Movie recommendation - Page 4

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 01 Sep 2010, 19:17

i think my favourite bit was at the very start, when he drops his car keys and runs a big ring around the parking lot to get the zombies away (cardio, cardio, cardio)

on a bit of a side note, i feel like woody harrelson has really been doing well lately... zombieland, no country for old men, a scanner darkly... all good roles! he's come a far way from "cheers woody". even in semi-pro he was still one of the more intelligent characters (although not a particularly moral one)
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 09 Sep 2010, 23:04

"the shinjuku incident" is a great flick.

its got jackie chan, without any of the usual comedy and lightheartedness. great for anyone who likes a "serious" action movie, as well as movies about organized crime and japanese culture in general.
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Movie reccomandation

Post by Neddie » 13 Sep 2010, 19:08

Gota wrote: Inherit the wind sounds interesting but also kind of an American thing.
Inherit The Wind is predicated upon the follies of a young culture caught between classical pretensions and the march of social progress, simultaneously championed and stifled by a controlling old guard. Not that different from Israel, and most of the themes can be realized in a culturally agnostic manner if you reject the drawn parallels.
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: Movie reccomandation

Post by Gota » 13 Sep 2010, 19:13

Neddie wrote:
Gota wrote: Inherit the wind sounds interesting but also kind of an American thing.
Inherit The Wind is predicated upon the follies of a young culture caught between classical pretensions and the march of social progress, simultaneously championed and stifled by a controlling old guard. Not that different from Israel, and most of the themes can be realized in a culturally agnostic manner if you reject the drawn parallels.
Heh, this very general description can be used to describe almost any country in almost any time in history.
Maybe we can just say the movie is about people and be done with it.
Than we can say the film is relevant for everyone everywhere at anytime.

Truly though the movie, at least from the description, is about evolution versus religion and the only place in the western world where those 2 are in actual battle today is in the US.
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 13 Sep 2010, 19:14

"harry brown" is like deathwish with an english twist

micheal caine is an ex-royal marine, and after his only surviving friend is viciously killed by hooligans on their housing estate, he goes into vigilante mode on a quest for revenge.

you gotta love a movie where a curmudgeony old man bugs out and takes the law into his own hands, amirite?
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Movie reccomandation

Post by Neddie » 13 Sep 2010, 19:20

Gota wrote:
Neddie wrote:
Gota wrote: Inherit the wind sounds interesting but also kind of an American thing.
Inherit The Wind is predicated upon the follies of a young culture caught between classical pretensions and the march of social progress, simultaneously championed and stifled by a controlling old guard. Not that different from Israel, and most of the themes can be realized in a culturally agnostic manner if you reject the drawn parallels.
Heh, this very general description can be used to describe almost any country in almost any time in history.
Maybe we can just say the movie is about people and be done with it.
Than we can say the film is relevant for everyone everywhere at anytime.

Truly though the movie, at least from the description, is about evolution versus religion and the only place in the western world where those 2 are in actual battle today is in the US.
Well, arguably countries which have more than a few years of contiguous history don't qualify for the young cultural classification. When subjected to that perspective, most modern developed nations are disqualified.

The subject in contention may not be as interesting to most viewers, even in the United States, as the methods of argumentation employed. I would like to think that a single theme does not define or limit a good film, for a good film is more complex than that.
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 28 Oct 2010, 05:40

bizzump

"winters bone" was a pretty good movie outside of what i normally watch; drama movie about a girl trying to locate her shady father in some nasty backwoods methamphetamine town

i was only inclined to watch it because it had a great rating on rottentomatoes and won a sundance award for something or other, but it delivered and would recommend.

(perhaps a bit boring, nobody explodes)
0 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10238
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by PicassoCT » 28 Oct 2010, 20:13

Nobody exploded? Is that even possible? Cinema thought me the human body is like a hyperpressurized can of tomato sauce with a firecracker in it. One tiny little sting, and booom - on the walls, one th floor, humans everywhere. You can tell us, if you sleeped through the movie because of long anti-piracy adds.
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 28 Oct 2010, 23:49

haha well in the new rambo it looks more like people are just big bags of tomato ketchup. maybe a compromise between the two theories would be optimal

there were explosions of emotion, do those count?
0 x

User avatar
Wombat
Posts: 3379
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 15:53

