Preview of new AvP game - Page 2

Preview of new AvP game

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Peet
Malcontent

Re: Preview of new AvP game

Post by Peet »

Along with the red paint, makes it go faster 8)
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Seriously, Moderators, and ex moderators, you should know better, please

STOP DERAILING MY FUCKING THREAD.

In other news

More videos to check out:
Trailer of the story. Pretty epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3MJgfL ... re=related

A nice montage of stealth kills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqiuuqVMhp8

5 minute ingame footage of alien faction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVNWKQK9 ... re=related
Gota

Post by Gota »

Well,im not surprised the story seems dumb...
If the aliens were accepted as real and everyone known about them why are solders still going out to potentially infested planets with some simple rifles even though they know they will be completely useless versus the aliens.

In the movies nobody knew about what the aliens were capable of except the evil corporation..
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Peet wrote:Google for benchmarks...win7 outperforms xp on the same hardware in most aspects.
Actually no - not really. The difference is next to zero when talking about performance in games just as for CPU intensive stuff. Things like copying data around you hard drives got faster though...
neddiedrow wrote:AvP looks interesting, but I'll test before I purchase, as usual.
Peet wrote:Yeah, but my practical experience was a little underwhelming on one point... why does 7 suck up ~900 MB of RAM while idle?
Well did you really read out the real consumption? If you're just looking at how much free Ram is left your argument is wrong. Just as Vista seven takes some not used memory for precaching / prediction purposes so you eventually will get faster load-up times. Once a programm actually demands for more memory this gets made available immediately...
Spawn_Retard wrote:More videos to check out:
Looks promising although the last one doesn't work anymore...
Gota wrote:Well,im not surprised the story seems dumb...
If the aliens were accepted as real and everyone known about them why are solders still going out to potentially infested planets with some simple rifles even though they know they will be completely useless versus the aliens.

In the movies nobody knew about what the aliens were capable of except the evil corporation..
I disagree except for the first point. I wouldn't call it "dumb" though - the base of this overconfident and underestimating behaviour is something even common in the Alien movies. So no real innovative story but at least a solid base for a good one...

For the rest - well the "evil corporation" doesn't hesitate to sacrifice some people and if they would be able to extract all the science data of the shown lab that most certainly would be a big gain and might make it possible to continue the research at another location. You also totally underestimate the marines - actually unless it's not about dark rooms the aliens die like flies against their turrets or smartguns and even the standard rifles are pretty effective. It actually also is what the AvP universe is about so don't just compare it to the Alien movies...
Gota

Post by Gota »

This is just achildish effort to make a story as in 95% of cases...
It's is a result of players just gobbeling whatever they are given as long as the gameplay is ok and the gfx are good.
For the millions it costs to make and market the game they could even hire James cameron to write the story of the game and sequences..
well if not cameron than at least a good sci fi writer.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

neddiedrow wrote:AvP looks interesting, but I'll test before I purchase, as usual.
Peet wrote:
SpliFF wrote:Fuck paying for an "upgrade" that does nothing except make your computer slower.
Google for benchmarks...win7 outperforms xp on the same hardware in most aspects.
Yeah, but my practical experience was a little underwhelming on one point... why does 7 suck up ~900 MB of RAM while idle?
Windows processes, 7 automagically scales memory usage depending on how much you are using your comp atm. In other words if you start using some uber duber memory hog program, windows process scale back as much as possible to accommodate. The inverse is true as well.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

@Gota:
Well what do you actually know about the story? The trailer doesn't show much more than the mere setting. While it's the same as in terms of being in an abandoned installation but I still can imagine an entertaining story and in general one of the great pros simply is slowly walking through dark corridors while always having the beeping of your motion scanner around...

Or just running backwards like hell and shooting at everything that moves... :mrgreen:

So as said: It's not an innovative setting but especially the alien/marine/predator constellation wasn't really used at all except for the two old AvP games and even the AvP movies didn't cover this. This game most certainly isn't about a great revolution in the shooter genre but when looking at the first AvP games it has the potential to become a really fun game with some fresh elements (when compared to other shooters)...
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

As Forboding said, the amount of "reserved ram" (wrong terminology) is not at all representative of how much is actually being used, but most software reports on the former rather than the latter.

Basically if my understanding is right, it intelligently allocates free RAM to processes before they need it, as some kind of efficiency thing. If other programs start demanding large amounts of RAM, the amount of extra breathing room that processes are given is scaled back. W7 works very nicely on my 1 gb RAM notebook with superfetch enabled, even though on a computer with 4 gigs of ram it will use 1 gb at idle.

