Movie recommendation - Page 37

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ »

have you guys tried the show "hell on wheels"

it's pretty cool; about making a railroad in america in the savage old days. plenty of olde tyme racism and people getting blasted with cowboy guys

it's got plenty of colm meaney too
smoth

Post by smoth »

does it only baw about the chinese or does it show how the irish were shat on also?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

actually i haven't seen any chinese, they are mentioned but it's mainly blacks getting the short end of the stick... they're always like "hey, you think this is bad, you should see the other railroad where the chinamen are working"

but yeah it's like one work gang of irish (conditions are super shit to begin with), and another of blacks who have an even worse lot in the company... blacks aren't allowed to go to the brothel or the bar, they aren't happy; they don't just twiddle their thumbs, need i say more.
smoth

Post by smoth »

<-grew up in the south.. have had my fill of "white guilt." Pretty much tired of anything BAW about african american history. I know it was shit sux just saying, growing up here you are fed a constant guilt narrative. My family wasn't here for that and my grandmother was a Yankee :P. If it is really good and not preachy I'll watch it but if it is one of those preachy guilt films I will rage.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

it's an AMC show;

i didn't really feel like there was much of a guilt theme; two guys who team up along the course of the story are a yankee and a freed slave but it's more as a story element than something they beat you over the head with... after all, the caste system in the railroad seems to be whites-> blacks-> prostitutes-> indians so it's not like they're the worst off

your perspective due to background may differ but i figure it's worth trying an episode in any case
smoth

Post by smoth »

oh it's a show? Not sure I would want to watch that.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

I can recommend these two movies:
http://www.pnop.com/Detachment
http://www.pnop.com/Happiness
They are both kind of sad/harsh (second one is especially heavy, due to topics and... trying to be realistic about them). But both are good. no action.
Both movies are contemporary and concentrate about problems in society, very roughtly speaking. they both concentrate a lot of problems into a few minutes.
lolzorex

Post by lolzorex »

ahhh nice i have been googling detachment for some time waiting for it tp pops up online and now i see it has.
smoth

Post by smoth »

John carter.

go see it.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

The Road - Depressing to say the least.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah I am not watching that movie again. It ended with me going yea...and?
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

smoth wrote:John carter.

go see it.
Didn't like it. Watched it in the cinema cuz of the effects. Although entertaining I found it a bit too clichee and childish. Maybe I was just too naive going into this movie expecting something more.

Watched Biutiful. Pretty good but very depressing. Worth seeing.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

KaiserJ wrote:i'm ... renting... those two as we speak (elena and the return)
I'm very interested in feedback :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

TheMightyOne wrote:
smoth wrote:John carter.

go see it.
Didn't like it. Watched it in the cinema cuz of the effects. Although entertaining I found it a bit too clichee and childish. Maybe I was just too naive going into this movie expecting something more.
yeah I should mention I like star trek over star trek: next generation.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Harry Brown
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

harry brown is a badass movie

watched "the descendents" with my gf last week, it was pretty decent... not really my cup of tea but good acting and the plot kept me engaged. george clooney is hit or miss for me but i enjoyed him in this one.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i have a problem reading reviews in a style like this without a grain of salt; many of his arguments are cyclical and seem to revolve back to the point that he feels the movie is overrated, rather than attempting to take in the movie without prejudice... like my friend that thought "drive" was shit because it didn't have enough driving in it.

my other issue with the review is that when you sit down to watch a movie, there really is a requirement to suspend belief regardless of whether the movie is "realistic" or not; when it comes down to it a film is NOT reality regardless of how familiar it may feel to you; in short i feel like using psychology to analyse the interactions of movie characters is an exercise in futility for the most part because you only ever see some of how they act, presented to you in a nicely packaged and time-edited format.
what makes me tired about (these movies) is the audience pretending to believe (they) represent reality.
this really sums up the general feel of the blog and comments: this review is more a review of movie audiences and the general publics' perception of films and what makes them good rather than about the film itself, which, accompanied by three tall-cans and my girlfriend, actually went down fairly smoothly. would i give it 89% or whatever it was on RT? no. i would probably give it about 65%, because it didn't really connect for me, but at the same time, i only watched it once and didn't attempt to give it undue analysis. hollywood films are not designed for subtlety; you watch them, then you're done. if i want something with meat, i'll watch something from a film festival and have better luck.

effective: although it didn't take me as long to read that blog as it did to watch the movie itself, i feel in terms of the actual effort:time:quality ratio spent, reading the link was more of a waste.

my advice: read less blogs, watch more movies: you should be ashamed of yourself to be watching harry brown in 2012 after i highly recommended it... in this thread... in 2010. :roll:

john carter : watchable, not fantastic, but there was enjoyment there. amazing how much money they lost on it, because overall it wasn't a bad product
the return : the torrent i got was of a 2006 movie with sarah michelle gellar. for some reason i decided not to turn it off and wasted two hours of my life. still on my list though to watch the actual one though.

http://youtu.be/-IhXHQ7cM98 this was the best thing i saw in the last few weeks "a very british gangster" documentary... i'll assume it's public domain since it's up on youtube (my apologies if i'm sharing illegally)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I found "In Time" to be quite entertaining. Yeah, certain expressions used are silly, and the entire premise might be far fetched to say the least, but it was definitely fun to watch.
Davot

Post by Davot »

Philip Seymour Hoffman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/) is one of my favourite actors so I try to watch all his movies.

Happiness (mentioned earlier), Capote, The Boat That Rocked, and Doubt just to mention a few great ones.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”