice ^^ What I said to Poppy is not even common knowledge, its just what I've seen from top tier player's streams and I came to realize that this was the way to play this champion. With that beeing said in regards of what Otherside said. What I find MUCH more appealing in LoL in compare to HoN (I happen to have a HoN account too) is that in HoN there is just *one* right way to build a champion. I've seen Attack Damage, Crit Damage, Attack Speed Poppys and some of them totally carried my team. It doesn't mean those builds are good but it least you have room for experimenting and that is how AP Poppy was discovered, people realized how huge her burst potential was.
Back to zwzsg, I knew nothing about DotA when I started playing LoL. I was lucky though to meet some people who had experience in the gerne so I sticked with them and tried to learn as much as I could. The difference between what you've said and what actually happen is this: You say -> Invest time and effort before you learn how to play. What happened -> I had tons of fun building champions the wrong way, I was super happy when I got a kill and game after game I started to understand how everything works. See the difference? I recently started to play Galactic Civilizations 2 ... I didn't want to for a long time coz when I saw the screenshots I thought to myself "Wow, this looks like a deep and interesting game. But man... you prolly have to play this thing for a month before you figure it all out." I installed it, played 3 missions realizing with every following missions the mistakes I did in the previous one. No effort, just spending time playing a fun game. This game is very forgiving. When you start out you play with total noobs.... I recall my first game, some dude just ran straight into my tower before the minions even spawned. I could tell from that point that I'm not the biggest noob in that game. If you want to be #1 on the solo ladder you gotta know the game inside out. Now name me a game where this is not the case ;)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

KaiserJ wrote:imma buy poppy; im only level 5, haven't even seen that character in a game i was in before :D
Go away, she is mine! Also, she isn't easy to fit into a team, because you're hunting individual heroes. Her farming is pretty rough and using her effectively requires a little more attention to the battlefield than many people employ.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Here is a tip for all the newbies out there. Try as many champions out as possible. Then pick one you like most. But definately try all of them out.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

decided to play seriously today just picking to win than for fun.

won 5 games in a row. Think I might aim for a high place in the ELO rank.

Also what I hate about LoL at high level play is that your pretty much stuck playing the same champs due to runes. Like now im stuck playing AP casters and Tanks because I need to farm runes to be viable playing other champions like AD carries. Its annoying as hell (apart from needing to buy chars) In HoN I can play whatever I want whenever I want and can build the hero as I please.
Last edited by Otherside on 10 Dec 2010, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

meh, i played it some time ago but raged coz of fukkin leavers :( and i cant pick mummy ;_; so i see its getting popular here, gonna try again it seems
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

playing 4-5 games to get 1 dodge rune zzzzz.

In 100 + games I might finally have my tanking page done
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

My runepage that I am slowly trying to convert into a tanking page.
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

Armor is only 200 IP, and _almost_ as good as dodge.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Regret

Post by Regret »

Otherside wrote:My runepage that I am slowly trying to convert into a tanking page.
protip: after some thousand games I realized dodge is inferior to armor per level.

You can get 24 armor at lvl 18 just from Seals as opposed to measly 6.8% dodge. Also dodge doesn't stack additively, it has diminishing returns, i.e. the more dodge you have the less effective the bonus from consecutive dodge bonuses. There's an equation for that somewhere.

6.8% is pretty random and insignificant compared to 24% effective hp increase that comes from armor. Also abilities can't be dodged, armor still applies to physical abilities though.

My tank page:
31 magic resist@18
38 armor @18
8.5 magic pen.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Dodge used to be *THE* defensive rune. But then more and more physical damage abilites came out that couldnt be dodged. Pantheon's Heartseeker, Ezreal's Mystic Shot, Garen's Judgement etc. Dodge is still #1 vs. ranged autoattackers thought. Ashe, Miss Fortune, Kog'maw etc. but people tend to take armor or even HP/lvl instead.

@Regret
I prefer flat armor. The reasoning is as follows. Flat armor gives you 13 (I think) Armor at level 1. Flat will give you 24 armor at level 18 (thats 30 minutes later). Now the difference in 11 Armor 30 minutes into the game is no difference at all. But having additional 13 Armor at level 1 is huge imo. Same goes for magic resist.

edit: I'm talking about Seals and Glyphs. I usually use something else for Quintenssences.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

I am always stuck between getting Flat or per level runes. Per level always seems more appealing to me as games usually always get passed the level where the bonuses outweigh the flat runes.

Tho i want my runeset to be viable for jungling so I might buy 3 flat health quints.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Otherside wrote:I am always stuck between getting Flat or per level runes. Per level always seems more appealing to me as games usually always get passed the level where the bonuses outweigh the flat runes.

Tho i want my runeset to be viable for jungling so I might buy 3 flat health quints.
Dodge is actually a great rune for jungling ^^
pintle

Post by pintle »

Level 11 just bought Udyr: how I maek masteries? Atm dave has me compensating for fail jungling with a bunch of utility stuff, should I be 9 utility and start spending on other stuff?

Don't even talk to me about runes, I have so few IP now it is painful :>
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

TheMightyOne wrote:Dodge used to be *THE* defensive rune. But then more and more physical damage abilites came out that couldnt be dodged. Pantheon's Heartseeker, Ezreal's Mystic Shot, Garen's Judgement etc. Dodge is still #1 vs. ranged autoattackers thought. Ashe, Miss Fortune, Kog'maw etc. but people tend to take armor or even HP/lvl instead.

@Regret
I prefer flat armor. The reasoning is as follows. Flat armor gives you 13 (I think) Armor at level 1. Flat will give you 24 armor at level 18 (thats 30 minutes later). Now the difference in 11 Armor 30 minutes into the game is no difference at all. But having additional 13 Armor at level 1 is huge imo. Same goes for magic resist.

edit: I'm talking about Seals and Glyphs. I usually use something else for Quintenssences.
This is all true, and per level armor runes are useless if you plan on jungling(which many tanks are good at).
Llamadeus

Post by Llamadeus »

pintle wrote:Level 11 just bought Udyr: how I maek masteries? Atm dave has me compensating for fail jungling with a bunch of utility stuff, should I be 9 utility and start spending on other stuff?

Don't even talk to me about runes, I have so few IP now it is painful :>
9 or 10 in utility is essential for jungling (to get level 2 off golem camp and for the increased buff durations), but after that defensive masteries are better. I run 1/14/15 with attack speed red runes/quints (which Udyr really needs to be effective imo), flat armour yellow, scaling magic resist blue.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”