A+ certification

A+ certification

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

oksnoop2

A+ certification

Post by oksnoop2 »

So i'm just about done with my IT courses, if all goes well i'll be done by the end of summer. I've got to get my A+ certification soon. I'm a bit nervous, I've never taken any kind of test like this. I was wondering if anyone on here has and if they could tell me what their experiences with it was like, and if it's actually helped them get a job or some such thing.
AF
AI Developer

Re: A+ certification

Post by AF »

Where ICT and anything related to computers is concerned, experience trumps qualifications
Relative

Post by Relative »

AF wrote:Where ICT and anything related to computers is concerned, experience trumps qualifications
Yeah, but you got to start from somewhere.
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

Relative wrote:
AF wrote:Where ICT and anything related to computers is concerned, experience trumps qualifications
Yeah, but you got to start from somewhere.
Home helps
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Ugh ICT...
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Forgive my ignorance, but does this course provide some kind of degree? Like at least a bachelors or equivalent? If it doesn't than the previous posters where probably right, experience will serve you way better.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Everybody I have talked to about IT degree/courses says they are worthless as far as learning about computers.

I'm not too sure about this myself though a most people that have told me this have done IT degrees and work in IT.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Google_Frog wrote:Everybody I have talked to about IT degree/courses says they are worthless as far as learning about computers.
This.

Everybody at our school who took Computing laugh at the kids who chose ICT. ICT is about how the general purpose software is used in organisations and how to use basic office software. Computing is about the actual computers, what makes them tick, programming and the like. Much more fun, useful and interesting.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

my IT course was about how to use Microsuck office.
Srsly.. how DUMB do you need to be to fail at that? XD
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

bartvbl wrote:my IT course was about how to use Microsuck office.
Srsly.. how DUMB do you need to be to fail at that? XD
That's what all IT courses are.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Certifications of any kind are worthless and meaningless in reality, and it's true that virtually anyone can get one if they know the absolute basics of Windows and Office.

However, as we're dealing in the professional world and not reality, what matters is that the person interviewing you is most likely of an age and/or level of qualification where they have no idea of this fact.

Personally I've found that relying on one's portfolio and references are more effective though. Saying, "This is what I've made" and handing them a physical object or showing them something on a computer is by far a better tool than a list of qualifications, even to someone who's clueless.

But it's true that certifications are a good place to start if you're new to the job market. In certain cases (although rarely if ever with general IT stuff, AFAIK... maybe for admin/security/etc) employees need certain qualifications or else the company as a whole puts its reputation on the line... like if they're ISO certified or something.

For what it's worth, here's my two cents: if you can get an official First Aid Training Certificate you are going to be much more valuable to a company and everyone I've talked to (on friendly terms) that's in a position to hire people has told me that first aid training is a huge plus. This is especially true if you live in an area where there are requirements for a certain number of first-aid trained individuals on duty per untrained individuals at any time of the day.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

A+ certification is worthless for the most part. It doesn't teach you experience, and generally tends to lead to dumbshits who think they know more than they do. If you're willing to understand that a+ is a foundation, and are willing to learn by experience, then yes, it will do you good.

I took a+ and n+ simply because businesses nowadays expect you to have those certifications. Did I learn anything I didn't already know? Not really. On the other hand, it did help me learn to do hardcore subneting *shudder* (in case you don't know, subnetting tends to be a nightmare and gets really complicated fairly quickly... make sure you memorize the numbers, they'll help a lot).

Out of all the people I saw when I was doing the courses, there were probably 5 of us in the entire building that were qualified to do more with a computer than check facebook updates. The commonality between us were that we had years and years of experience.

If you actually learn a whole lot when taking the a+ courses, then you have a great lack of experience. With that knowledge in mind, pay attention and learn all you can from watching others, valid internet techsites, etc.

Definitely take the courses though, as employers will look to see if you are certified first, however, remember that having a+ certification only means that your IQ is slightly above that of a rock.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Re: N+ certification

Post by Caydr »

Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

I am planning on getting A+ certified so I can get some better jobs to get me through school. Honestly though I think its just an Asshole Liscense.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”