What Kind of Animal Would You Like to Have as a Pet?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Panda

Post by Panda »

Draco volans: The flying dragon! Lizards are such cool creatures. They bob their heads, do push-ups, or extend their wings when they feel threatened. This lizard looks like a miniature dragon and will fly around in order to impress a female lizard too.

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: What Kind of Animal Would You Like to Have as a Pet?

Post by KaiserJ »

thats a crazy cool lizard... my friend would love that, she's got all sorts of cool geckos and creatures of the sort

vietnamese pot bellied pig for me plox ^^
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

panda or lynx
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hmmm if i can be assured that i wont be mauled to death, i will take a bear over a piggy any day.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I want a Night Fury.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A cookie, I have my own colony of cookies in my room
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Homosapien?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

that lizard is cool, but.. as a pet? it would stick in its little glass cage, and just sit there like any other gecko would.

Once back in school, during a break between classes, i sat somewhere by myself, away from the masses, and one of these came by and started hitting me from the side, in a friendly way. since then, they are my favorite and what i would like as a pet. would like to keep it half wild, maybe just coming by for food and some play, but here it is illegal to have them here.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

are they ravens hoijui? nice birds i think.

they generally eat carcasses of other animals; i learned this from work... ravens were eating this dead squirrel on the roof that i was repairing

they can eat anything really though; i bet there is something special out there that you could use to attract them to your garden or balcony or whatever (special meaning something like a special seed... i wouldnt want you having to use dead squirrels XD)

i can't imagine they are fearful of anything much, they can just fly away!
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

If I could choose any animal in the world as a pet, I'd choose a cat.

Here are some pictures.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yep kaiser, ravens :-)
i read that raven is the general species, having many subtypes, one of which is crow, which are among the biggest, and i think the two in the 3rd pic are crows. what we have around here most often is something between the first and these two, i would say. i am really no expert though.
yeah.. i guess i could attract them somehow, but as it is illegal.. i mean, this country is the lat place you could get by with this. it is totally possible that if i get seen only once, closer to one of them then 2m, that the police gets called.
the reason it is illegal is, that they were close to extinction, some 30+ years ago, cause farmers hunted them, cause they picked up the seeds from the fields. at that time, they put them on a list of species in danger, and just did not care to change that again, even doh it is totally absurd now.
They are also among the most intelligent animals. what i have seen so far, it is clear to me that they are smarter then dolphins or octopusies. i guess some apes are smarter ... though of course, this is not directly comparable.
pintle

Post by pintle »

That's a Peregrine Falcon

I used to fly birds of prey (mostly owls) regularly, but never had my own bird. Even though I am vegetarian, I would absolutely love to hunt with a bird, they are super cool imo :)

They were sporting birds in medieval times, now they are endangered, though on a minor comeback.

Also a Red Squirrel:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm really interested in Jerboas.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also hear beavers make good pets, I'd kind of like a beaver.

Also, Red Pandas

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've got 4 cats already, so I don't think I need any more of them, but once my cats move on and I've got my own place and stuff I think it might be kind of cool to try raising a wildcat of some type. Something big and awesome preferably. I think I'm good enough at cat behavioral awareness to handle something more exotic than the common house cat.
Panda

Post by Panda »

hoijui wrote:that lizard is cool, but.. as a pet? it would stick in its little glass cage, and just sit there like any other gecko would.
One might want to let it fly around sometimes. I let my pet turtle run around.
hoijui wrote:Once back in school, during a break between classes, i sat somewhere by myself, away from the masses, and one of these came by and started hitting me from the side, in a friendly way. since then, they are my favorite and what i would like as a pet. would like to keep it half wild, maybe just coming by for food and some play, but here it is illegal to have them here.
I guess the birds are used to people over there. It's too bad that you can't keep one as a pet or feed it. I used to hang peanut butter and seed covered pine cones out for birds to eat. Can't you even have any kind of bird feeder for them? Bird feeders (especially for humming birds) are popular over here. Does anyone over there ever feed them because I would think that it would be difficult to do something like that or have a bird feeder if you can't come within 2 m. of them.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I let my pet turtle run around.
sounds super exciting :regret:
j/k, reptiles are awesome.
I agree with the interessting behaviours, for example the lizards from the galapagos islands not only look great
Image Image
but they dive in the ocean to eat seaweed and then they must recharge heat in the sun. (i think the dark color helps there)

but this guy seems pretty chill too:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Amiens.jpg
Gota

Post by Gota »

I'd like a bonsai as a pet..
It needs a lot of care and they look awesome if grown properly.
They are also very expensive..

More pics:

If it must be an animal than something smart...like some monkey.
Mav

Post by Mav »

A Pokemon

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”