Basically, better to have the unused ram immediately available to a process and prevent the page file from being used wherever possible, rather than just having it sitting there to give your geek-ego a boost.

edit: for example, here's a pic I found of a guy with 768 mb of RAM.
c.JPG
only 363 of 768 mb of RAM used
(185.06 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Caydr wrote:As Forboding said, the amount of "reserved ram" (wrong terminology) is not at all representative of how much is actually being used, but most software reports on the former rather than the latter.

Basically if my understanding is right, it intelligently allocates free RAM to processes before they need it, as some kind of efficiency thing. If other programs start demanding large amounts of RAM, the amount of extra breathing room that processes are given is scaled back. W7 works very nicely on my 1 gb RAM notebook with superfetch enabled, even though on a computer with 4 gigs of ram it will use 1 gb at idle.

Basically, better to have the unused ram immediately available to a process and prevent the page file from being used wherever possible, rather than just having it sitting there to give your geek-ego a boost.

edit: for example, here's a pic I found of a guy with 768 mb of RAM.
c.JPG

Seriously, take it to another topic.

Moderators can you make sure these idiots dont go on about hardware and keep it relevant to the topic.

In other news, i reserved my copy the other day for both xbox and PC, but theres a slight confusion in the shops on when it will be released.

There seems to be two release dates, one for Aliens vs predator and one for Alien vs predator.

One releases in March, the other in February.

My question to the other people who might have pre-orded it, what is your game disruptor saying for a release date?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

neddiedrow Wrote:
Yeah, but my practical experience was a little underwhelming on one point... why does 7 suck up ~900 MB of RAM while idle?/quote

LOL@SPAWN!

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Forboding Angel wrote:neddiedrow Wrote:
Yeah, but my practical experience was a little underwhelming on one point... why does 7 suck up ~900 MB of RAM while idle?/quote

LOL@SPAWN!

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
I know he did, and i told him not to derail my thread, and beyond that he has not said anything about hardware.

So either Stfu, and troll your own thread about hardware, or bring something meaningful to this thread :mrgreen:
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

So is anyone else playing this? I picked it up today and played it for a little while. Actually I just played some minutes of the marine campaign. Although I know the campaigns should turn out very short it's great so far. It's pretty much what you'd expect from it - the start is sort of a mixture between Quake 4 and AVP2 while imo AVP2 still had a better introduction. While you still get introduced pretty much the same way AVP2 imo was better as you pretty much started fully equipped and it really was nasty with like a vent from the ceiling breaking in front of you dropping down some cables & other things that really look like an alien at first sight... :wink:

Apart from that it's business as usual and as it should be - you're usually on your own walking through damn dark corridors always having an eye on your beeping motion tracker. I just played to the scene in the club yet as I died for the first time there (hard difficulty). I actually liked that idea - nothing beats killing alien shitstorms with techno music around... :mrgreen:

My problem probably was that I ran out of pulse rifle ammo next to immediately. I hope it just was a first impression but somehow the muzzle flash was big & bright like hell and I couldn't really see what I'm shooting at. With the pistol being quite sucky although giving infinite ammo the like 8th or 9th alien then killed me. That fight turned out a bit strange to me though:

I have to look at the controls again but it seems you cannot run in this game and in general everything seems to be quite slow. When walking backwards with the aliens approaching they were just like 50% faster than me. That's no comparison to the amazingly fast aliens from AVP2 - here they're just as fast as the Praetorians from AVP2 and when crawling along the walls they do not always choose the shortest way to you. It also seemed that their attack was a bit strange. I still have to figure that out but the first time I got attacked was some kind of sequence that started which ended by me hitting it with the gun. Then they killed me with sort of "bites" or whatever it was (couldn't really figure it out as it was dark and we're in the age of blurry effects when getting hit) - however it was like three bites and I'm dead...

So until now I prefer the AVP2 style with more speed to it (while not being insanely fast so you need Quake 3 / UT reaction times). But well at least they were so kind to give you infinite flashlight energy - it always was a bit annoying to wait for your batteries to recharge...

So the first peeking at it was quite positive. While the movements and speeds seem a little slow the main gameplay seems to be fine. I also wonder if the multiplayer part really is locked. When buying it I got told it probably won't work until the 26th or whatever date it was (I guess they ordered some servers to work at that initial release date and couldn't make them work earlier)...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

i completed it on the xbox a week ago. it gets old fast but in short doses its brilliant, especially multiplayer
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I was excited until I saw the names on the box.

20th Century Fox = Intellectually bankrupt summer blockbusters, "if it makes money, make 500 more of it" business model"
Sega = Has rehashed one character unsuccessfully for 20 years and represents mass-produced hype with nothing to back it up
Rebellion = AFAIK has only produced one other game that wasn't a failstorm, and although it was also AvP, it was like 10 years ago so the personnel turnover since then is probably 90% or more. Wasn't AVP2 the good one?

