LED-TV suggestions

LED-TV suggestions

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Zydox
Lobby Developer

LED-TV suggestions

Post by Zydox »

Hello.

I'm searching for a new LED-TV to buy, but I'm having troubles finding one to buy...

So far I've been considering the following three:
* Samsung UE-46B8050 - 46", 200Hz (1950Ôé¼) My favourite, though a little small...
* Samsung UE-55B7050 - 55", 100Hz (2400Ôé¼)
* Samsung UE-55C8705 - 55", 200Hz, 3D (3600Ôé¼) Damn expensive...

I've read a little about "clouding" issues with the 55B7050 TV, but other than that I don't really know much...

Anyone here got any helpfull comments/suggestions?
AF
AI Developer

Re: LED-TV suggestions

Post by AF »

Its sad that the TV companies decided to call their LED backlit screens LED TVs, shooting themselves in the foot for when they have to push actual LED TVs
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

My fluorescent TV works pretty well. If you don't want to spend too much money, buy a fluorescent TV. They are the most prevalent type of TV in the market. Nearly all computer monitors are also fluorescent.
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

That's just my personal opinion, but spending that much money on a TV screen that will be worthless in a few years hardly seams worth it...

IDK about TV screens, but so far of all computer screens I've seen, Samsung seems to have the best quality/price.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

AF wrote:Its sad that the TV companies decided to call their LED backlit screens LED TVs, shooting themselves in the foot for when they have to push actual LED TVs
Are there any plans on making LED TV's?
Afaik the next step seems to be O-LED, and it will probably take a few years before that becomes a real alternative...
CarRepairer wrote:My fluorescent TV works pretty well. If you don't want to spend too much money, buy a fluorescent TV.
Which model do you own, and for how long have you had it?
Raghna wrote:That's just my personal opinion, but spending that much money on a TV screen that will be worthless in a few years hardly seams worth it...
It's true it's a lot of money, but I don't really spend that much on things in general... so I figure it's time to buy something instead of just saving my money...

Right now I'm stuck with an old Philips 32" TV (CRT), so it's time to upgrade to something with larger viewing area and thinner...
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

hmm does that really say 3D?

also wtf prices...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You can build a 40" LED TV and put it on sale for less than 10k, these days finding an OLED bigger than 10" for less than £2k is a nightmare
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

+1 to tribulex, those prices seem extremely expensive for televisions of that size... not sure where you live though

i was looking the other day at a canadian site tiger direct and they had a deal on an open box for a 73" tv for only $2000 cdn

anyways nothing wrong with dropping a ton of cash on a TV, because its the sort of thing you'll always get the use out of, but its sometimes a good idea to do a lot of shopping around and waiting, maybe you can get a better deal and save some money?

my friend just got a toshiba regza 47" the other day and he loves it... good response time, good contrast... maybe that particular line of tvs is worth looking at. i have a slightly older model toshiba that i've also been very happy with.

what are you using the tv for? just telly, or also games and such?
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

Tribulex wrote:hmm does that really say 3D?
Afaik it's basically the same as in a movie theatre, though here you'll have to use active glasses instead of passive (i.e. battery powered)
KaiserJ wrote:+1 to tribulex, those prices seem extremely expensive for televisions of that size... not sure where you live though
Sweden, do you have some price examples so I can compare with the prices over here?
KaiserJ wrote:anyways nothing wrong with dropping a ton of cash on a TV, because its the sort of thing you'll always get the use out of, but its sometimes a good idea to do a lot of shopping around and waiting, maybe you can get a better deal and save some money?

what are you using the tv for? just telly, or also games and such?
Yeah, but I've been waiting a long time now... that's why I still have an old CRT TV, so now it feels like it's time to upgrade... so I can watch Avatar on it :-)

Regarding games, I'm not sure if I'll use it for that... but I wouldn't rule it out... mostly it's TV series and movies from my media center...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Zydox wrote:
Tribulex wrote:hmm does that really say 3D?
Afaik it's basically the same as in a movie theatre, though here you'll have to use active glasses instead of passive (i.e. battery powered)
That's not the same at all.

My computer monitor is closer to the movie theatre than that because it uses passive glasses, and even that I wouldn't call "the same."
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Theaters use polarised light.
Zydox monitor use shutter glasses.
Others TV and PC monitors use a prisme lattice over the monitor (no glasses!).
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

after a wee bit of research, it seems that you guys get different models released in europe, but in north america we get equivalent models... perhaps its to do with the regional difference in low-def signals?

i think this one is identical to the 55" one you considered... (although it says 120 hz instead of 200 like yours)

$2,799.99 canadian, 2,136.84 euro roughly
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sam ... 2922f8en02

so from this, i'm gathering that you may want to examine a discount/wholesale electronics store... you could almost buy two of those televisions here for the money! :(

now this is a long shot... maybe take a boat across to poland and buy some stolen german electronics :D ?
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

holy fuck that costs more than my entire computer. I could make a down payment on a nice care for that much.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I will second that, anyone willing to pay that much for a TV when just sitting closer has the same effect is a bloody retard.

In fact, screw the sitting closer part, anyone willing to pay that much for a TV is a retard.

If you want 3D, you're buying too early and will probably end up with something akin to an HD-DVD player. If you want 120 hz, bear in mind that it doesn't actually accept 120 hz input, it just doubles/triples/whatever frames. Looks nice, yes, but if you want to use it with a computer it won't take 120hz...

Get off my lawn.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Heh get off your high horse...
People have different priorities in life some buy expensive cars,some buy expensive clothes and some buy expensive TVs.
The fact YOU don't think Its important to spend a lot of money on a TV does not grant you the right to shout out against people who do.

That TV seems to be awesome although personally i wouldn't get anything that required me to wear glasses.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

For that money you get a good beamer. :shock:
(or two)

beamers seem to be affordable now, more and more people I know have them.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Sure, people have different priorities, I get that. But 3D TVs are so new and there isn't a proper standard yet. Presumably these are the same people that just experienced the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray standard war, you would expect them to know better.

With that $3k you could buy something ultra-high-quality from tech that's already matured. Like, that's your whole living room including furniture and surround sound... and whiskey and hookers. Srsly...
Gota

Post by Gota »

Seems you still don't get it.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Honestly, if I were going 3D, I'd just get some good VR glasses. Anything else will give me a headache if I tilt my head.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I purchased a 3D computer monitor with interleaved left/right images and passive glasses. It is not the most beautiful solution, but it was very inexpensive, will always be guaranteed to work in the future due to simplicity, works with Spring, Youtube, and everything else, and it doubles as my second monitor anyway. Basically I paid a premium of $100 for the 3D. Years from now 3D might be mainstream, but I'll enjoy this until then.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”