Board Games - Page 4

Board Games

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Re: Board Games

Post by Caydr »

I've seen some of those that look really good. To me though, Chess is all about elegance and simplicity.

A Middle Earth set or something like that would look really cool and everything, but it gives me the same feeling as when I hear about a licensed property video game adaptation. Like the repeated attempts to make a Matrix game that didn't suck ass, or, heck just the sequels to The Matrix itself.

You take one thing that has the potential to be a timeless classic like the Original Star Wars Trilogy and you mix in some foreign element to attract another audience. Chess in essence has been Chess as we know it now for like 500 years, and it's been popularized for the last 150.

I'm rambling. For various reasons chess is special to me. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I hate when people take a classic and piss on it to see what will happen.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I hear the LotR board game is actually pretty good.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I hear only one hobbit can be on a mountain tile at a time. Talk about not checking your sources... :|
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

heh i have "construct own chess set" on my list of summertime activities. we'll have to see what happens... i have a lathe / dremel / pretty much everything i need, so let's see what happens.

based on what i like carving, it'll probably be goblins vs... well, a different color of goblins
Gota

Post by Gota »

What chess set can be considered classical?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Gota wrote:What chess set can be considered classical?
Idunno, any set that uses the traditional shapes for the units. I used to have a nice wooden set with felt bottoms - dark stain for black, light stain for white. All the chracters were the typical vague abstract shape. I liked it.

@Caydr - Bayshore generally has a few "decorative" chess sets kicking around, like the typical frosted vs clear glass one... however, a pretty-looking chess set is something you'd probably be better shopping for at one of those mall pool/darts/poker gaming stores.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Classical would be something similar to the first mass-produced chess design, called the Staunton chess set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton_chess_set

There are variations on this, but mostly minor things like having different details on the knight, a different crown on the king, or a different style of battlements on the rook.
Gota

Post by Gota »

The rook looks real gay.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I always liked those chess pieces made of ice, that force you into a speedy gameplay before they melt down.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Gota wrote:The rook looks real gay.
That's good these days? Or bad?
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hero Quest

Chinese Checkers

Majong