Wikileaks

Wikileaks

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Wikileaks

Post by Gota »

cool beans...
funny stuff...
The only trouble is that we don't see any leaks coming from all the baddies and dictatorships and chinas and koreas and irans etc...only leaks are coming from democratic countries with free press...

This is bad since with all the bad stuff going on in democratic countries the things going on in dictatorships are way worse.
scifi

Re: Wikileaks

Post by scifi »

thats a solid point, though i doubt in dictatorships, there are so many people willing to give away secret information, the risk is higher.

But i do agree, there are more critics being made to democratic regimes, and freedom loving countrys, than actual ditactorships that comit atrocities.

Its a ironic world we live in
Gota

Post by Gota »

I wonder who is actually funding wikileaks or do they manage to fund themselves...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Shit is probably going to hit the fan.

Arab Leaders telling the US to Bomb Iran :p
Gota

Post by Gota »

Otherside wrote:Shit is probably going to hit the fan.

Arab Leaders telling the US to Bomb Iran :p
Yeah they want it done but they want Israel/usa to do something about it to than condemn their actions...
Gota

Post by Gota »

Seems the amount of info is so huge...who is responsible for this leak and how much of it is true and how much is disinfo...

seems there is so much info no single news outlet can mention everything.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Keep in mind that American news is mainly privately owned, ergo they air the content that'll get them the most views, and, derivatively, cash.

The majority of Americans are more interested in celebrity yearbook photos (2nd spot on Yahoo! Homepage news today) than a decade's worth of leaked US international communications (4th spot).

:(
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

The issue with wikileaks is it is giving opponents to 'the free internet' something to sell to politicians, that is information that can be label as "damaging to national security". Consequently laws that may try to prevent harmful information might help the privatizing and/or regulating movement.

I'm not saying wiki leaks is or is not doing the damage, I'm just stating what the controversy could fuel.
Last edited by bobthedinosaur on 28 Nov 2010, 23:32, edited 2 times in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i dont think there is anything new we can know about china/korea/iran/ w/e. only numbers would change slightly probably.

also 'creators' of 'chinawikileaks' would be dead fast anyway
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Russia was using a wikileak like network to exposure corruption for awhile, but then people started to end up dead. And then the people that questioned how they died, died.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

In Soviet Russia, Wiki, leaks you.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

btw, someone noticed we dont have russian users here ? i think only smoke_th. are we rude ? :(
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

scifi wrote: But i do agree, there are more critics being made to democratic regimes, and freedom loving countrys, than actual ditactorships that comit atrocities.

Its a ironic world we live in

Because of double standards

derp
Last edited by Hobo Joe on 29 Nov 2010, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i think its becouse nobody can do anything about all these dictatorships. and probably coz ppl got used to it somehow
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

It's because everybody knows dictatorships are bad, it's the common belief.

In the US however most people don't realize that there's a lot going on behind closed doors, much of it very contrary to what's said in the open. That's why wikileaks exists.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

We were told to get some info that would "change history". I don't see anything like that from what I've read so far...

I guess we're just going to see some favoritism, embarassing and honest evaluations of certain persons and in general some not really correct deals or other agreements that are a bit questionable in either what they include or how people were "moved" to agree with them...

But oh well there still are lots of documents missing so there's still hope for something groundbreaking to happen...

Concerning the dictatorship argument:
I read some info about China, Pakistan or middle-eastern states so it's not just US related info in those documents...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

indeed, all this baw baw about wikileaks is just marketing so far, we will probably know that palin shared some love with bush in the white house or something.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

.. i still don't get how to use that website.
http://cablegate.wikileaks.org

the info is presented so bad...
it appears to me like primitively compressed, raw data, converted to HTML in a simple way, and.. thats it.
i mean, they do not even offer a search field? or am i missing something?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

yeah i have that too, i love the idea of wikileaks but the format is very daunting for me.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”