Been playing RUSE beta

Been playing RUSE beta

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Been playing RUSE beta

Post by Forboding Angel »

and kinda like it, until I read about their DRM on AC2 and SH5 or whatever, on slashdot I read this comment and it's funny and true at the same time :-)
Engineering hours building unbreakable DRM: $1.6M
Marketing devoted to managing customer hostility to new DRM: $800K
Lost sales due to customers boycotting your product: $2M
Having some wiseass kid from Sweden break your DRM on the first day: Priceless
Regret

Re: Been playing RUSE beta

Post by Regret »

u raff u ruse
Gota

Post by Gota »

I refuse to illegally download games with DRM :>
Last edited by Gota on 12 Mar 2010, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

I will dl the open beta over steam.
This game could be great or really bad.

edit:
I played it, its ok but I have to put the shader details on low just to eliminate the very annoying blur effect when zooming in and out.
They should have an extra option for the blur.

Why do developers always use these cheap effects like blur and depth of field?

Like in mass effect 2 theres dof and blur, the whole game is in drunk&stoned mode if you dont hack the config.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I love this game. Ruse is cool as fuck. I'll buy it if they don't include the stupid ass drm.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I played a few games of the beta with a friend. We enjoyed ourselves, which is saying something, because at least I don't usually enjoy games like that.

One of my opinions was that the game is obviously built around the idea of deception, employing ruses *rimshot* to help you win, and that is what they're trying to do to be unique. Unfortunately, when I scrolled through the ruses I could pick from, I was not impressed. Sure the ones like "Decoy attack" seemed pretty useful, but the one time I tried it, I had a hard time figuring out *exactly* how it worked. And then there's the one like blitzkrieg, which while that was cool, I totally don't think blitzkrieg is a ruse. I realize that's purely a semantics issue, but I found the other skills to be similar. Like the one telling you where enemy units were. Those aren't ruses. It can be misleading. Things that I consider real ruses, like a decoy attack, were in short supply.

I liked it's approach to econ. Simple and decently realistic, although I wonder why there's supply depots out in the middle of the English countryside.

The maps were kind of cool too, at least the few I played.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I tried it but latency with the scrolling makes it impossible to play. One rotate of the scroll wheel causes it to smoothly zoom for 20 seconds and I have found no fast way to scroll around. These are probably hardware specific bugs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google_Frog wrote:I tried it but latency with the scrolling makes it impossible to play. One rotate of the scroll wheel causes it to smoothly zoom for 20 seconds and I have found no fast way to scroll around. These are probably hardware specific bugs.
I dunno, could be, but I can tell you that if you're trying to operate the camera like spring's, then you're doin it rong. If you need to get anywhere fast, the best way is to zoom out move and zoom in. That technique is every bit as fast as pressing shift and moving in spring. I haven't bothered rotating the camera yet.

There are some key things in ruse that lend exceptional control, one of them being automatic unit stacking at which point you can double click the stack and order them around. Another is the fact that as you zoom out, your units get bigger so no matter how far you're zoomed out or zoomed in it's still really easy to order your d00ds around.

Me and sleksa played prolly about 10 or 12 games last night. It was a blast. We started off with 1v1 in which I tried to rush rangers and got my ass handed to me by arty, so the next 1v1 I pulled a cheese lighttank rush and caught him with his pants down (I claim overall victory of our 1v1's because when he beat me it took him 10 minutes to do it, and when I beat him it was over in 4 or 5 minutes :-)).

But after that we started playing team games and won every single one. The last one we played I struggled a lot. I went antitank first in anticipation of light and med tanks but got surprised by infantry and light arty, then to make it worse, I built a barracks (should have built armor), then I needed planes for the light arty emplacements.... Long story short, by the time the game had ended I had climbed up every single tech tree in the game... I played like crap cause I was starting to get tired (was about 4 in the morning at this point) lol.

We had a hell of a lot of fun though.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Me and sleksa went on a 12 game winning streak a few days ago, and the other night me and chapparral cleaned house for a while. I think we lost one tho, can't remember. So far, according to my stats I've lost 4 games, 4 games have been a draw and I've won 24, 1 Minor victory (score 10% over, 11 Major Victories, and 12 Total Victories.

The 12 game winning streak was actually only 11 for sleksa, because the first on for me was when I beat the socks off of him for arty rushing me, what an ass (I still think my ranger rush should have worked :-() :lol:

I love this game. :-)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

steam starter + DRM less "crack" should work online
Falcrum

Post by Falcrum »

Great game! I would like to see some great ideas from RUSE in spring ;)
jmj

Post by jmj »

This is one of the best strategy games out there. Right in the league of TA

In ruse you actually focus on the big picture, and not babysitting your tank as it rolls in.

I really like the scale of the game, with artillery shredding almost across the whole beta map (singleplayer), and tanks shooting almost as far as thee is unobstructed sight.

I LOVE this game, and am going to buy it through steam. SC2 was a real letdown.
Last edited by jmj on 21 Mar 2010, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

is this worth checking out?
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

it is worth checking out but micromanagement is still of huge importance imo. if i micro and you dont, i win.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

played it, won with an average apm of 5.2 and forgot about it. i can see potential, but it's not my kind of game.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ruse isn't about apm. My apm is generally around 4.5 or so and I'm level 27 with 54 games played, 3 lost, 6 draws, 45 wins.

I'm on a 19 game winning streak.

This is totally my kind of rts. I love this game, and there is a really really really good chance that I maek buy.

Micro is super important for your units, but macro is of huge importance as well. Me and chap played a game the other day 2v2v2v2 on strategists where we got hung up in the middle vs some very good opponents, but it was funny, all the supply depots were bone dry and we were living off og HQ and admin buildings. I had arty, tanks, anti tanks, air... pretty much shittons of every tech in the game, and I still had +2k in the bank.

Chap says over TS, "you ever have one of those games where you just have so much money you can't manage to spend it all?", "Yep, I can relate." lol
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

I thought its done in a pretty good way, there could be things changed to make it better of course.

Anyone wanna make a clan or have some 1v1's?

Also, u raff u ruse is the only response you should give while playing this game
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Starting download this morning, should be done by the time I get home. Hey forb, maybe we could play.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Downloading it.
Post your user names..
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

theres a difference between crazy micro 200+ apm and 4.5 apm.

Either your playing vs noobs or ruse is mega slow paced.

no rts even a slow one should warrant such a ridiculously low APM.

I played it kind of liked it (did more than 4.5 apm) and found people just spammed static and arty and some of the ruse's were quite useless.

i just used fake and blitz i wont 5 of the 5 games i played.

but kind of fun

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”