I haven't read any reviews yet or even checked the scores, but I'm guessing they go like this:
- Short-lived enjoyment that gets boring fast
- Milks nostalgia but doesn't have a lot else going for it
- Bugs galore, "what were they thinking with x??!"

I can only imagine how AI-controlled characters move with three such distinct types of characters to program for and no decent programmers to do the work. At least the graphics looked pretty nice in the previews I saw though, but I'm guessing this won't be a Win7/DX11 showpiece like I was hoping in any other sense. I tried the demo for about 5 minutes and couldn't even figure out what was going on.

Now I've destroyed your game, can we get back to talking about hardware? Just recently I finished a Max render and when it was done I was down to something like 20% RAM usage, so you can see that Windows 7 wasn't actually requiring as much as it had "set aside". BTW, with Max's process priority set low my computer otherwise functioned as if it was idle! Definitely a lot of improvements under the hood.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

I also know again why I hate Steam and try to avoid any game using it. It seems that it fucks up one file whenever you stop playing so I have to "validate" the game files each time I want to fire it up... :evil:
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

I always thought the litech engine sucks, its a bit lame and doesnt look as good as other engines.
But the no one lives forever games were nice.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@Caydr - the first AVP game was released directly by Fox, and was farking fantastic. AVP1 was better for multiplayer, AVP2 was typical lithtech - they had tons of elaborate, clever ideas, but had no interest in balance or smooth play. AVP1 was way more fun.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Ok - I now also had some short multiplayer experience and I'm a bit disappointed. I think Rebellion screwed the game at many points while it of course is far from being crap or something like that...

The main point still is that it's utterly slow and stiff. When going multiplayer for the first time I of course got chosen as first alien in an infestation game - wonderful as I never were good at playing the alien and never played it in the new AVP. I really was confused as how you want to kill anyone besides waiting for them in a dark corner. The alien is so slow and feels like a Preatorian from AVP2 that can climb with HP halfway between the Praetorian and standard Drone level. You can leap jump I guess but not too far and you cannot do a simple upwards high jump. That sucks for both the alien and the predator. Well the predator at least has a trade-off as he now can do such a leap jump too. I don't really like the way he was done neither though. The shoulder cannon is useless as it spawns a giant red light beam telling anyone where you are. The weapon then also is rather useless as the shots aren't guided anymore and as long as you're not pretty close it's child's play to dodge them. The remote bombs got buffed though and now are mines that go off when you're near them making things stupid and boring (I don't want to have to search all those dark corridors for those damn mines!). The disc might be a bit overpowered but as the Marines can blast the Predator away without much hassle (shotgun & scoped rifle do a good job at it) he actually might need that...

Single Player as Marine also gets a bit boring and repetitive. The start actually was well made but apart from you walking through different levels while being guided by some radio voice and ordered to go to certain checkpoints there's nothing going on at all. There also are just 3 enemy aliens you'll constantly face: The facehugger spawns when you kill eggs and in the end is an easy enemy as you can take your time to kill it as it doesn't really approach you but just wanders around always halfway heading in your direction. The problem just is that it's so goddam small and hard to see making it a bit annoying. The same sort of goes for the drone "spitters". They might be even more useless enemies than the facehuggers. They just run along the walls and spit some acid at you now and then which you can dodge by strafe for half a second. Although bigger than the facehuggers they're hard to kill as they always keep crawling at the walls (they only switch to close combat when you walk into them) and as it's always so dark and your accuracy drops so fast it's just boring to kill them. You're just going to use your pistol for them anyway because everything else would be ammo waste (and as you're constantly running out of ammo anyway you don't want to do that). Then there's the standard alien drone. They're good enemies but not that hard when you keep walking backwards. In the end things only get hard when many of them are coming for you. That actually are the only hard scenes in the game - so in the end you just walk through the levels killing all the boring spitters & facehuggers and maybe one or two single drones until you get to a checkpoint before you're faced with lots of them again although I have the feeling there always are just three and every time you kill one it respawns. They can be a bit annoying in the first levels as you have just laughable amounts of money (120 pulse rifle rounds won't really help you against 10 aliens taking 20-40 rounds each depending on how much you miss). Entirely removing the ability to duck probably was a bad idea because the inaccuracy skyrockets pretty fast imo...

But oh well if you think of buying this game (maybe because you liked the previous games) I'd look for an extended review or video about its gameplay. I expected an upgraded AVP2 but it's nothing like that so before you pick it up for a full price inform yourself and look if you like the way things are done...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”