Global Warming: why isn't it warm? :(

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

maackey

Post by maackey »

For the past week the weather has been consistently below freezing. Usually around 2 to -2 deg. Centigrade. My dad has had to bring in as many plants as he could because our whole yard is dying. He is an avid gardener, and we *used* to have many really nice tropical plants but because of this frigid weather quite a few have died. I personally have had to sleep in a sleeping bag under my covers and wear heavy duty multi layered clothes around the house.

As I'm typing this it is currently -6 degrees (19 deg. F) I'm pretty grumpy because this weather is pissing me off. I drive a motorcycle back and forth from school (~30 minutes each way) and the only times when riding is not the most fun thing in the world is when its cold. (doubly so when its cold and dark -- triply so when its cold dark and raining) Then it kinda turns around and becomes very much not fun. Cold air constantly running against your neck/wrists/ankles @ 90 mph (~150 kph) hurts.

I don't get into political debates because all the participants are raving retards - so I'd rather this not turn into that. I just have to vent a little because I really cannot believe that it is so effing frigid.
Pxtl

Re: Global Warming: why isn't it warm? :(

Post by Pxtl »

My brother is a journalist in Iqaluit. For them, global warming is spectacularly real - lakes that are usually reliably frozen in this time of year are dangerously unstable, and ice floes are too unreliable for the polar bears, so the bears are getting desperate and poking around the towns along the coastline... and polar bears are terrifying animals.

Although hearing stories of Nunavut, I can't imagine anybody there thinking the nipple-shattering cold over there is insufficient.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

its pretty warm here, -8 celsius (its been -15 to -20 celsius past months)

didnt we have this discussion at #main a while ago? you were whining when you had a raining day... "omg its been raining, i hate raining, fuck my whole day is spoiled! i feel so pissed off now. i was going to have so much fun today, but now one day of the year is spoiled, this happens every year once! i hate it!!! fucking florida sucks ass, i want to kill myself!! :((("

crybaby.

i hope you all freeze to death by your epic -1 celsius... haha
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Here in Australia we've been having heatwaves instead. I suspect we stole all your heat.

Case in point, I've been running the air-con all day in a small room and it's still 30 deg C in here. It's about 35-40 deg outside and it's midnight.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

lol, keep doing it, maybe florida will freeze to death some day and we can take over it from those princes.
prankster

Post by prankster »

"global warming" is a little bit irritating, because the climate doesn't change to warm all over the earth. Only the extremes will be more extreme :D like in africa it will be warm or in europe we will get more floods etc.

Furthermore the poles will smelt...

If you know something about the greenhouse effect it will be useful to understand the whole situation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

i thought the climate change was because of sun radiation changes... and this greenhouse effect was just a lie to make money with stupid people
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Did everyone just forget the gulf stream collapse scenario? lol

Global warming != local warming

local cooling != Global cooling

We are in the coldest depths of winter up in the north are we not?
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

op is an idiot. global warming is misnomer. better term is climate change.
maackey

Post by maackey »

Lol. yous be trollin trib.

Because sarcasm is so very often misunderstood on the internet I will inform you that I know full well that it is a misnomer; it was a subtle jab at all the crazy religious environmentalist tree huggers.

Surprisingly enough I am quite well versed in certain meteorological events -- maybe not as much as others because I am disgusted by the completely political bias that the environment has become and tend to shy away from such discussions, but I did enjoy tombom's link; some of it was interesting, like the la nina impact, but there is always that abhorrent stink of pushing certain agendas. "Loading the dice" -- seriously!? what the heck is that? "we pump greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere" -- because lets just forget about the water vapor already in the air. Gah. I'm stopping right there because arguing about this is just ridiculous.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

The environment is politically biased? Damn it, I knew the republicans had to be behind this somehow.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

as much as the impact of humanity on our planets climate is debatable; there are some things that are indicated by hard science and have nothing to do with us that cannot be ignored.

as the earth spins on its axis and revolves around the sun; our climate is effected. although we are familiar with the yearly wobble that causes our winters and summers, there are other forces in play. the earths orbit changes shape gradually over the period of thousands of years; a long period that goes beyond the scope of recorded scientific history.

a number that many scientists seem to agree on is that ice ages last 100k years, and that interglacial periods (what we're in right now) last only 10k years. we are approaching year 10050 of our own interglacial period; so i don't find large scale changes of climate like "global warming" to be all that surprising.

beneath both of our earths poles; we find evidence of lost life that would have been more suited to temperate or tropical zones; conversely at the equator and pretty much everywhere on earth we find evidence of glaciation; a fly in the ointment to the idea of a static and unchanging environment.

so why isnt it warm? your guess is as good as mine; but i feel the numbers tend to indicate that it's only going to get colder from here-on in. its -5 here in toronto.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Ha! Americans will all freeze to death, while we will still occasionally thaw! Go Canada!

edit: Oh, I think I read that wrong. So Canada is going to freeze completely? ****ing Americans, always so smug...
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Fuck me, Ohio is getting awful north :(
Also don't whine until you get into -15s, man it has been cold lately.

Also Finnish invasion ftw.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Caydr wrote:Ha! Americans will all freeze to death, while we will still occasionally thaw! Go Canada!

edit: Oh, I think I read that wrong. So Canada is going to freeze completely? ****ing Americans, always so smug...
That's okay, we all know how to make Igloos and Toques and drive dog-sledges so we'll be fine... We'll ride the Glaciers down to Florida like Fremen on Sandworms... except with Ice... and it's Pot instead of "Spice"... and it's parkas instead of... okay... not all that much like Fremen after all... but still awesome!!!
Coresair wrote:Fuck me, Ohio is getting awful north :(
Also don't whine until you get into -15s, man it has been cold lately.

Also Finnish invasion ftw.
Also Also, we've been having -18C (that's 0 F) this month. And yes, we are whining about it quite a bit.
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Mini ice age is coming! It was in finnish news site (or dunno if it was a news site but some site anyway where this case was handled).

Anyway it was said somewhere that the area of North Pole's glacier has increased by 20% or something already.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

If non-ice-ages last only 10,000 years then evolution must work a lot more quickly then most people think.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

It IS warm atm in most parts of the world.
You just were in cold spot.
(Map shows deviation for long term average for that week).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/p ... 0106b.html
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

its a period of extreme glaciation; there are areas that remain ice free... the glaciers advance very slowly, giving animal and plant species a chance to relocate. i'm sure that it would influence the evolutionary process though

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”