Movie recommendation - Page 43

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by smoth »

oh also if we are in the realm of suggesting anime:
5 centimeters a second

if you like lots of camera cuts, fast paced story and generally have a low attention span, don't want this.
Panda

Post by Panda »

SpliFF wrote:I love Studio Ghibli, even though they are aimed at kids. I recommend:

Spirited Away
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
The Cat Returns

Avoid Grave of the Fireflies. It's too dark for children and too short to be sold as a feature film IMHO.

I liked Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited away.
smoth wrote:oh also if we are in the realm of suggesting anime:
5 centimeters a second

if you like lots of camera cuts, fast paced story and generally have a low attention span, don't want this.
5 Centimeters Per second Is Awesome.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I've seen Skyfall and Dredd! Dredd had slightly stiff acting and obviously was not as cool as Stallone but movies nowadays are generally shit anyway. I quite liked it. Can't really say the same about Skyfall, it was average at best IMO. I want Sean Connery back!

I'd love to get my hands on this though!
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

rattle wrote:I've seen Skyfall and Dredd! Dredd had slightly stiff acting and obviously was not as cool as Stallone but movies nowadays are generally shit anyway. I quite liked it. Can't really say the same about Skyfall, it was average at best IMO. I want Sean Connery back!

I'd love to get my hands on this though!
fixed
smoth

Post by smoth »

rattle wrote:Dredd had slightly stiff acting and obviously was not as cool as Stallone
That bad eh? I am glad I didn't go watch it. I liked that dredd was as serious as tank girl(as in not at all). Was the new one all serious business and shit?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Lots of dark, gothic bats in the anal-caverns you have to crawl through as new director nowaddays to please the comiconcentric audience.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

smoth wrote:
rattle wrote:Dredd had slightly stiff acting and obviously was not as cool as Stallone
That bad eh? I am glad I didn't go watch it. I liked that dredd was as serious as tank girl(as in not at all). Was the new one all serious business and shit?
Darker and grittier, following the comic (which I never read). It was still good, but.... EAT RECYCLED FOOD. FOR A HAPPIER HEALTHIER LIFE! BE KIND AND PEACEFUL TO EACH OTHER. EAT RECYCLED FOOD. RECYCLED FOOD, IT'S GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND OK FOR YOU.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

agreed w/ rattle re: Dredd and Skyfall. While Dredd wasn't perfect, it was at least violent to the point of the surreal, fitting nicely with what I remember about the comics. The bad guy in Skyfall was the best part of the movie IMO, but the James Bond that I've always enjoyed was the classic bond with ridiculous gadgets chasing midgets and unrealistically evil villains.

Django unchained was interesting, saw it last night. Certainly worth a watch... it's pulpy and a bit silly and predictable at times but well worth it. Di Caprio does a great job as an evil plantation owner.

The Hobbit was great, but didn't realize that it was only 1/2 (1/3?) of the finished movie, so I was pretty bummed out at the end. Liked Radagast the best out of all the characters. It's hard for me to see the actor playing Bilbo without thinking of him in "Ali G in da House"http://youtu.be/foS84bEZSO4

avoid berberian sound studio
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

LORE.
Great film.I think the setting is not even that relevant to what makes this movie so good.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Another old but really good film is "The Devils" from 1971.Don't know why it got such a low score.
This film is superb.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Air Master anime. The fun never stops.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

If we're speaking of anime, Attack on Titan ofc, not a movie though so I guess this is the wrong thread :(
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

97% Owned
a documentary that explains the monetary system.
. yeah, yeah you think now.. again....
i saw many, but this one is different. it explains really well what is wrong, logically makes sense, is just simple pure logic, instead of: "banks are bad and evil and ruled by the people behind the scenes, ..."
it is focused on the banks right to create money.
it is a bit long, and then start to repeat themselfs (which i hate! if i want to reprogram myself, i will watch it multiple times, thank you!), but it is easily watchable until about the middle, for sure.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

I think my favorite anime is Voices of a Distant Star from 2003... really nice short movie

"The love of Japanese high school students Mikako Nagamine and Noboru Tera is tested when Mikako is sent to fight aliens in a distant universe and voice mails to and from Earth become months to years in transmission."

gajop

Post by gajop »

Why is it always high school students? Talk about an obsession. Will probably watch it just for the sci-fi elements, though. :p

Btw, the summary kinda reminds me of Planetes, you may want to check that out.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

because it is a celebration of youth in their culture, when you hit adult hood you no longer have the room for child hood fun and have to be serious business. Many cultures have warped perspective on youth worship.

Anyways, has any one seen Solaris or Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky?
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

bobthedinosaur wrote: Anyways, has any one seen Solaris or Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky?
Yes. Watched most of Tarkovsky's films.
brokmark40

Post by brokmark40 »

I am a big fan of Hans Gruber from my childhood days. Die hard was his first film in 1988. His acting is so natural so he is one of my favorite best villains.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Why is it always high school students?
Humans are very neotenic.

I'm thinking of watching Tarkovsky's Ivan's childhood because it's supposedly grimdark.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

can it jam spambots, whos master search for cheap excuses to browse on rts-sites during workhours?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”