Scary

Scary

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Scary

Post by bobthedinosaur »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... tion/view/

Just do me a favor. Don't bother watching it.

Edit:
Very Scary
Wombat

Re: Scary

Post by Wombat »

ok i wont watch it
det

Post by det »

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Well, I followed the other piece of advice you gave me, and thought it was pretty cool :). A long watch, but a lot of interesting stuff in there (and it's neatly sorted by chapters if you want to pick it up again later).

Dunno, maybe I'm more in the habit of confronting myself with technological developments, its pace and implications it might have (it's a pretty regular topic between my flat-mate and I), but there wasn't anything in there that brought up concerns I'd not already had.

To sum up though - recommended viewing!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

me not reads email, me not has facebook, has no myspace.

Only distraction is spring-board. I still think therefore i am.

One of the wonderfull things is, that games still can overwrite multitasking, so all we have to do is making learning as addictive as the best game.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Having to multitask that much sounds annoying to me. I didn't even have a cell phone while growing up. If I got lost while traveling somewhere, I would be walking to the next nearest gas station. Thankfully, I never got that lost.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm a terrible multitasker and I'm fully aware of it. I only multitask when I'm doing casual stuff so I'm not screwing things up. Like watching this video and typing this post.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

This video is so unnecessarily alarmist. I guess it's good that stupid who are delusional are getting a warning, but I think most intelligent people know there are risks to certain types of net usage.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

SwiftSpear wrote:This video is so unnecessarily alarmist. I guess it's good that stupid who are delusional are getting a warning, but I think most intelligent people know there are risks to certain types of net usage.
^^This
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Well the warning for me was more along the lines of: this is a - and could grow into an even bigger - problem for considerable parts of society.

Obviously, if parents take some care not to let there kids be reckless Internet/Game/TV/whatever junkies (and I'd think reglementing definitely is appropriate there), then as adults most can keep things at a healthy level.

I do think the danger that laissez-faire/"all-allowing" parents (well, in a way society as well) can greatly endager a healty development of kids is real though. (Hmm, I guess that's true for things other than technology as well...).
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

well im back from 4chan, have there been any recent advances?
Regret

Post by Regret »

ITT: failed parenting
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Does watching a documentary about getting distracted by the internet count as getting distracted by the internet?
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

How MIT students multitask is sick. Can they even think with so many things going on? Maybe they're way smarter than me and everyone else I know -.- But more than that I'm now convinced, that MIT students are overrated and terribly lucky to have that kind of learning environment (envy!), which adds immensely to their achievements. For example all of equipment on my uni is 10, 20+ years old. Our highest tech is FPGA development kit ffs.

I can and like to listen to music while I'm doing stuff, but it has to be w/o or little lyrics, so I don't get distracted. Other than that I prefer peace in order to think properly.

WoW players were properly old. How can you not figure out something more interesting to do than play games your whole life. I've been major geek myself and I still am, but games are slowly becoming less important part of my life. I don't plan on ever dropping games completely because they're excellent relaxation, but I think (or at least hope) that I'll never get like those poor souls.

Korea is insane. New school systems give me mixed feelings. But I sure do love technology :D
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Well you must not have watched the doc then, because the tests showed the MIT students who all thought they were great at multitasking kind of fail at it.
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

I watched it.

That was my point. They proved that multitasking made them worse, but they still graduate.

Never mind, those are just my frustrations, because I'm stuck on uni with 90% of equipment older than me and topics that need some serious revamp, while many other students around the world enjoy working on novel stuff.
Last edited by Wisse on 07 Feb 2010, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Panda

Post by Panda »

The technology at our university is not that good either. I was trying to do my homework online in the library on campus one day (while doing nothing else) and got kicked offline several times. It was very frustrating, especially since I kept getting messages that the answers that I had marked were not saved and saw that some of them really weren't being saved after I clicked save.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”