Work for Me for Free!!! - Page 5

Work for Me for Free!!!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Work for Me for Free!!!

Post by smoth »

. .
Attachments
1263662835299.jpg
1263662835299.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 894 times
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:. . Image
Heh. brilliant... awesome.
smoth

Post by smoth »

it works on several levels :P
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

sky is blue.

damn im soooo brilliant. awesome.

it works on several levels too :regret:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Sefidel wrote:this is the worst place to look for teammembers. spring players are notorious for being loners.
you are on my watch list for that coment. like everybody else is.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Can I get paid for no work? If so we have a deal.
smoth

Post by smoth »

TradeMark wrote:sky is blue.

damn im soooo brilliant. awesome.

it works on several levels too :regret:
you are a smart one..

it is a motivational poster about a lack of motivation...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

helloy everyone, this is a chewbacca...

-> your argument is invalid.
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Oh dear

Sinbad

Im somewhat aghast at the request you propose, and some of the things you say though I am sympathetic, and I recognize you have some things wrong that are simply misinterpretations and mistakes on your part.

Firstly, deadlines etc, huge no no, there are mounds of evidence to suggest how to do this correctly, and this is not a fulltime job, we here do this of our own free will and time, I certainly don't develop my projects because I expect ot be paid, and I have my course to think about and looking for a job for when I graduate. I dont want deadlines, Id rather surprise everybody with something new, or go 'oh look Im done already =p'.

Now what you want to build is within your grasp, just yours, you can do it on your own, even with the time restraints of a family. Heck the number of characters youd have to type to write it is likely far smaller than the characters typed in your posts on these threads.

You have the programming skill to figure it out, but for some reason your not taking the baby steps necessary, and you're overcomplicating things, and thinking of it on a big picture scale. Your then refusing to break it apart into the easy sub chunks.

For example, anyone here who wants to make a game but cant model or texture need only use lua gadgets to render billboarded quads with a texture, and Ive been shown the code, and its very small, tiny in comparison to this paragraph, nevermind this post.

What about an openGL game? Rendering squares with textures on isnt hard, and loading the textures is easy, and you have people here to help. There are classes that vastly simplify loading of models, I know of a 3ds loader class i used not long ago that took 3 lines to load and draw:

Code: Select all

Model_3ds tree;
tree.load("tree.3ds");
tree.draw();
You know loops right? Couple that with Glut/freeglut and youve got a lot of it sorted for you already.

Prototyping new software is the fast and easy part, once youve got something working, its the polish and cleaning up thats the work, that last 20% that takes up 80% of the time.

You dont need anybody here, you don't need to manage either, especially since the people here are capable of managing themselves.

But if you really want people to help take note of the following:

People helped me on my projects because of the effort I put into them.

KDR was attracted to working on gundam ebcause he wanted to and because of the work smoth put into it, not because smoth started a recruitment thread on here

People worked on the spring engine because of the work SJ and the rest of the SYs, not because they started a random thread on TAU before theyd done a line of code

You cant expect people to contribute when there is nothing of substance, nor when you arent putting effort into it. Things need momentum! Look at Infinity universe, do you really think the developers would have a community sending them models and concept art and textures if they didn't post updates and screen shots and videos? Those developers journals do them wonders.

Whereas right now you're not even sure what you intend to build.

What I suggest you do is tart a mini site with a page for each project. Flesh them out like a wiki with concept art and details, and mark out the ones that youve actually started work on. Make a lot of progress updates, and advertise help on individual projects rather than these kinds of threads.

If you need help implementation wise, I can help point you in the right direction so you can immediately get started.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”