Online Music Collaboration Options? - Page 2

Online Music Collaboration Options?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muzic

Re: Online Music Collaboration Options?

Post by Muzic »

If you need a pianist, I am more than qualified. Finished up to grade 10 (there are 11 grades, the last one is the ARCT. That's a legal title. And it takes 4 years to complete) in the RCM program here in Canada. Unfortunately I only have an upright piano; I do not own a synthesiser or a decent microphone.

So I'm hard pressed on hardware.

My composition skills aren't too bad.
0 x

Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Oh nvm i thought you wanted to do a collab with us Spring nerds. I should read posts.

Tried craigslist?

And always make time for your craft. Can you at least read music?
0 x

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Muzic wrote:And always make time for your craft. Can you at least read music?
Let's say no... I can tell the rhythm of a song and weather a note is higher or lower then the last and in many cases this, along with accompaniment or another singer or already having heard the song a few times allows me to be able to learn a piece enough to know that this is the "doop doo dah dah" part and this is the "Doobidoobidoobidoobidoo" part and therefore appear to read music... but in the classical sense no... though I'd doubt most people could pick up sheet music and sing the notes out-loud so I don't see it as a huge problem.
0 x

Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Forboding Angel wrote: A perfect example, one of my favorite bands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVazZqRkEuE << First Album - His vocals are ok, but are weak (awesome song nonetheless). Pay special attention to the verses and the bridge into the chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3HEEq4LtE << Second Album - Massive improvement. 500x better. Basically dude made some money and got himself some coaching.
Either you are simply tone deaf (tons of people are, even professionals) or know nothing at all about recording...

First song doesn't have a lot done to his voice other then compression.
Second one is completely different. Basically the band made money & got a better studio to record & engineer to mix the album (notice the delay & chorus on his voice along with some reverb in certain sections). The guy might have gotten better but i doubt he took vocal coaching really (I don't consider mellisa cross' crap vocal coachin really, it's more like getting ripped off)
Now on the next album you might hear him sound even better since the delay effect added to make his voice sound 'fuller' could be replaced with double tracking & multi layering (costs a fuckton to do though).

By checking their website it's quite spot on really, 1st album was a DIY job with an audio engineer. While the 2nd one has quite some big names on it.
Forboding Angel wrote: I can't stress enough how important vocal coaching is for would-be singers.
Yes & no, can be learned from books aswell (and with google nowadays). Main thing is to get a good breathing technique wich can be self taught.
0 x

Panda

Post by Panda »

Elysium wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote: I can't stress enough how important vocal coaching is for would-be singers.
Yes & no, can be learned from books aswell (and with google nowadays). Main thing is to get a good breathing technique wich can be self taught.
When it comes to singing, teaching yourself to breath properly and practice is very important. However, it would also be very helpful if the singer at least knew another singer who could point out any idiosyncrasies that they may have. There might be things about a singer's singing technique that the singer simply doesn't notice. They may not ever notice it or it could take a very long time for them to notice it unless someone points it out.

For example, a lot of men have difficulty hearing different tones that are in a higher pitch, but if someone points out those differences to them by transposing the notes to a lower pitch, they can hear them. Then they can practice listening to higher pitches and have a better understanding of what's going on in the song and improve their ability to distinguish between notes in a song.
0 x

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Elysium wrote:Either you are simply tone deaf (tons of people are, even professionals) or know nothing at all about recording...
Definitely not tone deaf, and I've been signed to a record label and recorded an album in a studio in Hollywood with Dave Morse. I've also been involved in various recording projects for the past 10 years.

Instead of blanket statements about other people and making yourself look dumb, it would be better if you just posted your opinion.

Edit: Btw vocal coaching doesn't always imply another person (however that is the better way).
0 x

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”