Bicycles - Page 2

Bicycles

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Bicycles

Post by Neddie »

Except the tires on a mountain bike are not well-suited for tarmac, and the heavier frames sometimes pose problems when you wish to transport the bike on, say, a subway.

I no longer bike, mostly due to a lack of time and equipment.
clumsy_culhane

Post by clumsy_culhane »

I'm currently in the process of buying a Scott Speedster S30:

It was reduced from $1600 to $1000 :) It will be my first road bike, upgrading from a crappy hybrid. Can't wait to bring it hope woot
Masure

Post by Masure »

F* nice

What kind of pedals will you use ? I didn't try automatic yet.
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

TBH I prefer motorcycles :P
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:The mountain bike boom did a lot of bad to the bicycle industry... like making "mountain" bikes the norm for department store models... its sad that most people, who should be riding some kind of road setup, are pedaling around on something that is both not fit and probably not of adequate quality...
Just throw some mountain-bike slicks on a mountain bike, and spend the money on a light frame (do they still make mountain bikes without shocks?). If you're buying a commuter bike, you want one that can take a beating - one that can fall over on the street and get stepped on. One you can jump a curb in. Not a delicate racing bike.

Although I have my dad's old granny bike for winters, and holy crap is it a different experience. After so long being so doubled-over that my hands get pins and needles, being able to sit upright is refreshing. Not nice for racing traffic, but it's otherwise a very pleasant ride.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

no bmx riders ? :D

:(

I also have an old mtb but I don't use it often because I just hate full-suspension since I ride bmx. Most of your effort are wasted and being absorbed by the suspensions... Plus it's damn heavy.
I really don't see why every kids nowadays rides full-suspension mtb :o

Road bikes and/or rigid frame mtb are the way to go :-)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

you know those guitars that are like... DOUBLE guitars?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Cremuss wrote:no bmx riders ? :D

:(

I also have an old mtb but I don't use it often because I just hate full-suspension since I ride bmx. Most of your effort are wasted and being absorbed by the suspensions... Plus it's damn heavy.
I really don't see why every kids nowadays rides full-suspension mtb :o

Road bikes and/or rigid frame mtb are the way to go :-)
Yeah - the problem with the modern mountain bike glut is the shocks. When I was a kid, no bikes had shocks... now they all do. Those shocks are a massive waste of energy and weight.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Why all MTB got shocks is simple. You sell crappy bikes and it's hard cause there are tons of crappy bikes. So you add those new crappy shocks and you sell more bikes cause people think "Wow shocks are so cool". Then all bikes even the crappiest one have shocks.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

looking at people riding bikes around, i see a lot of little kids on y-frame bikes attempting to jump in the air by bouncing on their suspension.

crem post a pic of your bmx!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Note that most of the bikes I've owned have been mountain bikes, simply because I lived in or around mountains. None of that experience makes them particularly well suited for flat or well-graded terrain. I made the mistake of racing on a mountain bike in a triathlon years and years ago - good times, good times.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

I have an old, made in USSR bike. Looks much like this one:
(it's called Ukraina, one of the most popular Soviet bike models)
It's about as simple as possible, made mostly of steel, and the frame is so durable that if/when it breaks, whatever remains of the driver after such an event won't need it anymore anyway :) Small parts break sometimes, spares are easy to find and cheap however (100% similar designs are very popular in India and China)
It works ok for getting to/from work every day (4-5 km from home).
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

You can still get mountain bikes with no shocks. They are indeed a little harder to find, but I know at least the company we deal with, Fuji, has a few mountain bikes without shocks.

I definitely hate full suspension and soft-tail bikes. It makes me sad to see so many of them. I think front suspension can be nice when necessary, but it isn't so for most riders. Only the real mountain bike riders should be concerned with it.
Panda

Post by Panda »

PtaQ wrote:TBH I prefer motorcycles :P
What about mopeds? I'd get one of those if I didn't think that there was too much of a chance of them getting run over along with cyclists (if there happened to be one) over here.
clumsy_culhane

Post by clumsy_culhane »

Masure wrote:F* nice

What kind of pedals will you use ? I didn't try automatic yet.
Shimano R086 Shoes, Shimano R540 Pedals. They were on special as a package for $219 AU :)

As for suspension, only very experienced and demanding riders need it. The extra weight it most cases (especially in commuter hybrids) is just not worth it.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

yuritch wrote:I have an old, made in USSR bike. Looks much like this one:
I totally would have guessed that was USSR made :-)
Erom

Post by Erom »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:I definitely hate full suspension and soft-tail bikes. It makes me sad to see so many of them. I think front suspension can be nice when necessary, but it isn't so for most riders. Only the real mountain bike riders should be concerned with it.
One of the reasons I've kept my crap bike so long is that it's a hard-tail with just the front suspension, and the local wall-mart only sells soft-tails now. Oh well. I have bottomed out the front shocks a few times, which tells me I should be glad I have them.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Panda wrote: What about mopeds? I'd get one of those if I didn't think that there was too much of a chance of them getting run over along with cyclists (if there happened to be one) over here.
very cost effective. i've considered the option of a moped or motorcycle a lot in recent years; i never really travel more than a 20 minute drive for the most part anyway. heck, if you like the idea, i say go for it... fun and cheap

i see them from time to time in my city, normally driven by girls... but if you swing up to montreal or quebec, you'll see tons of them driven by people of every demographic
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I see them in my town driven my drunks who lost their license. Though i still think they are cool.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

here is my baby :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”