Possibly Delusional?

Possibly Delusional?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sucky_Lord

Possibly Delusional?

Post by Sucky_Lord »

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal ... world.html

I reckon she has some good points, but what she doesn't understand is that her games simply wont interest most people.
Now if we could somehow use a popular game to solve problems.. Then we're in business
knorke

Re: Possibly Delusional?

Post by knorke »

I reckon she has some good points
"IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT THERE IS NO UNEMPLOYMENT AND ALWAYS SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO DO"

"GAMERS SPENT 5,93 MILLION YEARS SOLVING THE PROBLEMS OF AZORATH"

"LETS GET HALF OF POPULATION PLAY GAMES ONE HOUR A DAY UNTIL IT SOLVES REAL WORLD PROBLEMS"
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

I spend 3 billion hours a week playing online games apparently.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Lets all move to azeroth
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I wish people who were female and don't play a lot of games would just shutup about games. They don't know a thing. Play games cause I'm not that cool in real life? Fuck you. I play games cause they're fun and I've got nothing better to do with my free time.
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

Apparently jaz took that one a bit personal
Regret

Post by Regret »

I almost started watching it but then I noticed female name in connection with game study and assigned it zero value.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Off Topic threads belong in Off Topic.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Buried for re-post.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

TED talks are overrated.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Hey some of them are really, really impressive. I love the ones that deal with the latest medical advances and other new technologies. Some of the "filler" ones aren't so impressive but, for example, there's an amazing one that was recently added about how they're re-growing organs from regular cells - no stem cells required and none of the controversy that comes with them.

Also there was one about a new way of harvesting bone marrow that doesn't mean hours of torture for the donor that I found very interesting.

The economic talks are also encouraging, like one a guy recently did about how, while developing nations are still struggling in a lot of areas, they are progressing faster than America ever did thanks to technology.

Then you get things like new cancer and AIDS treatments, or Bill Gates with that fancy new nuclear reactor he's sponsoring, etc. What's nice is that the stuff they're showing off is rarely just theoretical but actually being used in trials or being rapidly adopted.

They make you hopeful for the future, sometimes this can be elusive.
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

I've just watched this and got fairly confused.

I think her talk was contradictory. She wants us to play games more while mentioning (in between lines) that current games aren't the right one for her vision. She could as well call job a game and leave the stage right away.

The only potential I saw, was teaching ppl how to change their lifestyle, (less water/energy/... wasting for example) with game as alternative to commercials, billboards and stuff like that. But no, she wants you to come up with spacecraft that will be able to redirect massive asteroid traveling towards earth. While playing games...

+1 for delusional.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Her talk, in a sentence: Figure out some way to make people work without realizing they're working - in fact, make them think they're playing a game by making it an interactive competition of some sort.

I'd argue that projects like Folding@Home already do this, albeit in a passive manner. Human brains have massive untapped processing power, and millions of people playing a "game" like she describes in sync with each other would, in effect, likely create the most powerful supercomputer the world will ever know.

But I think we're going to need some kind of true mind/machine interface before the stuff she talks about is anywhere near reasonable.

However, by the time we have something like that, many of the problems facing us today will likely have already been solved and there's nothing to say that raw processing power is what will be needed to solve the future's problems.

I'm... ah... off to watch Ghost in the Shell.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Caydr wrote:Hey some of them are really, really impressive. I love the ones that deal with the latest medical advances
There have been recent advances?!?!?!?! Why did nobody say?!!?!?!?
knorke

Post by knorke »

didnt know you were already back
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Wow AF, long time no see. Still buggering hamsters are you?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I never buggered hamspters, but now I'm back, have there been any recent advances?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

No, just that recent run of buggered hamsters in the UK.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

First i agree on how addictive and time consuming those games are, and i find that alone positive, because millions of people who would otherwise roam the streets, wasting ressources, starting demonstrations (for the right to waste ressources) stay at home. So it is good, those guys dont get out that much, consuming only chopped up electricity for entertaiment.

719px-Red_Guards.jpg
(127.55 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Lets remember that not every youth movement is automatically good for its country and the development within. So dont get thy started!

Instance RealLifeRealityEstate is forbidden before Basementdwelldwarf has reached Level 35
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Oh my shit, what a week.

First news of the impending S&M torture gangrape of X-Com.

Then WiiWare "Descent" gets announced.

Then... wait was that all there was? Well those two were pretty big, anyway. For me.

But now, crazy delusional lady apparently got noticed by the White House.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”