Intro and questions

Intro and questions

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

gabbe

Intro and questions

Post by gabbe »

Okay, hi im new here, my name is Gabriel, im from Norway and i love computers :-) (Not in the sexual term) Okay, this isn`t completely Off-topic but i`ll guess it fits here. I was searching around for free RTS games, but i didn`t expect to find game engines though, and i was a mere noob in blender when i took the first small steps into game development and coding. The first engine i found was the free RTS GLEST, the original team behind it was kinds gone and had left development. I stayed there for a long time and i started on some mods, and those mods are still under development. Then i searched some more and found this, SPRING, i was kinda glest familiar and i didn`t want to leave, and i think i never will. Well, then i saw these two opportunities, many might think that i had to choose one of the paths, (but greedy as i am 8) 8) ) I choose them both. So what i did was that since i was familiar with glest in the first place, i ghought i could make the mod first in glest, then use the already used models for Spring. Spring seems more advanced than glest, but i am kinda more familiar with glest and i got so many friends in the community over there. So my story there were basically i started my first topic with a mod, and that mod never got finished, rather, i never really started mod it. Then i looked at other peoples mods and i decided to make a real try for a heavy-quality mod, a Amazon mod. Not like the amazon river mod, but a amazon liek the female warriors mod. That is my serious mod and the one i am going to finish properly and i won`t release it until its done. That mod i planned to have numerous features for and i really started to get into it. then one day i started to look at the off-topic section of the forums, i found a religious debate. Since i am a strong atheist i had to debate this and i ended up in a ignorant diguission of lies. The community decided to shut down the debate and recently it got back up and running again, now with a little less disrespect. Okay, so back to something different, i met this awesome guy at GLEST.org and his name was Zoythrus, he seems to think very similar to my way and i even hadn`t to create topics cause i knew Zoy already had made them. okay now lets end the talk bout that, lets get back to the modding stuff. Well so the features the Amazons would have in my mind is like this:

Trading
Trading carts
Sea travel
Ages
Stone age, medieval, renaisance and modern.

I know spring is kinda optimized for futuristic themes but i like medieval so damn good! Okay so basically i want to know if it is possible.

My skill within 3d modeling is as follows:

Modeling: Decent
Texture: Horrible if not trees or game objects
Animation: Consider myself a pro and then it must be good huh
Coding: Clueless? XD I`ll learn when i get along right.

Advice for meh`?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Intro and questions

Post by KaiserJ »

welcome! its a shame you're just friends with your computer, but maybe romance will develop over time :mrgreen:

always nice to have new people arrive, especially ones with modelling knowledge. not sure exactly what's entailed with what you describe, the trading and carts... sea travel is certainly possible... ages could possibly be simulated with "morph" upgrading, but im sure there are other ways as well.

it's not immediately obvious when visiting our forum or the spring lobby server, but there are a few different medieval projects in progress, all of which i'm sure could use some help with modelling and content creation. contact carrepairer or maackey... also posting a screen or two of your work would certainly be nice to see

welcome again, i hope your stay is a good one!
gabbe

Post by gabbe »

KaiserJ wrote:welcome! its a shame you're just friends with your computer, but maybe romance will develop over time :mrgreen:

always nice to have new people arrive, especially ones with modelling knowledge. not sure exactly what's entailed with what you describe, the trading and carts... sea travel is certainly possible... ages could possibly be simulated with "morph" upgrading, but im sure there are other ways as well.

it's not immediately obvious when visiting our forum or the spring lobby server, but there are a few different medieval projects in progress, all of which i'm sure could use some help with modelling and content creation. contact carrepairer or maackey... also posting a screen or two of your work would certainly be nice to see

welcome again, i hope your stay is a good one!

I will most certainly propose a marriage to my computer sometime XD anyways, i`ll find a good screenshot program now.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and where are you from?
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

I know it's a big wall of text but he says where he's from on the first line..
gabbe

Post by gabbe »

Sausage wrote:I know it's a big wall of text but he says where he's from on the first line..
Nice one :D
Jazcash wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and where are you from?
I am 14 years old, how come?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

That explains it - you need to be at least level 16 before you can unlock the enter key.
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

gabbe wrote:I am 14 years old, how come?
Don't take it as an offence, but it's quite obvious.
gabbe

Post by gabbe »

am i kicked because the forum has 16 age limit or what? my english isn`t so well...
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

I'm sure you won't be 'kicked', it's just that the way you talk gives away your age.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

lol be nice guys, everyone is welcome!

but holy crap, this makes me feel old
gabbe

Post by gabbe »

KaiserJ wrote:lol be nice guys, everyone is welcome!

but holy crap, this makes me feel old
How come isn`t there anyone as young as me here aswell?

:P
Raghna wrote:I'm sure you won't be 'kicked', it's just that the way you talk gives away your age.
Ah, the post was so long and boring i didn`t even bother reading it myself...I could write better but i am so lazy when it comes to text and stuff. :oops:
Caydr wrote:That explains it - you need to be at least level 16 before you can unlock the enter key.
What do you mean?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Dont mind the trolls...
Your not gonna get any help here.
You can do all you want in spring.
Do not post here anymore instead go to the development tab above and educate yourself also join the #moddev channel in the multiplayer lobby and ask there for advice or help when you need it.
Last edited by Gota on 15 May 2010, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
gabbe

Post by gabbe »

Gota wrote:Dont mind the trolls...
Okay, anyone know of a mod similar to mine that i can cooperate in?

EDIT: okay
Gota

Post by Gota »

gabbe wrote:
Gota wrote:Dont mind the trolls...
Okay, anyone know of a mod similar to mine that i can cooperate in?
Talk to carrepairer.
Either pm him here or find him in the multiplayer lobby.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Be nice. He might be 14 but he's not trolling or being retarded...

Welcome and don't feed the trolls! If you need help I can help out... but I'm not really involved in spring anymore, so only general questions about developing a game (modeling, texturing, design, ect).
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The great thing about the internet is that your age doesn't matter. As long as you make quality work and speak in a sensible manner, you'll be more respected than 25 years old idiots.
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

Wtf, why is everyone calling everyone a troll all the f*ckin' time?
It's always the same, 'troll' is an overused word who lost all of it's meaning by now.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Raghna wrote:Wtf, why is everyone calling everyone a troll all the f*ckin' time?
It's always the same, 'troll' is an overused word who lost all of it's meaning by now.
QFT

I get called a troll when I'm trolling, I get called a troll when I'm just being me, I get called a troll when I'm trying to be nice.

I've had enough of this shit!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Fair enough, but please don't steal gabbe's thread :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”