Movie recommendation - Page 36

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by PicassoCT »

be the boss of scientology?
MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

"incendies"
Good film.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

watched a bunch.
-drive one of the best action movies i've seen for a while. minimalist style that harkens to movies like no country for old men; feels like an "old" movie for the lack of overdone special effects and excellent cinematography. it's still sinking in, but certainly it's made it into my top 20 of all time. don't miss it. both thumbs, both toes, and a penis up. "neo noire" is a good term for it.
-touching the void... someone mentioned this ages ago, i downloaded and finally watched. excellent.
-50/50 girlfriend wanted to watch this one; i saw it had seth rogan in it so i figured it would be funny... 10% funny, 90% heavy shit... really enjoyed it, but maybe watch it when you've someone to curl up with because it's quite tragic and difficult to watch
-the guard nothing like a racist irish policeman for giving a good laugh.
-don't be afraid of the dark NOT as good as pans labyrinth, but the del toro feel is certainly there, and if you enjoy 80's haunted house / creature flicks, it's pretty great.

miley i got incendies but haven't watched it yet; could my girlfriend watch it? more specifically... does anyone get stomped into a bloody mess? (edit: nvm ive seen it, was confused)

pako i'm going to work on this list. other dudes: if you've something cool from your country to share, please do. i love seeing good flicks that i've never heard of;

i thought the latest pirates of the carribean was a perfect example of fluffy mainstream hollywood watered down blockbuster crap, but i was wrong, it's mission impossible 4

edit: dale and tucker vs evil is pretty good too if you want to watch something silly
smoth

Post by smoth »

Goemon
Was like dynasty warriors the movie... only with standard asian bad end.

oh and visual crack..
Last edited by smoth on 03 Feb 2012, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

had me at "ninja robin hood"
smoth

Post by smoth »

I hate ninja crap.. loved this.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

KaiserJ wrote:watched a bunch.
-drive one of the best action movies i've seen for a while. minimalist style that harkens to movies like no country for old men; feels like an "old" movie for the lack of overdone special effects and excellent cinematography. it's still sinking in, but certainly it's made it into my top 20 of all time. don't miss it. both thumbs, both toes, and a penis up. "neo noire" is a good term for it.
-50/50 girlfriend wanted to watch this one; i saw it had seth rogan in it so i figured it would be funny... 10% funny, 90% heavy shit... really enjoyed it, but maybe watch it when you've someone to curl up with because it's quite tragic and difficult to watch
-the guard nothing like a racist irish policeman for giving a good laugh.
i second these 3
Panda

Post by Panda »

Goemon rules!
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

KaiserJ wrote:other dudes: if you've something cool from your country to share, please do. i love seeing good flicks that i've never heard of;
I watched two movies by Zvyagintsev "Elena" and "The Return". Elena won the Jury Prize in Cannes this year, The Return won tons of things. While I liked them both it would be more difficult for a foreigner to understand "Elena". The story told "The Return" is not bound to the area where it unfolds. Seeing how both of them participated in various festivals etc. it shouldn't be too difficult to find subtitles.

I also watched "The Man From Nowhere" a while ago. Pretty good. Tons of action. Very brutal. Not very deep but very well made overall.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'm ... renting... those two as we speak (elena and the return)

it's strange that you'd mention "man from nowhere"; i just watched that recently, it's great!

i had forgotten my go-to awards up until the other day; http://www.goldenhorse.org.tw/ui/index. ... ac&func=nw

watched "let the bullets fly" and it was fantastic. i've found over the years that you'd be hard pressed to find a bad movie in the list (and the ones that were considered for action choreography are always off the heezy)
pintle

Post by pintle »

Finally watched Yojimbo. It does not disappoint.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

pintle wrote:Finally watched Yojimbo. It does not disappoint.
Will check out. I have "Rashomon" waiting to be watched for like forever...
lolzorex

Post by lolzorex »

"Take Shelter"
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Just finished watching "M (1931)" by Fritz Lang. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Great acting, great suspense. The ending reminded me of "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" which is also a great movie btw. Anyway, "M" is #50 on IMDB for a reason. I approve.

9/10
smoth

Post by smoth »

lady vengeance is good, Old boy was easily the best Asian film
MiNiMi

Post by MiNiMi »

"Intouchables" is pretty cool
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

The Muppets is pretty awesome.
Panda

Post by Panda »

TheMightyOne wrote:Just finished watching "M (1931)" by Fritz Lang. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Great acting, great suspense. The ending reminded me of "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" which is also a great movie btw. Anyway, "M" is #50 on IMDB for a reason. I approve.

9/10
I loved lady vengeance. Thanks for the "M (1931)" recommendation.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jazcash wrote:The Muppets is pretty awesome.
Statler & Waldorf are my personal heroes
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

smoth wrote:
Jazcash wrote:The Muppets is pretty awesome.
Statler & Waldorf are my personal heroes
My friend likes Beaker the most :P

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”