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Wombat » 28 Oct 2010, 23:57

wasnt that the best part about this movie ? :regret: my ass was so tight when japs were running in the mined mud, WHAT A TENSION :D

btw, someone watched 'essential killing' ? im wondering about usa citizens opinions
0 x

User avatar
Panda
Posts: 2042
Joined: 22 Jun 2006, 00:20

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Panda » 29 Oct 2010, 01:17

In Machine Girl it just looked like they were spraying red Kool-Aid everywhere.
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Neddie » 29 Oct 2010, 02:18

Wombat wrote:my ass was so tight
Films to tone your buttocks to.
0 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10238
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by PicassoCT » 29 Oct 2010, 14:22

Neddie wrote:
Wombat wrote:my ass was so tight
Films to tone your buttocks to.

Good, goood, goood bass vibrations :)
0 x

User avatar
Wombat
Posts: 3379
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 15:53

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Wombat » 29 Oct 2010, 15:19

talking about my ass is gay u kno
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 11 Nov 2010, 19:30

just saw "the lovely bones" the other day

was pretty cool, i guess i was expecting something different seeing as it was a peter jackson movie. mark wahlberg was a bit fail but susan sarandon made a great drunken grandma. the best actor though was the little girl, played by "Saoirse Ronan"... making up for her stupid name with an excellent performance.

basically this girl gets killed by a pedo (who was cast excellently... as soon as you see him, you know) but doesn't go to heaven, she stays in sort of a wierd fantasia-esqe purgatory and attempts to communicate with her loved ones

parts of the movie were so sad that i felt like i was gonna cry :O maybe just because i was intoxicated, or watching the movie alone, but it's gotta have SOMETHING going for it.

sadly, nobody exploded. decent date night movie i'd wager

edit : why do i keep enjoying these womenfolk movies :(
0 x

User avatar
SinbadEV
Posts: 6475
Joined: 02 May 2005, 03:56

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by SinbadEV » 11 Nov 2010, 20:29

"Scott Pilgrim VS The World" is at least 3 kinds of awesome and you all need to watch it... I know I'm late to the bandwagon but seeing at it's just out on DVD it sorta works.

I mean it's a combination of a romantic comedy and a kung fu movie that is so chock full of cultural references (particularly fighting anime/manga, JRPGs and other 80s video games) that anyone who lived during the 80s will feel like they are watching a movie designed specifically written for their benefit. Everyone else will just like it.

Also, I need a T-SHirt that says "Team Knives" just for the irony of it.

edit: I forgot to mention that people explode
0 x

User avatar
SirArtturi
Posts: 1164
Joined: 23 Jan 2008, 18:29

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by SirArtturi » 11 Nov 2010, 21:53

Just some that came my mind:
Mulholland Drive (Lynch)
Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)
The Conversation (Coppola)
The Tenant, Le Locataire (Polanski)
Fight Club (Fincher)
Pi (Aronofsky)
The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorcese)
The Trial, Procès, Le (Welles)

Some comedy:
Big Lebowski
Office Space
Being John Malkovich

And what comes to Jim Carrey:
The Number 23
0 x

Machete234
Posts: 642
Joined: 12 Feb 2010, 11:55

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Machete234 » 12 Nov 2010, 19:11

SirArtturi wrote: And what comes to Jim Carrey:
The Number 23
That movie is a catastrophy.
SinbadEV wrote:"Scott Pilgrim VS The World" is at least 3 kinds of awesome and you all need to watch it... I know I'm late to the bandwagon but seeing at it's just out on DVD it sorta works.
I should check it out i think I have it on my hd.
SirArtturi wrote: Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Have it on dvd, very dark, athmospheric but it can be boring.
Solaris is also great but it made me fall asleep too.
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ » 12 Nov 2010, 22:43

nice artturi, some ones i havent seen

those were your fav polanski movies? for me, its chinatown all the way
0 x

User avatar
Panda
Posts: 2042
Joined: 22 Jun 2006, 00:20

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Panda » 13 Nov 2010, 02:30

SirArtturi wrote:Just some that came my mind:
Mulholland Drive (Lynch)
Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)
The Conversation (Coppola)
The Tenant, Le Locataire (Polanski)
Fight Club (Fincher)
Pi (Aronofsky)
The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorcese)
The Trial, Procès, Le (Welles)

Some comedy:
Big Lebowski
Office Space
Being John Malkovich

And what comes to Jim Carrey:
The Number 23
Out of these movies, I've only seen Office Space and Fight Club. They were both good movies.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

cron